Got a alignment today, now have questions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got a alignment today, now have questions

My tires have been wearing on the outside so i decided i should do a alignment on it before my brand new tires become useless, so i go. The guy puts it on the lift and tells me that the nut for the gear box is loose and the long tie rod that goes from the pass side to the gear box is bad, but when he showed me it didnt look to bad so i had him tighten the nut and after that do the alignment. So he comes back after doing 90% of it and tells me that i have to replace the sleeves for the ball joints but wouldnt tell me which ones to get. And tells me oh yea by the way your rear end is bent. I said all that to ask this, in the picture is the before and after of my alignment can someone tell me how likely it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180928_090957_1538181987363.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	125582  

90 f350 2wd 7.3idi non T 5speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:34 PM

It looks like someone might have hit something with the RHR wheel(s) and maybe bent that spindle, but I doubt the whole axle housing is bent.

These are the camber cams I use, but your axle almost certainly takes a different PN:

(phone app link)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
would a shock being loose cause this as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:40 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog6154 View Post
No, shocks have nothing to do with alignment or steering. And unless you've had a front axle, front suspension type of impact collision, 99% of the time all these old Ford pickups need is the toe-in set. Of course that's providing tie rods and all aren't worn excessively.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
No. A bad shock can ALLOW other problems to exhibit themselves, but it doesn't actually CAUSE any wear or damage. The shocks only damp the action of the springs. Read this caption & follow the relevant links in it:

(phone app link)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
i meant the shock being loose on the rear would it make him think it is bent? or maybe the bearings are bad? as long as i've owned it it has not been in any accidents.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:42 PM

What does "loose on the rear" mean? The bolt is loose holding one of the shocks to the rear axle? Or are you talking about the nut holding it to the frame? Or are the bushings gone out of the shock eye(s)? Post pics, or describe it more-thoroughly.

No, nothing about the shocks would make any pro think the rear axle is bent.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:52 PM

Then why pin the poor guy down having him answer this which has nothing to do with his question??? He's trying to get advice for a problem, not here for an interrogation.

Quote:
What does "loose on the rear" mean? The bolt is loose holding one of the shocks to the rear axle? Or are you talking about the nut holding it to the frame? Or are the bushings gone out of the shock eye(s)? Post pics, or describe it more-thoroughly

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
One of the bolts that hold the shock to the axle is loose. I should have went into more detail.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I just wanted to know if i need to worry about a bent axle or if it was just some bearings that need changed.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 10:03 AM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

The pictures on the alignment report are misleading. That is not how your suspension looks. The SuperDuty trucks use a full floating axle. That means the rear hubs are riding on bearings that are on a spindle on your axle frame. The shocks do not contribute to the axle position going down the road in any way, shape, or form. The axle position is set by the leaf spring attachment to the frame and the axle attachment to the leaf springs.

If you haven't done so, check the bearings. They are a wear item and are old enough to need replacing. There are bushings in the leaf spring eyelets that can wear over time. I've replaced a few of them in vehicles going back to pre-50s models and even then they aren't in terrible shape. I doubt you have worn yours out.

I don't see anything in your alignment report that causes alarm. They got the front end lined up good. The rear is fine. Be happy.
LMJD likes this.

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 10:08 AM

Good points, RT.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
One of the bolts that hold the shock to the axle is loose.
That's very minor. Did the guy tighten it for you?
Quote:
I just wanted to know if i need to worry about a bent axle or if it was just some bearings that need changed.
Nothing you've posted suggests either of those, other than the guy telling you something was bent.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thank you very much for the feed back. no he did not tighten it. when i looked at the alignment i thought the same thing that the numbers was to far off from each other. i didn't be leave him when he said it was bent i figured if anything the bearings need to be changed but i just wanted to get some other thoughts on it. that is good to know how the axle works thank you. i thought the shock would have some input on that but i learned something new.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:56 AM

The shock only damps the spring - it doesn't hold the axle in-position. These show how the axle is put together:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

I thought the spindle (41 or 43 in the first diagram) was bolted on, but it looks like it's part of the axle housing (24). So if the spindle is bent, he was right - the axle is bent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in