Alternate Fuel Tank Selection Valve - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By LMJD
  • 1 Post By Hoko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Alternate Fuel Tank Selection Valve

Is there an aftermarket fuel tank selection valve that can be used in our trucks?

94 F350 7.3 IDI Turbodiesel 4x2 CC E4OD transmission, 4.10 gear ratio, 10.25 ring gear, limited slip, single rear wheels, long bed, Tru-Cool Max 45k transmission cooler l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 11:34 PM

With a relay, I'd assume you could run any selector valve. I've used hydraforce valves in the past for auxilary tanks. They are rather durable if you get the viton seals. However, they wouldn't wire-up easy. You'd have to run a relay from the power supply of the stock valve to power the aftermarket valve. Also, you'd have to get creative with the fuel level sender wires... maybe run a manual switch or an NC relay. But anything is possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 09:53 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoko View Post
Is there an aftermarket fuel tank selection valve that can be used in our trucks?
You can always convert to the old style used in diesel trucks. No electrical involved, they're brass and mount on the floor, far left between the seat edge and the door. The knob (turned manually) is above the floorboard, the valve is below. The original tank switch would only run the tank senders.
Hoko likes this.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 03:26 PM

I just got a new one off eBay. It was close to 300 and I can find the part number if you want but all the auto parts stores including the online ones show a different one than what I (and probably you) have. Easy install and everything clicked right up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
You can always convert to the old style used in diesel trucks. No electrical involved, they're brass and mount on the floor, far left between the seat edge and the door. The knob (turned manually) is above the floorboard, the valve is below. The original tank switch would only run the tank senders.
Wow, shouldn't be any maintenance problems with that valve! What do I call that for an internet search?
So I would leave the factory valve in place to run the guage and hook the tank lines to the brass valve?

94 F350 7.3 IDI Turbodiesel 4x2 CC E4OD transmission, 4.10 gear ratio, 10.25 ring gear, limited slip, single rear wheels, long bed, Tru-Cool Max 45k transmission cooler l

Last edited by Hoko; 05-02-2018 at 08:59 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Those valves don't have fuel return port do they? You need a 6 port valve.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 10:52 PM

ALso, those valves won't switch the wires for the fuel level senders, so the fuel gauge won't switch between tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 06:32 PM

My Photos: (27)
If you look, I said above you would have to use the original tank dashboard switch to switch tank sending units.
Like any diesel, the manual switch has return ports too. All the original fuel lines would have to be rerouted to it.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Why don't you want to use the original-type? The original is most-likely a Pollack anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by genscripter View Post
...you'd have to get creative with the fuel level sender wires...
Not really - just move the pins around so the truck is wired like a gasser. The switch would directly switch the level senders.

(phone app link)
Quote:
What do I call that for an internet search?
"Fuel tank selector valve"
Quote:
Originally Posted by genscripter View Post
...the fuel gauge won't switch between tanks.
With the dash switch rewired, you'd be able to CHECK the fuel level in each tank, without necessarily CHANGING to that tank. That's how early Broncos were set up: a switch on the dash for the fuel gauge, and a valve on the floor for the actual fuel.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok, would a valve like this one work? I'm assuming the connections are forward tank, back tank and lift pump.
[IMG][/IMG]

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Ok, would a valve like this one work? I'm assuming the connections are forward tank, back tank and lift pump.
[IMG][/IMG]
IN my opinion no, You still have returning fuel to deal with , that is why you need a 6 port valve. This type of valve only works where there is no fuel returning to the tank.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This one is for marine use but it looks like I could make it work.
[IMG][/IMG]
Randy 4614 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in