Issues starting - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Issues starting

thank you for reading this hope you can help me

now im sure there's mutiple topic's on this but mine seem's diffrent, i have a 92 f250 idi N/A and im having trouble, i used to hold the glow plug button since mine isnt automatic for 8 seconds and it cranked fine, now i cant get it to start. Earlier luckily i held it for 12 and she fired up while having jumper cables to the battery. Got her home let her sit with a charger on it for a little, not long enough tho to fully crank it over and it started, took my friend home left it running, came back and let it sit on a charger for longer and it wont start. Got it running again after a 15 second hold on the glow plug and then turned it off let it sit for 30 mins and now it wont start. I'm suspecting i may need new batteries? it will crank 4-5 time's then gets really weak, please help if there's any test's i should do or do you know of any other problems it could be if it's not the batteries?

thanks

92 F250 7.3 IDI N/A 4x4

Last edited by Devquan; 04-04-2016 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:09 PM

Check your glow plugs, rigging it manual odds are ya cooked a few of them.

New truck: 1988 F-350 1 ton dualy 2*4, 7.3L IDI Naturally Aspirated, Dual tanks with Camper package.
Mods: Enhanced gauge cluster; Transmission temp, rear diff temp, coolant system pressure, Vacuum pressure, Fuel pressure, Crappy tire Air horn Kit, Raycor pre filter/water sep. All LED Dash lighting, Parker LFS tranny filter, super duty tranny cooler, gerret turbo, waste gated (pending).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeonpony View Post
Check your glow plugs, rigging it manual odds are ya cooked a few of them.
now with a 15 sec hold on the plugs it fired up, drove it for 20 mins came home cut it, then cranked her up after 15 seconds of holding the plugs she fires, what do you think's the deal? i was just getting lucky with the 8 seconds and that it needs a long hold time?

92 F250 7.3 IDI N/A 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What's wrong with the stock GP controller?

Have you tested the relay? Have you load tested the batteries?

There is no "main" battery. Both batteries provide primary power to the starter.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
What's wrong with the stock GP controller?

Have you tested the relay? Have you load tested the batteries?

There is no "main" battery. Both batteries provide primary power to the starter.
bought it with the manual one, i think it must have just gone out, haven't tested the relay and testing the batteries tomorrow

92 F250 7.3 IDI N/A 4x4
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 12:18 PM

I just went through a similar situation with my 90 IDI. Ended up being my starter. Load tested both batteries and they were fine, yet the starter would still drag. From what I have learned on here, if you don't get these motors turning fast enough with the starter, they won't fire up unless really warm. Mine would start without issue if I left it plugged in for an hour or two.

Still check your glow plugs though.

1990 F-250 7.3 IDI 4x4
218,000 on truck
108,000 on motor
No upgrades.....yet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI_90_F250_7.3 View Post
I just went through a similar situation with my 90 IDI. Ended up being my starter. Load tested both batteries and they were fine, yet the starter would still drag. From what I have learned on here, if you don't get these motors turning fast enough with the starter, they won't fire up unless really warm. Mine would start without issue if I left it plugged in for an hour or two.

Still check your glow plugs though.
bought two new batteries today, so next step ill check the glow plugs

92 F250 7.3 IDI N/A 4x4
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 06:19 PM

Seems as though your gp relay is going if your having to hold the button longer and longer each time my guess is the gps are getting a weak signal thats only getting weaker possibly faulty wiring? Maybe a bad ground or a shorted positive wire. My bet is either your starter is going or your glow plugs are had the same issue with my 84 6.9 and it ended up being a bad connection. Hold you figure it out nice seeing people still driving these old trucks i now have a 88 7.3 but i put a ats kit with a garrett turbo on it and a e pump good luck man
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 07:23 PM

Could be a combination of both also. My glow plug system is still out, I have to plug in at night

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

1990 F-250 7.3 IDI 4x4
218,000 on truck
108,000 on motor
No upgrades.....yet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 08:12 PM

Lower voltage due to weak batteries, or a poor connection will cause a long cycle requirement with the push button switch like you have. If you still have the trouble after you install the new batteries, then check across the glow plug relay for a voltage drop at the relay. Then check the glow plugs for good resistance. with a stone cold engine,and glow plugs, the resistance reading should be around 2 ohms. About the only good way to check the starter is to check amp draw while cranking the engine over, with KNOWN good batteries. Make sure of the battery cables, and terminals clean good and tight.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 07:25 AM

Yes clean and tight terminals are a major thing with starting these trucks seems stupid and alot of people over look this. But i spent money on buying a new starter when all i needed was a new terminal truck would have long slow cranks or it would shoot the apendix put but not spin the gear inside the starter making me rhink the starter was junk
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 07:33 AM

My 94 idi turbo also did something similar to this once and I took an evening to clean both grounds and made sure all cables that attach to the battery were tight and clean and now it cranks faster so that's just a suggestion
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 11:47 AM

Glow plugs are a consumable, they get weak over time, Hens why they use a controller! To minimize the burn time to reduce the wear and tear on the GPs to give max life with good performance.

By using a manual button they tend to be over burned shortening their life cycle..

As others have said, Good grounding is critical, Ensuring good solid positive feed line same as grounding all needs to be clean and tight.

Remove each glow plug and test it to see if it glows red, visually inspect each one for pitting or cracking or heavy carbon build up.

New truck: 1988 F-350 1 ton dualy 2*4, 7.3L IDI Naturally Aspirated, Dual tanks with Camper package.
Mods: Enhanced gauge cluster; Transmission temp, rear diff temp, coolant system pressure, Vacuum pressure, Fuel pressure, Crappy tire Air horn Kit, Raycor pre filter/water sep. All LED Dash lighting, Parker LFS tranny filter, super duty tranny cooler, gerret turbo, waste gated (pending).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in