The Diesel Stop banner

How to change #5 and #7 glow plug

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mrelder 
#1 · (Edited)
I am working on a 93 f350 turbo diesel. I cant get it to start.
I have not done much to it so far.

Glow plugs just keep clicking and will not engage.
I checked the glow plugs and 6 of them are open (infinite resistance)
The truck has 154,000 miles and has been difficult to start for years.
Do I need to remove the turbo to get to the rear plugs? My big fat hands are having a hard time reaching.
Is there a trick?
My task will be to fix sinking brake pedal and clutch NOT disengaging all the way.
These appear to be common problems.
I have not tried ether yet; because I want to fix all "known" problems first; and the glow plug issue is number one.

#2 ·
1/4 drive with a swivel helps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I took a 10mm deep socket 1/4 drive and cut it off so that it just fits over the hex part. Wobble extension helps.

#3 ·
deep socket 1/4inch with a cv joint, and some flexing and contortionist work

#5 ·
Thank you guys for your help.
Lotta cussing and some blood, got them done.
Glow plug circuit clicks on and draws a lotta current, then a high-pitched whine for approx. 15 seconds.
Truck did NOT start, the batteries are very weak. It will barely turn over.
Batteries are on charge now.
The fuel filter light is on.
Is that an indicator of low fuel pressure; or does it just come on at a preset interval?
Thanks
mike

#6 ·
plugged filter + possibly water in fuel, depends on what light

These trucks need LOTs of juice on start up, even on the charger doesn't mean they will be healthy enough to start, so use the boost function on the charger if available would be my recommendation.

Some thing tells me it will be a bit of a fight.

#7 ·
Can't remember and am not going out to check right now since it's 13° but I think it's normal for the fuel filter light to come on momentarily when the ignition is first turned on, no?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.