The Diesel Stop banner

Fuel leaks down after sitting? Losing prime?

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Randy 4614 
#1 ·
Hey there,

We've got an old 88 7.3 F250 custom cab and if you don't crank it that often, it's like it loses its prime and takes forever to get it to crank. Just wondering what the could be allowing this to happen?

I am in the process of changing the fuel tanks on the truck, I've got the front tank replaced, the rear one is out but haven't put the new one in yet so it's running off the front tank. It hasn't run in a couple of years I'd say because both tanks had holes in them, but the truck did the same thing when I used to run it on the rear tank.

Replaced the piece that attaches to the end of the pickup in the tank since the original one was shot, I was hoping that might be like a check valve but I guess it didn't help.

Just trying to figure out what could be causing it the fuel to leak down and if it is a easy/hard fix or cheap/expensive fix.

Thanks,
Charlie

See less See more
#2 ·
Likely the injector return caps/lines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Randy 4614
#3 ·
My first thought would be leaking return lines and caps too. You can install a short piece of clear line where the return line connects back to the fuel filter. Air bubbles in it means leaking . Also the square rubber rings from lift pump to filter and to injector pump lines go bad too allowing air into system making for hard starting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.