The Diesel Stop banner

Eliminating fuel filter heater

3K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  LMJD 
#1 ·
Hey all, I'm ready to eliminate the fuel filter heater and have the 1/2" npt tap and matching drill bit. Question is what should I put on the treads to seal plug? Also , any tips from people that have done this already? Thanks

#4 ·
#5 ·
Actually I've used the Permatex/Locktite tape a lot, but like the factory rep said, you have to start it a thread or two back tapering the windings, and most importantly, wind it on in the proper direction so it stays put. Been a life-saver winding it on thick on certain worn out sloppy hydraulic fittings.

#6 ·
Tape.

+1 on proper direction ?

+1 on taking the slop out of fittings.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info. I just found fuel dripping from steel line were it passes under oil pan on its way to lift pump. Can this line be replaced with hose? If not where do I find new steel line? Local shop doesn't have anything

#9 ·
Just fabricate one with 3/8 break line, use a bender to get nice clean bends.

#8 ·
I might continue to use a rigid line myself since it sounds like its upstream of the pump and the suction created could pinch a rubber line off...or atleast that would be my concern.

I am away from my truck but what are the attachments at the ends?

#13 ·
Wapping it the wrong way, and ending it in the wrong place are the two most common mistakes...besides over using it. I have had to make up as many as 30 fittings at one time. You just don't stop to cut it off each time you finish. If you pull it off right it won't string. The strigs I referred to in my original post, were when the fitting is taken apart. You have to be careful not to get that stuff in a hydraulic system or something equally as sensitive. When that happens you can really make a mess. Then there is always the fool who puts new tape over old instead of cleanig it off.

MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL

#14 ·
I know what you mean about breaking it off clean but not with Arctic gloves on...Lol

I cut every length.

MERRY CHRISTMAS !

Reactions: oldrebuiltdodge
#15 ·
I can't do anything that requires some finesse with gloves on. To make things worse, I got my hands frost bit years ago flyfishing and my hand muscles are weak and the cold really gets to them. I asked my vet at the time what gloves are warmest and he said he didn't have a clue. Said one day his hands were so cold he lost a fingernail pulling a calf.

#20 · (Edited)
I swear by these. They last about 6-8 hours and allow me to wear thin gloves for dexterity around instruments.

About $1/pair unless you find them on sale though...

There are things I miss about the old days but that pain of cold fingers going numb and then the throbbing pain as they warmed up in front of a cab heater is not one of them.

Attachments

#18 ·
If the weather is cold enough to gel your diesel fuel, the heater will supposedly warm the fuel IN THE FILTER. However that's not going to mean much when the fuel is gelled in all the other fuel lines. The heater has 2 (if I remember right) O-rings that can leak over time. Some guys choose to eliminate it and install a pipe plug instead. Otherwise the O-rings can be replaced.

Reactions: Randy 4614
#17 ·
Well... it does nothing, besides cause air intrusion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#19 · (Edited)
Forgot my cheaters and can barely read the text to go back and search if he is asking about AIH or fuel bowl heater.. What you say is true of the AIH. I deleted mine just to give a bit more room to the Valley floor.

But the fuel bowl heater I have always kept installed.
I do think the heater is valuable in frigid temps since so much “heated” fuel is returned to the tank even under WOT, but does the heated fuel make a difference? I can’t say with certainty.

#22 ·
I should add, I don't know if it's every winter, but our nearest Costco (Billings, MT) carries the chemical warmers in big bulk boxes at a very cheap price. I'd think the Colorado Costco's do too?

#23 ·
I would prefer to have a fuel heater in the truck for most of the country. The main issue with Diesel and cold temps is the cloud point of the fuel. This is when wax in the fuel comes out of solution and starts clogging filters not the fuel line. A fuel heater at the filter will help prevent this. Most fuel today is properly blended for the area you are driving, however, every now and then you hear of an issue. 18 years ago every fall you would see several posts pop up about people with fuel issue. Now if it is a leak monster and causing problems getting rid of it may be the answer. I had a 79 VW Rabbit in Minnesota back in the day. Manual said you could add a gallon of gas per tank of diesel, I used that and additive it worked at -40.
DENNY

#24 ·
Yep, that's why when my heater sprung a leak at the plastic plug I opted to buy a new one. Bad part is I drive my '91 so little nowadays it has non winterized fuel in it. I pour in the correct amount of Power Service (antigel formula) but don't know how much to trust it. Years ago there was an out of town box truck pulled over on the east edge of town with tarps all around the outside edges and a portable heater blowing under the entire truck. Those poor guys baby sat that thing for about 3 or 4 days trying to thaw out the diesel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.