Air intrusion 7.3 idit more confused after reseaching - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air intrusion 7.3 idit more confused after reseaching

1993 F-350 CC Dually 164,xxx miles 7.3 idit
Started getting noticeable air intrusion a couple month ago.
Return line caps, o-rings and connecting hoses were replaced about 8000 miles ago, however 8000 miles ago was January 2013...
After some research I installed clear vinyl hoses from the IP to drivers side return, fuel filter to passenger side return and return to fuel tank at the back of the engine.

Start the truck and once the air purges I don't have any bubbles from the IP to return but I have a lot of bubbles from the passenger side return to the filter and a few bubbles out the return to tank. If I crimp the line between the fuel filter and passenger side return and get a lot of bubbles out the return to fuel tank line. IP to drivers side return remains bubble free. No visible fuel leaks anywhere.

Shut off the engine and I get air in all three return lines.
I attempted to install a clear line on the suction side of the lift pump but my clear hose was to soft and just collapsed. I did discover the rubber hose down there was in very poor condition so I replaced with new.

From the youtube video where I learned about connecting the clear lines, the author suggested that air between the passenger return and the filter indicated bad return line caps or o-rings. The current return system only has 8000 miles on it but are over 6 years old. Typical of internet forums, some research indicates the return line system should be replaced every couple of years and other folks say a newly replaced return line system should be good for 100k miles.

Before I start throwing parts at it I'd appreciate advice from the 7.3 gurus.

Thanks!

1993 F-350 Crew cab dually. 7.3 IDI Turbo. 5sp manual 2wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 05:41 PM

I would check the return lines on the right side. Remember, air will get in where fuel can't get out. Pour a little fuel around the caps, and hose ends and see if the bubbles go away for a short time. Might help you identify the culprit. You should also check the line from the filter to the IP, the rubber ferrules can get hard and crack, while you're at it, check the line between the filter and the lift pump, same reason.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in