Coolant is missing. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (9)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Coolant is missing.

Its been a while guys.

I have a 94 1/2 factory 4wd F250. Good truck. Recently I went in to have the drivers door hinge pins replaced. New mechanic there said 'you have a coolant leak' in my stall. Yes the reservoir was low. I've never noticed one except for a blown hose once.

He being the new guy there, I took it to a different shop, where a trusted mechanic had moved to. He found leaking fuel return lines, and a weak/leaking turbo. He did a pressure check (24 hours), and agreed there is a coolant leak somewhere. No sign of it on the exterior of the engine. I've never had it reported thru the numerous 'oil report' tests I've had done. I've never noticed any 'baby poop' in the engine oil, but used diesel oil is rather dark.

He thinks its a head gasket going with perhaps a year to go to get it fixed.

Thoughts on this issue?

94.5 F250HD Ext Cab XLT 4x4

Ford Factory IDI Turbo w/ATS Outlet/Downpipe upgrade with 4" exhaust system
ATS step 1 upgraded E4OD (only 'til it dies)

Sterling (Ford)10.25 4.10 R-diff,
Dana 50 4.10 F-diff

ISSPRO EV Pyro, Boost & Tranny temp gauges
Pillar Mount

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:36 AM

My Photos: (0)
If there was a leak between the coolant journal & the combustion chamber of a turbodiesel, the cooling system would be loaded with exhaust, and it would probably blow the lower radiator hose off within seconds of cranking the engine. If the pressure test had pushed a significant amount of coolant into a combustion chamber, the engine would have hydrolocked when he tried to crank it. Did either of them do a dissolved-gas test on the coolant? Did either of them soap the top of the radiator during the pressure test?

(phone app link)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:44 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
He did a pressure check (24 hours), and agreed there is a coolant leak somewhere.
Of course the system will lose pressure over a 24 hour period, the rubber seal on the tester isn't that airtight over that long of a time.
What did he mean by a weak/leaking turbo? A turbocharger's output is practically zero until the engine is under a load. At that time exhaust gas volume greatly increases which in turn drives the turbo vanes which in turn causes the turbo to put out its max boost pressure.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 04-21-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 12:14 PM

Top it off, and put a new radiator cap on it. Then watch the level, and put a pan under it when you park. A water pump leak can drive you nuts while it is still deciding it wants to really fail.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
...over a 24 hour period, the rubber seal on the tester isn't that airtight over that long of a time.
I assumed he actually meant overnight (~12hr), and mine is airtight for more than 12hrs - I don't think I've let one sit for 24 yet.

(phone app link)

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:31 AM

Check all the hose clamps. Water can leak and drop on the motor or someplace and when the engine gets hot it will evaporate and you won't see any drips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in