The Diesel Stop banner

Coolant is missing.

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Stroking it 
#1 ·
Its been a while guys.

I have a 94 1/2 factory 4wd F250. Good truck. Recently I went in to have the drivers door hinge pins replaced. New mechanic there said 'you have a coolant leak' in my stall. Yes the reservoir was low. I've never noticed one except for a blown hose once.

He being the new guy there, I took it to a different shop, where a trusted mechanic had moved to. He found leaking fuel return lines, and a weak/leaking turbo. He did a pressure check (24 hours), and agreed there is a coolant leak somewhere. No sign of it on the exterior of the engine. I've never had it reported thru the numerous 'oil report' tests I've had done. I've never noticed any 'baby poop' in the engine oil, but used diesel oil is rather dark.

He thinks its a head gasket going with perhaps a year to go to get it fixed.

Thoughts on this issue?

#2 ·
If there was a leak between the coolant journal & the combustion chamber of a turbodiesel, the cooling system would be loaded with exhaust, and it would probably blow the lower radiator hose off within seconds of cranking the engine. If the pressure test had pushed a significant amount of coolant into a combustion chamber, the engine would have hydrolocked when he tried to crank it. Did either of them do a dissolved-gas test on the coolant? Did either of them soap the top of the radiator during the pressure test?

(phone app link)

#3 · (Edited)
He did a pressure check (24 hours), and agreed there is a coolant leak somewhere.
Of course the system will lose pressure over a 24 hour period, the rubber seal on the tester isn't that airtight over that long of a time.
What did he mean by a weak/leaking turbo? A turbocharger's output is practically zero until the engine is under a load. At that time exhaust gas volume greatly increases which in turn drives the turbo vanes which in turn causes the turbo to put out its max boost pressure.

#5 ·
...over a 24 hour period, the rubber seal on the tester isn't that airtight over that long of a time.
I assumed he actually meant overnight (~12hr), and mine is airtight for more than 12hrs - I don't think I've let one sit for 24 yet.

(phone app link)

#4 ·
Top it off, and put a new radiator cap on it. Then watch the level, and put a pan under it when you park. A water pump leak can drive you nuts while it is still deciding it wants to really fail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.