Bed Removal - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bed Removal

I noticed that some of you have removed your truck bed to work on your fuel tanks. I have this task coming up and so I was wondering what your experience was? I might also add that I have experience installing a new fuel tank laying on my back so I know what that entails. How did you go about it? Did you utilize a tree branch with block and tackle or wench it off back wards? Seems like there would be a lot of wire disconnects. Thank you for any responses.

1994 F250 HD, IDI Diesel, 3:55 gears, K&N filter, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Monroe HD SensaTrac shocks, dual pillar pod with temp & tranny guage, poly fuel tanks,aluminum racing radiator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 10:37 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Bed Removal

I'm sure the OBS is the same or very similar. Very few wires to disconnect. There are 1-2 plugs in the rear where the wiring along the frame jumps to the taillight wiring and trailer connection. You can either get 4 friends to help lift or cut a 2x4 to fit under your bed rails to lift with an engine hoist or whatever you've got. Also, don't forget to disconnect the fill hose at the fill door(s)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 AM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Bed Removal

RT has it nailed. Only thing I do is leave the rear bolts on but with only 2 or 3 threads in the nut. That way it can't slip and hit the ground. I use a strap across the front stake holes and my engine hoist.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 11:27 AM

My Photos: (25)
I remove the D/S bolts and loosen the P/S and then I slip a 1x1 steel tube into one of the tubes in the frame and jack that... after dealing with wiring of course. Gives access.

1992 F250 XLT 4x4 Super Cab 7.3 IDI E40D 3.55 ATS 088 4"R.C 360k
1982 MBZ 300SD W126 California model w/Sunroof, no EGR
1997 Audi A8 Quattro 225k Warm/Cold packages
Old 02-03-2013, 01:55 PM

If you have a open frame garage you can put a 4x4 across 6 rafters and use a come-along and lift it up enough to drive it out from under it. there was two plugs at the rear above my trailer hitch, one for each side. and if your going to leave if off for a bit two saw horses will hold the box.

1993 7.3 IDI, crew cab, long box, 4x4 and a half, XLT with ATS turbo.
Glowshift Boost, Trans, Pyrometer gauges with glow shift pod.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:57 PM

I lifted mine off with a bucket loader and put a peice of plywood between the cab and bed/rear window, but 4 people lifting is no sweat too. totally worth taking the bed off for access to the tanks.

1993 f-250 7.3l xlt, banks turbo, ext. cab long bed, two tone brown n tan, 160k, rebuilt e4od, ofi ip, bb codes, 4" banks straight pipe. (big brown)
Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 PM

its no sweat unless you have rust in the wheel wells. every truck i've ever owned i had to take the bed off for something or another and each one had really bad rust in the wheel wells so the sides of the bed kept moving as we were carrying it. talk about a circus.

91' dakota 3.9l 4x4 103k ~ scrap
89' f250 7.3l 4x4 140k ~ toy/hauler
81 Kawi kz550 12k ~ resto project
98' intrigue 3.8l 185k ~ dd(definitely disabled)
R.I.P. my brother Andrew O. 12/12/1990-9/26/12
R.I.p. love of my life Sarah G. 4/12/1990-8/3/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in