7.3L IDI more power? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L IDI more power?

I have a 1991 7.3 idi with a banks turbo and the fuel turned up a bit. I recently have gotten a broken metal fuel line probably from age, so while I'm already in there id like to complete my build goals for the truck. the question is id like to add water/methanol injection and turn the fuel up some more along with some new injectors due to age of old ones. Also looking at opening the waste gate to allow around 15psi. Can the block handle this and the extra boost if I also install head studs. Was also thinking of fabricating in an intercooler. I really like this truck and have owned it for a long time and do not wish to build a powerstroke instead but I also don't want to destroy my current block.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 10:06 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
JMO, leave it alone. Longevity over modifications all day long. These things were not built to race the 1/4 mile, they are built to win a marathon.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:17 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
JMO, leave it alone. Longevity over modifications all day long. These things were not built to race the 1/4 mile, they are built to win a marathon.
And tow a house while doing so.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-06-2018, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

I'm fully aware of the fact that they are not fast trucks but I would like more out of it. The methanol injection will be mild just to keep temps down. As for the rest I would just like to know if the block can handle those mods or if it's asking too much of the motor. My mind has been made up about wanting More out of the truck but how much is too much.
Thx in advance
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 07:20 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
As for the rest I would just like to know if the block can handle those mods or if it's asking too much of the motor.
A Ford engineer (not a forum keyboard mechanic) who actually was in on R&D back when these engines were new, found that it wasn't the blocks or headgaskets that would fail with boost over 10-12lbs. but the longevity of another internal engine component was effected. As far as an intercooler on these small diesels, I've towed hard and heavy for most of 249,000 miles and I fail to see any great advantage to one.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Ok so the intercooler is not necessary but as for the week links in the motor that failed, what were they so I can address the issues so they don't become one. Thx again
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristen O'Neill View Post
Ok so the intercooler is not necessary but as for the week links in the motor that failed, what were they so I can address the issues so they don't become one. Thx again
That would be a little hard to address without wheelbarrows full of money. FoMoCo research found that over a period of time excessive boost battered the piston wrist pins so badly the wrist pin bores become elongated. Plus I could quote word for word from my old ATS turbo installation instructions where they say don't dick around with the wastegate factory setting. Upping boost more than their research found ideal actually causes a decrease in power due to ruining the cylinder scavenging effect built into their system. Same would apply to Banks. Also it's not A motor that failed, Ford and other mfgrs study data nation (world?) wide with what causes failure rates in addition to their own engines on test stands, etc. But whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by LMJD; 06-07-2018 at 04:02 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 05:46 PM

If you really do like that truck then leave it alone, or you won't have it much longer without doing some major overhaul work. When you increase HP output in ANY engine (from manufacturer's specs.) you give up life span. That goes for motorcycle engines all the way up to humongous stationary engines. You can "fix" one weak spot, and another will raise its ugly head. I know this because I've done it when bosses demanded it of me. Then I watched a perfectly good engine scatter itself all over creation.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Ok well I've taken it all into consideration but what about if I just went with the methanol injection to help cool the egt temps. What's your opinion about that. I was thinking of a stage 1 kit not for much power increase but for temps so I can use more of the power I have. Thx for the impute
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 06:08 AM

My Photos: (7)
What are your EGT now. Are you towing or just driving.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 08:12 AM

What are you planning on hauling? My gooseneck flatbed weighs 4200 lbs. and I haul my 7500 lbs. skid steer on it with no EGT problems pulling the long grades. When the EGT starts to rise I just grab a lower gear or two, got to keep from lugging the engine anyway. Hauled loads of hay heavier than that with no EGT trouble either. Don't remember Chuckster57 complaining of any high EGT trouble either when he had his super heavy RV.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

If I hold the throttle to accelerate they go to 1100 but I try to keep them around 900. I keep the rpm above 2000 when hauling. Usually around 4k pounds. The problem I had was actually when I got into higher elevation and had to climb long grades, the truck was empty but I was having a hard time keeping them below 1000egt with constant monitoring of temps.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 11:53 AM

I want to run an innercooler, not for some sort of HP gain, but for the ability to cooler my intake temps, which should in theory improve longevity. Heat = damage.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristen O'Neill View Post
If I hold the throttle to accelerate they go to 1100 but I try to keep them around 900. I keep the rpm above 2000 when hauling. Usually around 4k pounds. The problem I had was actually when I got into higher elevation and had to climb long grades, the truck was empty but I was having a hard time keeping them below 1000egt with constant monitoring of temps.
I live at 5100ft., went across the border into MT yesterday pulling my 4000 lb. flatbed, picked up a set of 600-800 plow discs and EGT never got to 1000 pulling the short grades. On the flat level, no trailer, cruising EGT stays 300-400.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Well I can only speak for my numbers. Possibly due to the fuel has been turned up but regardless I don't want to turn the fuel down cuz I like the power it has. I've read that methanol can help around 200 degrees. My gauge is installed pre turbo on the manifold in case anyone wondered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in