Clutch issues again - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By LMJD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch issues again

Ok so I am going to start from the top about a year ago I had to replace my clutch. replaced with with a Valeo dual mast flywheel and a AMS auto clutch disk and pressure plate. both were 12 inch upgrades. after install had a problem with the firewall fixed that. now I have a problem when shifting mostly when I go to take off and starting. sometimes when I push in the clutch its easy and no problems but sometimes I push it down and its extremely hard and wont shift this is getting really annoying trying to go thru drive thru without grinding and tow trailers hook up and so on any help would be greatly appreciated.

1988 ford f250 2wd sadly in the works on making it a 4X4 5 speed 7.3 IDI 17 to 18 MPG average
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 07:35 AM

First check the pedal assembly under the dash. Look for slop on the linkages, and so-on. Then check the slave cylinder action, is it moving like it should? Is it leaking? Is the throw=out gearing sliding like it should? The most likely in what I mentioned would be under dash linkage/bushings

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:07 AM

My Photos: (27)
Assuming you have the ZF 5 speed, a common reoccurring problem is the throwout bearing collar binding on the input shaft bearing retainer that it slides back and forth on due to a gummy crud buildup. Ford came out with collar with a wiper on it to prevent the problem. Only other option, if that IS your problem, is remove the slave cylinder, rubber boot, and snake a vacuum hose in there connected to an oil squirt can and lube the retainer with a small amount of oil. It's a royal pain in the butt, but better than pulling the trans and all. I've had to do that every few years when I was using my truck 100% of the time.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 04-29-2019 at 12:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Assuming you have the ZF 5 speed, a common reoccurring problem is the throwout bearing collar binding on the input shaft bearing retainer that it slides back and forth on due to a gummy crud buildup. Ford came out with collar with a wiper on it to prevent the problem. Only other option, if that IS your problem, is remove the slave cylinder, rubber boot, and snake a vacuum hose in there connected to an oil squirt can and lube the retainer with a small amount of oil. It's a royal pain in the butt, but better than pulling the trans and all. I've had to do that every few years when I was using my truck 100% of the time.
Would it not be better to use like brake clean to get the crud off and keep the collar clean and dry then use a spray silicone for lube. Seems to me by putting oil on it attract dust and dirt. Just a thought.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 10:06 AM

Good points, Randy, but the problem is, it's like building a model ship in a bottle that's painted black. The clutch fork hole in the bell housing is only about 1 1/2" X 2 1/2" and as I remember the pressure plate is partially in the way. And of course on 4X4's the front driveshaft is partly blocking your vision. I've rigged up an 1157 tail light bulb wired to the battery that I stick through the fork opening to light up and see in the bell housing. Then you have to move the T.O. brg collar back and forth with a long screwdriver, snake in the vacuum hose to drip oil both sides of the collar and brg retainer. It would be about impossible to hit the right spots with a spray even with the "straw" on the end of the nozzle. After suffering through this, depressing the clutch pedal takes WAY less effort for a number of years.
Randy 4614 likes this.

Last edited by LMJD; 04-30-2019 at 12:09 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input I will try and use some spray this weekend and see if the problem comes back it has a new throw out bearing from when I put the clutch in and thankful its a 2WD

1988 ford f250 2wd sadly in the works on making it a 4X4 5 speed 7.3 IDI 17 to 18 MPG average
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
It would be about impossible to hit the right spots with a spray even with the "straw" on the end of the nozzle.
Quote:
Thanks for the input I will try and use some spray this weekend and see if the problem comes back it
Good luck with that, spraying in there blindly you'll get it everywhere but where it needs to go.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in