The Diesel Stop banner

7.3 idi straight pipe

27K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  oldrebuiltdodge 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! i am very new to this forum ( just signed up 2 minutes ago) . i am currently getting my 1991 Ford F-250 into tip top shape and i had a question, right now im 15 so i want to trick this truck out. if i straight piped it, what would be the pros and cons of doing this, also, i do not know if my truck would sound good, so i was wondering if anyone would have suggestions, also!, my truck does NOT have a turbo on it, it is bone stock. thank you

#2 ·
straight pipe will be loud without a turbo, possibly illegally loud. otherwise no drawbacks

if your truck does what you want then I suggest you leave it alone

if you need more power I suggest you get a turbo, but be sure you need it, it's a lot of money or a lot of work

#6 ·
there is a coolant additive, you can buy coolant that comes with it or you can buy it separately. napa can sell you something, or go to a tractor store and ask for coolant with diesel cooling additive for a ford.

#8 ·
Just remember its not a hot rod straight pipes get you pulled over more trust me also I tend to stomp the throttle more just saying

#9 ·
also another question. my truck has been sitting for a good 3-4 years ( over that time i started up, but didnt drive it on the road). other than checking the fluids and replacing filters, is there anything i need to worry about?

#10 ·
If you know what your doing wheel bearings and u joints and all ball joints also coolant exchange

#11 ·
I have been pulled over twice for my turbo straight pipe for noise violations and I have 3" from the turbo back I would look at your local laws before you straight pipe it to see what the bylaws say about excessive noise from your truck.

#13 ·
DO WHEEL BEARINGS. I am also a teenager with one of these trucks, a 1984 6.9 idi non turbo, straight piped, and i neglected to do simple maintanence for a long time such as wheel bearings, greasing ball joints, tie rods, etc, and i ended up stuck 6 hrs from home on a road trip with a siezed wheel bearing. had to get towed home, new hub and rotor, etc. just over $600 in the end. bought the bearings for the other side for 30 bucks and did it in about 2 hrs on the first try. Save yourself the trouble of towing, etc. also, mine is straight piped as well and i think in sounds great. 25k miles in a year and half all over new england and no trouble, just keep an eye out for cops and lay off the gas if you see one

#14 ·
Tried straight pipe on my 90 idi, made it 3 days before a found a muffler I could slip in there, Sounded like a nascar when I got on it.

#16 ·
Start by replacing your IP. Having to pour water over it means it is wore out. Straight pipe? if you're going to do it, go all out. put dual stacks out behind the cab, and end them at just about window height, then you'll be sure to hear it.

#18 · (Edited)
6” Stainless stack through the bed and right behind the cab! Thats the way to impress everybody ?

OP, have you thought about a Walker BTM for a good sound?

Attachments

#21 ·
I agree. I have always liked to hear myself think. I also have spent so much time around loud engines, I just don't want to listen to them any more

Reactions: LMJD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.