The Diesel Stop banner

I need a part number.

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Selador 
#1 ·
Hi guys!

My truck scared the crap out of me a few days ago.

Temp gauge PEGGED! and engine light came on.

Got it home and figured out there was no problem. Coolant level was fine, and it was nowhere near overheated.

Spent a couple days researching here and elsewhere, and figured out there are two temp senors to be concerned with.

One actually runs the temp guage. The other is pretty much the idiot light sensor. The second one pegs the gauge, and turns on the red light, when the temp reaches 240.

Well, the temp never reached that point. Plus, after it sat overnight and was very cold... Turn the key on... Gauge pegs, and red light comes on.

I figured out that sensor was bad, by simply unplugging the correct sensor. The light went out, the gauge un-pegged.

Now, I still haven't found out whether the temp gauge still works or not. With that one sensor unplugged. I'd rather replace the sensor before trying it out.

But... Went to the parts store. Got the sensor that they INSISTED was the right one. (Even after I explained to them, the difference between the types of sensors.) Turns out, it's the wrong sensor. And its the ONLY one they have...

So, I need a part number.

I am going to TRY to attach a picture here, to show which sensor I am talking about.

Well, that didn't work. I wasn't allowed to post the pic. This is my first post. (Maybe the thumbnail works, though.)

The sensor is at the front driver's side of the engine. It is the lower of the two sensors. Takes a 7/8" or so, socket to remove it.

The truck is a 1989 F250. 4wd. With a 7.3 IDI. And C6.

Thank you in advance. :smile2:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I do believe your picture is incorrect in the description. In looking at two of my trucks 89- 90, and service manual the lower one on the left front of the head is really a sensor for the low idle solenoid and cold advance solenoid. and the upper one is for the temp gage.

#3 ·
All I really know here is that unplugging that lower sensor, unpegs the temp gauge, and turns off the engine light.

Plugging it back in, re-pegs the temp gauge, and turns the engine light back on, regardless of the fact that the engine is now stone cold.

#4 ·
From what I can find , what you need is the over temp sensor, it will do as you are saying yours does, that is the one in the front of the left head. On another forum is seems as if Napa , if you got one near by, might have them or you are going to have to try Ford.

#5 · (Edited)
Over temp.

Exactly.

Ok, I'll call napa! :grin2:

But that was kind of the point. Every parts store that I have dealt with so far... In person, or online... all hear "temperature sensor". No one seems to understand the concept of an OVER temperature sensor. That's why I was hoping someone on here would know a part number.

#6 ·
I went to Ford and got these part numbers for you. F3TZ-10884-A or motorcraft SW-2520. Did look and saw one on Ebay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

#7 ·
WOW! Thank you VERY much! It was frustrating. I live WAY out in the sticks, and currently I can't just drive all the way into town to talk to someone. But everything I was getting on the phone, or even the internet so far, was from fairly clueless people. Napa was closed last night. Planned on calling them this afternoon, but thought to check here first. Dude! You went way out of your way for this. Thank you!

#9 ·
Well, I bought that part number from the local napa dealer.

Looked the same, in the hand, with them side by side.

Went to install it, and it is slightly smaller in the threads.

Tried to install it and tighten it and it crushed the inside end of the thing. (Went too deep into the hole, bottomed out inside there.) Making it worthless.

Decided to just leave the wire off of it. Tstat works fine. T gauge works fine. I can see when it goes over halfway without having some idiot light to tell me that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.