Eliminating fuel filter heater - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 03:28 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maybe I am missing something, but what is the purpose of eliminating the fuel heater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 05:34 PM

Well... it does nothing, besides cause air intrusion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 06:26 PM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy 4614 View Post
Maybe I am missing something, but what is the purpose of eliminating the fuel heater?
If the weather is cold enough to gel your diesel fuel, the heater will supposedly warm the fuel IN THE FILTER. However that's not going to mean much when the fuel is gelled in all the other fuel lines. The heater has 2 (if I remember right) O-rings that can leak over time. Some guys choose to eliminate it and install a pipe plug instead. Otherwise the O-rings can be replaced.
Randy 4614 likes this.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
Well... it does nothing, besides cause air intrusion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Forgot my cheaters and can barely read the text to go back and search if he is asking about AIH or fuel bowl heater.. What you say is true of the AIH. I deleted mine just to give a bit more room to the Valley floor.

But the fuel bowl heater I have always kept installed.
I do think the heater is valuable in frigid temps since so much “heated” fuel is returned to the tank even under WOT, but does the heated fuel make a difference? I can’t say with certainty.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 12-27-2018 at 05:05 PM.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 01:26 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
I can't do anything that requires some finesse with gloves on. To make things worse, I got my hands frost bit years ago flyfishing and my hand muscles are weak and the cold really gets to them. I asked my vet at the time what gloves are warmest and he said he didn't have a clue. Said one day his hands were so cold he lost a fingernail pulling a calf.
I swear by these. They last about 6-8 hours and allow me to wear thin gloves for dexterity around instruments.

About $1/pair unless you find them on sale though...

There are things I miss about the old days but that pain of cold fingers going numb and then the throbbing pain as they warmed up in front of a cab heater is not one of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF6B2E05-3696-4B25-99E3-7057909BE308_1545891990911.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	126246  

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 12-27-2018 at 05:04 PM.
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
I swear by these. They last about 6-8 hours and allow me to wear thin gloves for dexterity around instruments.

About $1/pair unless you find them on sale though...I used to buy them myself and catch flack from all the crews for being a wuss.
Absolutely, we used to help a rancher yearly trail his cattle down from mountain grazing on horseback 17+ miles, then later 13 miles down a secondary highway from the beet fields to his pasture and I had the chemical hand warmers in my gloves and also in the toe of each boot. There's very little cab heat off the back of a horse at 10.

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 11:21 AM

I should add, I don't know if it's every winter, but our nearest Costco (Billings, MT) carries the chemical warmers in big bulk boxes at a very cheap price. I'd think the Colorado Costco's do too?

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 12:58 PM

My Photos: (8)
I would prefer to have a fuel heater in the truck for most of the country. The main issue with Diesel and cold temps is the cloud point of the fuel. This is when wax in the fuel comes out of solution and starts clogging filters not the fuel line. A fuel heater at the filter will help prevent this. Most fuel today is properly blended for the area you are driving, however, every now and then you hear of an issue. 18 years ago every fall you would see several posts pop up about people with fuel issue. Now if it is a leak monster and causing problems getting rid of it may be the answer. I had a 79 VW Rabbit in Minnesota back in the day. Manual said you could add a gallon of gas per tank of diesel, I used that and additive it worked at -40.
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
I would prefer to have a fuel heater in the truck for most of the country. The main issue with Diesel and cold temps is the cloud point of the fuel. This is when wax in the fuel comes out of solution and starts clogging filters not the fuel line. A fuel heater at the filter will help prevent this. Most fuel today is properly blended for the area you are driving, however, every now and then you hear of an issue. 18 years ago every fall you would see several posts pop up about people with fuel issue. Now if it is a leak monster and causing problems getting rid of it may be the answer. I had a 79 VW Rabbit in Minnesota back in the day. Manual said you could add a gallon of gas per tank of diesel, I used that and additive it worked at -40.
DENNY
Yep, that's why when my heater sprung a leak at the plastic plug I opted to buy a new one. Bad part is I drive my '91 so little nowadays it has non winterized fuel in it. I pour in the correct amount of Power Service (antigel formula) but don't know how much to trust it. Years ago there was an out of town box truck pulled over on the east edge of town with tarps all around the outside edges and a portable heater blowing under the entire truck. Those poor guys baby sat that thing for about 3 or 4 days trying to thaw out the diesel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in