Help Fuel Filter light - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help Fuel Filter light

Friday I ran my 90' F450 out of fuel. It stalled out at a stop sign

I got fuel reprimed the injectors and it fired right up
On my way home later that same day the fuel filter light came on. And it hiccupped a few times .
I got it home and got a new fuel filter the next day. Also at the time I never used the rear tank as it was leaking.

I replaced filter and repaired rear tank drove the truck on the front tank it hiccupped and surged and stalled.

On the rear tank it drove fine for a full day however at 2500 rpm the fuel filter light would come on and stay on.

I should say I filled both tanks after the filter change.

I drove to work today and it hiccupped on both tanks and the filter light stayed on.

I replaced the fuel filter again and it surges a little but doesn't buck near as hard as the hiccup the fuel filter light is staying on and I have to hold the throttle down or pat it repeadily to get the truck to start. It will start on it's own with out touching the throttle however it almost drains the batteries doing so.

I've checked fuel lines at both tanks at the selector switch at the lift pump at the filter at the injector pump and at the injectors and see no signs of leaking fuel.

I'm stuck any help is greatly appreeciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 09:00 AM

When the fuel filter lite comes ON, that means the lift pump is Not supplying enough fuel too keep the filter full. If the engine will still keep running, the IP pulls a vacuum which triggers the fuel filter lite, the switch is a vacuum switch.

I would replace the lift pump, if the LP diaphragm is bad, you could be getting fuel in your crankcase, check your oil level.

Any auto parts store has the LP's, about $26.

The LP is located on the Pass side, front of engine lower corner.

92 F350 Lariat, 2WD, Dualie, CC, LB, E4OD Trans, Banks Sidewinder turbo, GV O/U, Pyro, Boost, Oil temp, Trans temp. Chassis 129K, Engine 7.3L 75K. Bench seat.

"99.5 F350 7.3 PSD 4R100 CC LB 4X4 DRW 4:10 Centurion Conv.
ScanGaugeII SPDiesel Performance Module 40-60-80 HP -- A Pillar - Boost - Pyrometer - Trans.Temp. - Engine Oil Temp.GN Hitch 20K -- Reese 16K 5er Hitch - Draw Tite Brake Control - Aux. Trans. oil cooler - 100 Gal. Transfer Flow fuel tank, W/Trax II computer. DIY black bed liner. Red Knight

IDI firing order 12734568--------1&4-2&5-7&6-3&8 Cyl's @ TDC. 1&4 TDC when timing mark is @ 0. Each 1/4 turn, next 2.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks I was thinking Lp myself was afraid it could be the Ip tho due to the Lp being replaced when I purchased the truck a few months ago.

Will let you know what I find out have the Lp off and getting it warrantied today also picking up a rebuilt Ip just in case.

Also found an injector return line leaking and repaired it. But don't think a return line would trigger the light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datnoisey7.3na View Post
Also found an injector return line leaking and repaired it. But don't think a return line would trigger the light?
Nope, may just cause a start-then-die problem. An electric lift pump (a GOOD one, not a Chinese cheapie) will eliminate this and any possibility of getting fuel in your crankcase via the mechanical lift pump...
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 12:41 PM

When replacing the LP, make sure the Arm is under the Cam lobe. If it's on top it will pump fuel for a while but then destroy itself. Hard to see, but roll the engine over til the cam lobe is on the low point is on the bottom side, also makes the LP easier to install.

92 F350 Lariat, 2WD, Dualie, CC, LB, E4OD Trans, Banks Sidewinder turbo, GV O/U, Pyro, Boost, Oil temp, Trans temp. Chassis 129K, Engine 7.3L 75K. Bench seat.

ScanGaugeII SPDiesel Performance Module 40-60-80 HP -- A Pillar - Boost - Pyrometer - Trans.Temp. - Engine Oil Temp.GN Hitch 20K -- Reese 16K 5er Hitch - Draw Tite Brake Control - Aux. Trans. oil cooler - 100 Gal. Transfer Flow fuel tank, W/Trax II computer. DIY black bed liner. Red Knight

IDI firing order 12734568--------1&4-2&5-7&6-3&8 Cyl's @ TDC. 1&4 TDC when timing mark is @ 0. Each 1/4 turn, next 2.

Last edited by Trucker87; 02-13-2018 at 12:44 PM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
New Lp new filter new fuel injector return line parts. Truck starts on first key bump runs a few seconds then filter light comes on again.

Almost 6 psi at filter until light comes on then it jumps around from 0 to 6 .

Cleaning up Ip now to get it ready for install. This one should have been done hours ago and still giving me issues
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 04:26 PM

Have you checked your supply lines/switch valve/tank pick up lines to be sure all is well there? I've never seen a failing IP turn the filter light on. I did once have a chunck of ice give me fits though

i

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Checking supply lines and switch valve sat. No pick up tubes on this truck someone replaced them with a piece of hose.

Truck ran better after new Lp but still had light on so I swapped Ip out only to find out the Ip I got doesn't work so much for the rebuild guy in my area from now on its new only
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 06:30 AM

My Photos: (27)
Cut a fuel filter apart and see if you've got algae in you tanks.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datnoisey7.3na View Post
New Lp new filter new fuel injector return line parts. Truck starts on first key bump runs a few seconds then filter light comes on again.

Almost 6 psi at filter until light comes on then it jumps around from 0 to 6 .

Cleaning up Ip now to get it ready for install. This one should have been done hours ago and still giving me issues
You don't seem to understand.
It's NOT the IP giving you trouble, the IP is still sucking fuel from the filter.

The problem is the LP is NOT supplying fuel to the filter. I would venture to say you have a rubber hose collapsing somewhere between the tank selector valve and the LP or the selector valve output port is partially plugged.

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ok replaced all rubber hoses now have tons of fuel coming from Schrader valve. Pulled IP but put it back making sure the Ys where touching
Issue now is the truck won't start. I can use a little mix gas and it will start or attempt to start but that's it. I also tried starting it from inside the cab and it did sound like it wanted to but never started and I don't see fuel or mist in the carb bowl.

I'm stuck and need my truck.
Also the injectors are primed
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 08:00 PM

It needs to be primed. Charge your batteries up good, spin the starter 30 seconds at a time, with a minute rest. Repeat the process until it starts. It also helps to crack injector lines at the injectors until fuel comes out of them.

35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Been on it for 3 hours it coughs like its trying to start and that's it. I've killed the batteries twice now. Completely stuck and bothered. Any other recommendations.
Btw the injectors are soaking the return tubes with fuel so I know they are primed.

Also if there is air in the up is it supposed to get warm?
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 04:58 PM

It sounds like the glow plugs are not working like they should. Try plugging the block heater in for a couple of hours. See if a good warm ebgine will start.

post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Been in the 70s here and it will start if i pour fuel in the bowl run for a second and die then turn over like its not getting fuel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in