Air Intake - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Air Intake

im looking to get rid of this stupid soup boul air intake and get something esle is this possible if not what can i do to make the air intake better

1988 Ford F-250 Custom 4x4 7.3 IDI International Diesel Three speed C6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:53 PM

you can custom make one for under 400 bucks witha afe cone filter i was going to do it but ran out of money when i had to replace the rad

94 F250 5 speed 7.3 IDI turbo 4x4 ext cab long box
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 10:03 PM

best bet is to make your own you could even do it outta pvc and paint it, believe me it can be done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 10:08 PM

i got a quote for my custom air intake about 400 bucks with filter that is all the piping clamps and the elbows to bring it to the driver side like it sits now easy to do and after and hour or to and you can have it done

i'd stick away from pvc looks shoty and kinda cheap even painted

94 F250 5 speed 7.3 IDI turbo 4x4 ext cab long box
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 10:19 PM

hey im new to this sight, and im not sure how to set my own thread... but i was just wondering... i have a 89 ford diesel and i was thinking about putting a turbo on it, what is the best turbo and is it worth it?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 11:47 PM

My Photos: (13)
Apparently this is supposed to work on our trucks- 2001 DODGE RAM 1500 PICKUP AirAid Cold Air Intakes - AirAidSales.com - AirAid Products

And this one for sure does- Hypermax - Catalog

85 F250 XLT Lariat 4x4 7.3L N/A, C6, 315/75/16 Siped Wild Country Muds, Manual ZD9s, K&N, Soup Bowl Out, Dura-Lift Pump, Dynomax 3" Y-pipe-4" AFE Muffler-5" Turndown.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turn it up!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 01:21 AM

My Photos: (3)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy94f250 View Post
i got a quote for my custom air intake about 400 bucks with filter that is all the piping clamps and the elbows to bring it to the driver side like it sits now easy to do and after and hour or to and you can have it done

i'd stick away from pvc looks shoty and kinda cheap even painted
not if you do it right ill try and get some pics on here
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 12:32 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 88beast
i used a sbc style air cleaner with a 3 inch tall element
then i made a 2.5 inch riser out of sheet metal self tapper screws and silicone to seal it up
much better flow and you dont have to check the filter to see if its dirty just peak under the hood plus chrome on an idi looks great

88 f250 96 bed 95 front clip western mirrors and big ole bumper.

7.3 idi t70, 3g, g31,

other mods, oba, warn winch, big steel goodies including a headache rack etc.

check out my site at
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 04:33 AM

My Photos: (11)
Send a message via AIM to CDX825 Send a message via Yahoo to CDX825
Allot of people will disagree but the stock filter is going to be better than a small cone filter. Especially one mounted in the engine compartment pulling warm air.

I would remove the soup bowl and set up ether ram air or cowl induction. If your still not happy get an aftermarket drop in filter such as a K&N or AFE etc.

Cone filters to me are cheezy and cheap and scream "ricer" and unless you get a big one you will have no where near the surface area of the stock filter.

-Justin

1984 F250 6.9 C6 2WD Push Button Glow plugs, No Soup bowl. Wix 33439 Water Separator, Carter P4594 fuel pump, Custom 3" Exhaust, NTZ Oil Bypass Filter, VDO Vision water temp gauge, ISSPRO EV Pyro

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:03 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 88beast
thats why i did mine like i did my buddy has one on his and its so gutless he cant find out why and wont listen
i plan to run a cone filter after i go turbo but itll be huge and mount right off the turbo

88 f250 96 bed 95 front clip western mirrors and big ole bumper.

7.3 idi t70, 3g, g31,

other mods, oba, warn winch, big steel goodies including a headache rack etc.

check out my site at
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 10:41 AM

My Photos: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDX825 View Post
Cone filters to me are cheezy and cheap and scream "ricer" and unless you get a big one you will have no where near the surface area of the stock filter.
Here's pics of my rice boy intake on my pickup. Still working out what I'm doing with the CDR. I intend to keep it though, with the POSSIBLE exception that I'd consider an oil sep instead...

For those too lazy to follow the link, I bought a 1997+ intake, cut it and put it on my Impreza, took it off the Impreza when I sold it (buyer wanted a quiet car) and then I cut it up some more, bought one more silicone sleeve, and made an intake for my F250. I wrapped the stock paper filter in a circle and it was still smaller than the "ricer" cone filter; meanwhile, cloth breathes better than paper. I clean and oil it periodically with a K&N kit. Pedal response improved noticeably over the stupid aluminum ATS airbox and crap paper filter. I put the cone up at the front of the engine bay where it gets a little cooler air, but I'm still thinking about ways to bring in more cold.

Short form, even a ten dollar eBay cone filter kicks the crap out of the paper rectangle. Take 7.3_idi's advice and buy an intercooler piping kit, you can run that cone about anywhere you want. Aluminum piping cuts easy with a hacksaw in a miter box, or insanely easy with a cut-off wheel in a miter saw. For turbo trucks, a shorter intake leads to less turbo lag, so be conservative with piping. You can put the cone in a SUFFICIENTLY LARGE can, and bring piping into the end of the can for a cold air extension, allowing you to mount the cone wherever you like, and to bring in cold air from anywhere you can run the piping. Come to think of it, a can like that might be a good place to mount a CDR if you decide to keep it. The relative merits of various intake designs have been discussed absolutely to death by import tuners, to whom this stuff is highly relevant. Good luck!

1992 F250 XLT 4x4 Super Cab 7.3 IDI E40D 3.55 ATS 088 4"R.C 360k
1982 MBZ 300SD W126 California model w/Sunroof, no EGR
1997 Audi A8 Quattro 225k Warm/Cold packages
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 05:59 AM

My Photos: (13)
The hypermax cowl induction is a worthwhile investment. I noticed the power increase right off the bat, and the egts drop about 300+ deg across the board

'92 F-350 Crew Cab dually,7.3 5 spd+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie, Solid Flywheel w 12 1/4" Kevlar Clutch, ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl induction, MS Tech Fan Clutch, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator, 4" Exhaust, Air seat, Western Hauler bed.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 08:51 AM

My Photos: (25)
I'm actually seriously considering a hood scoop. If you combine that with some of that heat blanket stuff you can build a nice cold air intake. I want a nice smooth scoop though, no bird catching for me (that's what the grill is for!) Alternately, I think it would be brilliant to do a top-mount intercooler, but I've never seen any big enough. You'd need two. With even a small body lift there would be PLENTY of underhood room... Maybe even without one.

1992 F250 XLT 4x4 Super Cab 7.3 IDI E40D 3.55 ATS 088 4"R.C 360k
1982 MBZ 300SD W126 California model w/Sunroof, no EGR
1997 Audi A8 Quattro 225k Warm/Cold packages
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in