Another New Guy with starting issues - Page 4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 05:00 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeonpony View Post
(Off topic new forum lay out looks horrible <_< )
Go into your profile and choose the Classic view.

Edit - you can also scroll to the bottom of any page, there's a drop-down on the left side that says "TheDieselStop.Com (Full)". Click that and switch to Classic.

Last edited by madpogue; 03-01-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MUCH better! Thanks.

New truck: 1988 F-350 1 ton dualy 2*4, 7.3L IDI Naturally Aspirated, Dual tanks with Camper package.
Mods: Enhanced gauge cluster; Transmission temp, rear diff temp, coolant system pressure, Vacuum pressure, Fuel pressure, Crappy tire Air horn Kit, Raycor pre filter/water sep. All LED Dash lighting, Parker LFS tranny filter, super duty tranny cooler, gerret turbo, waste gated (pending).
post #48 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Instead of tearing the ignition system apart, I'm going to wait until the problem resurfaces to diagnose it. I suspect it's in the column but that's just a hunch right now. Thanks for all of your input guys.

I had a heck of a time going through old posts on here finding the right part number for the fuel heater o-ring but for everyone's info it's IH 1811053C1. That is obviously the IH part number, nobody carries the Ford version anymore, so I won't bother with that. I ordered mine through finditparts.com, which was the only direct shipping website that had them. The guys at my nearest IH dealer were more than happy to order some, but it didn't make sense to drive all the way down there. The only other solution I found was to order a replacement heater assembly for 140 from IH that would come with the o-ring. Hopefully that doesn't become necessary. I'd definitely eliminate the whole thing before doing that.

So while I'm waiting for my o-rings to show up I am trying to figure out why I barely have a dribble of fuel in the return lines on the DS. I've attached the video of me cracking the #2 injector line. There was no real significant bubbling, and I think the spray was as strong as it should be, but I would take input from more experienced guys of course. It ran rough while loose then smoothed out when I tightened back down. If I'm right on that, then I have to think that the #2 return bonnet isn't sealing well. It's the only one that wasn't replaced by the mechanic when they pulled the DS head off, and here's why: the new kits have a 2 way outlet on the front DS, but my original has a 1 way going towards the rear. Looking at the set-up now, there is a metal line coming up from the rear of the block at a 4 way junction of return lines. Should I just eliminate that, run a 3 way junction with the regular soft lines, and use the 2 way on the front DS with the IP return line hooked to it? Is there a place to buy these caps individually or do I need to buy a whole return kit? Or do I just beg them off of mechanics?

1989 F350 Lariat Automatic 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed (The Voluptuous Big Red)
7.3L IDI Non Turbo (for now...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 07:37 PM

Used to able to get to get them on rock auto cheap, I just looked now to find you the link but I can no longer find them <_< but I have it set to cad currency only (Not sure if it is effecting the resualts)

New truck: 1988 F-350 1 ton dualy 2*4, 7.3L IDI Naturally Aspirated, Dual tanks with Camper package.
Mods: Enhanced gauge cluster; Transmission temp, rear diff temp, coolant system pressure, Vacuum pressure, Fuel pressure, Crappy tire Air horn Kit, Raycor pre filter/water sep. All LED Dash lighting, Parker LFS tranny filter, super duty tranny cooler, gerret turbo, waste gated (pending).
post #50 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 07:40 PM

My Photos: (7)
Another New Guy with starting issues

I used a Viton O ring, rolled it onto a ratchet extension, and rolled it against my grinding wheel. I messed up a couple but I was able to make one that hasn't leaked for 6 years now.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #51 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Chuckster are you saying you used a grinder to fit the o-ring or were you referring to the bonnets for the return lines?

1989 F350 Lariat Automatic 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed (The Voluptuous Big Red)
7.3L IDI Non Turbo (for now...)
post #52 of 52 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 08:43 PM

My Photos: (7)
I used the grinder to create a flat edge for the fuel heater seal.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in