Fuel Lift pump help - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By oldrebuiltdodge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Lift pump help

Well I started this project and I can't finish it. My truck won't start no matter where I position the lift pump on the cam lobe. Do i need to prime the fuel line or something?
I had absolutly no problems before I took the fuel pump off. I have a new starter, batteries, glow plugs, filter, just replaced rubber fuel lines in tank and outside of tank.
I know some air is in the lines from all the work I've been doing but I hold the schrader valve in when cranking and still no fire.
Any tricks to ensure the fuel pump is placed on the CAM just right? thats where I think I'm going wrong. it's so hard to see and even when I think i got it right, it still won't start.

1992 F-300(F-250 with DRW
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) Ext. Cab, LB, Dana 50 4x4, E4OD, 10.25 Sterling All stock work truck. it's ugly but I'm slowly liking it more. Just bought it in Sept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 08:57 PM

My Photos: (0)
Pull the pump back out, position the cam lobe to the top, and re-install the pump. take the line loose where it feeds into the filter, and see if the pump is working. then check to see if there is any fuel in the tank you are pulling from. Or just check the tank first and maybe save yourself all of that work.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Look for the DULL part of the cam, it needs to be down.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Look for the DULL part of the cam, it needs to be down.
Good point. Never thought about someone not knowing what to look for.

35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (2)
got it fixed, thanks guys. I got the pump installed ok, I had trouble priming the fuel system alone. hand primed it with a tube and syringe for like 2 hrs. with a couple of buddies, finally got it all primed up and starting. priming is a PITA. on to the water pump and a few other things

1992 F-300(F-250 with DRW
) Ext. Cab, LB, Dana 50 4x4, E4OD, 10.25 Sterling All stock work truck. it's ugly but I'm slowly liking it more. Just bought it in Sept.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 05:09 PM

The next time you prime it. Fill the filter full, then spin it on the starter. 30 seconds on, 1 minute off to let the starter cool, then 30 seconds on, so on and so forth. I have never burned a starter out using that method. works a WHOLE lot better than the syringe.
SGT JUNK likes this.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:47 PM

hi guys, i've been looking for some pictures of the cam position to help me (and anyone else) and haven't found them. Would someone please confirm that one of these photos is the correct position? My understanding is that the lobe on the right should be extended downward, vs the photo that has an almost smooth surface across the cam. However, it's my first lift pump install and not 100% sure what I'm looking for.

if so maybe this photo will help others..

thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6423.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	92314  

Name:	IMG_6424.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	426.5 KB
ID:	92322  

1992 F250 7.3 IDI Manual 4x4
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 08:15 PM

You want the DULL side at the lowest point. The shiny part is the lobe and you want no pressure on the pump arm when installing.

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 08:44 PM

thank you chuckster, is this what i am looking for:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6431.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	92346  

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 09:02 PM

Hate to say, but I can't tell by that picture.

Train Horns:

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 07:34 AM

Neither can I. The way I have always done it is: If you can't fairly easily mate the gasket surfaces, then you need to roll the engine a little until you can. Bolt it up, and you're there. I never was very good at standing on my head, just make sure that you're putting the lever under the lobe. This also worked on the old gas engines that used the same pump. The difference being that some of the levers went above the cam lobe. The way I always told the difference is by the wear mark on the old one, If it has been run any length of time it is easy to tell. You can also tell by the way the lever operates, and where the return spring is located.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 03:34 PM

followed as you said, got it bolted in and fired up. thanks for your help.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT JUNK View Post
got it fixed, thanks guys. I got the pump installed ok, I had trouble priming the fuel system alone. hand primed it with a tube and syringe for like 2 hrs. with a couple of buddies, finally got it all primed up and starting. priming is a PITA. on to the water pump and a few other things
Be a man and suck it! Diesel don't taste half as bad as gass!

New truck: 1988 F-350 1 ton dualy 2*4, 7.3L IDI Naturally Aspirated, Dual tanks with Camper package.
Mods: Enhanced gauge cluster; Transmission temp, rear diff temp, coolant system pressure, Vacuum pressure, Fuel pressure, Crappy tire Air horn Kit, Raycor pre filter/water sep. All LED Dash lighting, Parker LFS tranny filter, super duty tranny cooler, gerret turbo, waste gated (pending).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in