The Diesel Stop banner

FINALLY! it's finished!

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  LMJD 
#1 ·
Good morning all!

Well, after a year of getting jerked around on this truck, I finally got the new jasper motor and turbo put in!
it sounds like any other diesel out there now, pretty much but for me? well, it's NEVER made these kinds of metallic purrings before so I'm still a bit in awe! Long story short? Bought it 5 years ago, had issues with oil dropping, running rough, smoking like I was fogging for mosquitoes in Miami, clattering away from a broken injector, shooting oil out the exhaust pipe like Linda Blair puking pea soup, oil in the radiator, so yeah, it was shot to sh*t.
Now, with the new motor, the total costs for rebuilding this truck and all the new parts? Close to $11 K I've invested in this thing! What I've done to it so far:

new trans filter and change
new drive shaft
new hubs and u joints in front (Moogs)
front differential oil changed
new steering gear box
new tie rods, ball joints and such
new ignition switch
new batteries, alternator and starter
new wiper motor,
new light assemblies all around
new interior roof, dash and seat
new air horn (sweet ass Wolo Giant low tone)
bed has been painted and sealed with bed liner
new fuel level sensor in front tank
new radiator
new front grill
new shocks all around

This is/was my first diesel and I fell in love with it! The only things I'm really considering next is a 4" exhaust pipe off the manifold. Keeping it the same old straight pipe just bigger diameter. then comes the new paint job: Twilight Blue Metallic. surprisingly, there is very little body rust! only around the top of the wheel wells is there a few inches of rust showing under the paint so the body work will be fairly easy!
Just wanted to add a big heart-felt THANK YOU to all of you in this forum too! Found LOADS of great info, tips, how-tos and everything I needed to get this bastard back on the road. gentlemen, we did it! THANK YOU!

See less See more
#2 ·
Be careful trying to sick a big downpipe in the truck. Clearance could be a problem. See if you have a EGT issue to start with, then upgrade as needed. Even a simple 1/2 in bigger diameter pipe will flow a lot more air. I have not worked on the early IDI trucks so take my advice with a grain of salt.
DENNY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.