Help Fuel Filter light - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok. Starting issue and fuel filter issue solved. Got everything timed correctly and replaced all return line components as well as injector crush washers. Got it primed and had to replace an injector that was leaking.

Now truck starts and runs but runs rough and smokes like a train when holding steady throttle.

Could this be pump timing advanced or possibly water getting into oil or intake?

Only thing I removed beside ip and Lp was water pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Here are some pics of what I'm seeing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0224181632a.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	121218  

Click image for larger version

Name:	0224181639.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	841.0 KB
ID:	121226  

post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 10:08 PM

Is that the orriginal IP, or did you replace it? I lost track. The radiator pushing fluid out, as it warms up and with the cap off is pretty much normal, at least from what I've seen on the stuff I've worked on. I don't see any bubbles in it. The smoke and rough running could be from a number of things. What does it do when it increases in RPM? What does it idle like? Does the smoke smell like fuel? I had an advance piston in the IP stick once, it ran sort of like that. Mine ran good at high rpm and under load, but would smoke like it was fogging for mosquitoes at lower RPMs, idle, and coming down from high RPMs. You pulled the timing gear out, How did you line everything back up? There are some write-ups on this forum that describe how to do it without pulling the front of the engine off, but I don't think I would trust them, I would still need to see the marks just to be sure they are right.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ip is original . I pulled the number one glow plug and bumped the engine over until I got the compression stroke. Used a compression tester for this. Bumped it 2 more times after compression to get marks straight up and down.

Radiator pic was to show oil in water.
Truck barely smokes when idling but very hard to start. The pic of smoke is around 2k rpm.

When I first started the truck it was definitely fuel smoke I added water to radiator and smoke got worse. The truck only ran maybe 2 mins before I added water no long enough to overheat anything.

Pump timing maybe advanced a tad but its very close.

I pulled water pump and found that the water was possibly leaking through the timing cover plate at water pump...

I will let you know if its fixed when I'm done
post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 07:48 PM

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nick Cook Send a message via MSN to Nick Cook
I also don't see any bubbles but I would look closely to be sure you don't have cavitation.

Ive never seen orange coolant.... But then again I'm from Canada.

1991 f350 7.3 idi ambulance w/110,000km
(1xGen 3 alternator) + high idle mod 1200rpm.
Northern Alberta Canada
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 08:19 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cook View Post
I also don't see any bubbles but I would look closely to be sure you don't have cavitation.
You don't "see" cavitation unless you have a bare block and spot the tiny holes in the cylinder walls.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:04 AM

Ip is original . I pulled the number one glow plug and bumped the engine over until I got the compression stroke. Used a compression tester for this. Bumped it 2 more times after compression to get marks straight up and down
OK, you did good getting the #1 piston to TDC on the compression stroke, but why did you turn the engine over two more times ? It's impossible to see the marks unless you have the whole front cover OFF. The Y mark on the IP gear has to line up (Match) the Y mark on the Cam gear.

Once you have the #1 piston to TDC on the compression stroke, you have to move the damper pulley MARK to line up exactly in line with theO on the timing tab. Use a 15/16" socket and short extension on the damper pulley bolt to rock the engine back and forth to get the damper pulley MARK to line up with the O. DO NOT TURN THE ENGINE OVER WITH THE STARTER AGAIN.
Now with a marker pen, draw a line straight up and down from the Y mark, now count 17 teeth on each side of the mark and mark them, now draw a line across from them, now drop the gear in so the line is in line to the engine, the Y mark should be facing down, now put the IP gear cover ON, then install the IP, the dowel pin will put the IP in a static timing position, from there the IP should be timed with the proper equipment.

92 F350 Lariat, 2WD, Dualie, CC, LB, E4OD Trans, Banks Sidewinder turbo, GV O/U, Pyro, Boost, Oil temp, Trans temp. Chassis 129K, Engine 7.3L 75K. Bench seat.

"99.5 F350 7.3 PSD 4R100 CC LB 4X4 DRW 4:10 Centurion Conv.
ScanGaugeII SPDiesel Performance Module 40-60-80 HP -- A Pillar - Boost - Pyrometer - Trans.Temp. - Engine Oil Temp.GN Hitch 20K -- Reese 16K 5er Hitch - Draw Tite Brake Control - Aux. Trans. oil cooler - 100 Gal. Transfer Flow fuel tank, W/Trax II computer. DIY black bed liner. Red Knight

IDI firing order 12734568--------1&4-2&5-7&6-3&8 Cyl's @ TDC. 1&4 TDC when timing mark is @ 0. Each 1/4 turn, next 2.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datnoisey7.3na View Post
Ip is original . I pulled the number one glow plug and bumped the engine over until I got the compression stroke. Used a compression tester for this. Bumped it 2 more times after compression to get marks straight up and down.

Radiator pic was to show oil in water.
Truck barely smokes when idling but very hard to start. The pic of smoke is around 2k rpm.

When I first started the truck it was definitely fuel smoke I added water to radiator and smoke got worse. The truck only ran maybe 2 mins before I added water no long enough to overheat anything.

Pump timing maybe advanced a tad but its very close.

I pulled water pump and found that the water was possibly leaking through the timing cover plate at water pump...

I will let you know if its fixed when I'm done
If you didn't line up the timing marks, it won'trun worth a crap. It isn't like cold timing an old distributor, You have no idea when the IP is going to send its fuel shot to the cylinder, as you would when watching the ignition points in a distributor. That is why you need to line the marks up by the fatory marks on the gear. The best way to do that is to pull the front off of the engine, and visually make sure they are lined up correctly. There are other ways, but that is the only way that I would trust.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in