Here I sit waiting on a tow truck. - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
big update i finally got time to take things off and look at them, the alternator is bad and starter and i found that the big wire from the battery to the starter rubbed a hole in the cover and grounded out by the oil pan so i think that was the cause. so replacing the alternator i was thinking since i have emergency lights and a few more then most lights, would i be able to put a bigger on that puts out more amps or would that just mess things up? my truck does not have ambulance package.
8gitmusik1 likes this.

90 f350 2wd 7.3idi non T 5speed

Last edited by DevilDog6154; 03-12-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog6154 View Post
big update i finally got time to take things off and look at them, the alternator is bad and starter and i found that the big wire from the battery to the starter rubbed a hole in the cover and grounded out by the oil pan so i think that was the cause. so replacing the alternator i was thinking since i have emergency lights and a few more then most lights, would i be able to put a bigger on that puts out more amps or would that just mess things up? my truck does not have ambulance package.
Hey DD6154

Check out DB ELECTRICAL

I think this starter will work for your 7.3-nt-idi not 100% sure if is this one for you but, go to their website and enter your vehicle info to be sure.

DB Electrical.com

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...4-hi-tork.html

Item Description 7.3L Ford Diesel Gear Reduction Starter 85-94 Model years
Part number - SND0027
STARTER NOT OEM
$94.28Total *Free Shipping
Db electrical
Customer Service # 1-800-753-2242

Its a Nippo clone but as aGR starter its a decent design and better starting than stock.

NOTE:
They also have ALTERNATORS for your vehicle and may have the 3G higher capacity (if your looking to do the conversion and go serpentine belt )

They also have v-belt alternators that would go on your 1990 if your seeking now. They can be had at a good price and they have a fair return 1-year no questions warranty.

I used the GR starter above and have nothing bad to say and they shipped it and I recieved it in 24 hours with no upcharge for receiving it that quickly.

Hope this helps you.

And, just for the record, no I dont work for them or have any interest with them, just used their product.

YMMV

Btw, if ya need glow plug harness or push button glow plug complete new wiring harness and update to stancor/white rodgers contactor conversion, PM me and I'll give ya a great recommendation on doing that.

Good luck DD ... hope things work out.

Last edited by 8gitmusik1; 03-13-2019 at 11:17 PM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thank you.
8gitmusik1 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:54 PM

Using a reputable local rebuilder for your starter or alternator will give you the best quality, and is probably your best option but these shops are getting harder to find, as the few old, established and good guys that have the experience at least, in my area, have retired, or passed. Or new, from Oreillys or Napa, AZone, even if the parts are from asia, they can last a good while. Good luck with your fix.
LMJD likes this.

Last edited by 8gitmusik1; 03-15-2019 at 08:06 AM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
yea seems everyone i call to work on these trucks or get advice from them they laugh at me and tell me they dont work on them much anymore and the parts are hard to find.
8gitmusik1 likes this.

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 04:50 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

You would have to find the grumpy old grey haired senior mechanic to remember working on that vintage of truck.
8gitmusik1 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDriver View Post
You would have to find the grumpy old grey haired senior mechanic to remember working on that vintage of truck.
Heavy on the grumpy
8gitmusik1 likes this.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
lol. so i went with the alt that was in the truck. after weeks of my truck sitting i finally got to start her man i tell ya the excitement and happiness that i'm feeling right now, its like the day i first set eyes on it. now just have to find a clutch hose and she will be drive able.
8gitmusik1 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in