Leakproof Transmission Oil Change? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Leakproof Transmission Oil Change?

I'm going to change the oil and filter in my E4OD transmission if I can find a way to make it leakproof. I have never been successful at this.

94 F350 7.3 IDI Turbodiesel 4x2 CC E4OD transmission, 4.10 gear ratio, 10.25 ring gear, limited slip, single rear wheels, long bed, Tru-Cool Max 45k transmission cooler l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:55 AM

What do you mean "make it leakproof"? Anything can leak. Are you talking about the process of changing the fluid? Or the pan gasket? Or the transmission?

The least-messy way to change the ATF is via the cooler lines using the special machine built for the job. Call some local shops to find which have the BG Products machine. While that's happening, add an external filter as Ford recommends in the TSB in this caption:

(phone app link)

The least-messy way to DIY is to add a pan drain this time so it's clean from now on. Read this caption:

(phone app link)

The most leak-resistant pan gasket is the reusable one, but it only works with the pan built for it, and your trans might have the older pan. I think it works with most of the aftermarket cast pans, like this one:

(phone app link)

But adding a drain to a cast pan would be slightly different than to an original stamped steel pan. I'd drill & tap it to use a Fumoto oil drain valve the same size that fits the engine pan.

(phone app link)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:55 AM

My Photos: (27)
It's not that difficult. Contrary to "expert" forum advice, don't use any silicone sealer on either side of the gasket, especially if it's cork. As an RTV sealer rep said, RTV sealer is a gasket replacer, not something you slobber all over gaskets. Otherwise when you tighten the pan bolts the surfaces are so slick the compression either causes the gasket to tear at a bolt hole or squish out in spots. Get both surfaces totally oil free, maybe use a little 3M weatherstrip cement to hold the gasket in place on one side, tighten the bolts using common sense and you shouldn't have a leak. And the post above this one is pretty much worthless since like any older Ford auto trans, a major amount of oil is in the torque converter, you have to pull the 1/8 or 1/4" pipe plug and drain the converter separately.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 05-08-2019 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:53 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Here is how you can change all of the fluid without even removing the pan. https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...-transmission/

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
...drain the converter separately.
The flush machine changes that fluid, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
...without even removing the pan.
Step 2b says "remove the pan".

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Step 2B is optional. You don't need to remove the pan, but some people like to change the filter. I think it's not needed, but I added that to make people happy.

Mark
Former
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in