The Diesel Stop banner

Leak on top of Fuel Filter

18K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Ole Black Betty 
#1 ·
Having an issue starting up (1993 7.3 IDI). After a hard look under the hood found fuel leaking from the top of the fuel filter/water separator mount. I'm thinking this is allowing air to bleed into the system, causing fuel to back out of the lines back to the tank. Truck fires for a minute then once it tries to go into high idle it coughs and stalls. There is a small black rubber cap on the top of the mount that is the suspect (I'm assuming it's part of the water in fuel sensor, there are also two, what look to be plugs, on the far side of the filter and on the bottom, all three of which wire together).
I have been looking in both my Chilton manual and an LMC truck catalog for the parts but have had no luck. Thinking I may be calling it the wrong thing or I just need to go grave robbing at the local junk yard. Any help would be appricated. I have attached pictures, both wide shot and up close of the suspected plug/cover.
Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Thats the fuel heater terminal. Do a search on fuel heater oring, its not hard ot replace.
Yup! Just use a diesel fuel rated O ring. I used Viton, and it has held for quite a while now.

#6 ·
Just fixed mine last week. Put a temp O-ring in until I can get a viton. :thumbsup:

Priced new fuel heater at stealer for $270, of course they couldn't get O-ring separate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.