My first IDI Ford. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My first IDI Ford.

Hey guys I'm new to the forum from Northern Ca and am hoping I can find some help along the way on my newest project. Here's the details.

A 94 f350 4x4 7.3 idi with ATS turbo and down tube. This truck was a maintenance truck that had the cab damaged when it had around 25k on it. My buddy picked it up and did a cab and dually swap with parts from an 87 f350 he had lying around. He worked on it a bit then let it sit about 8 years. It was never really completed.

I picked it up out if the field last week. I brought two new batteries and hot wired it and got her running to drive onto the trailer. Even after all that time it started quickly with a little shot of ether.

Nothing works in the truck. The ignition cylinder spins, the dash doesn't do anything but the door chime works annoyingly. Apparently the truck has an e40d and I'm told due to the cab swap I need to buy a trans controller?

My plan is to clean up the wiring, replace all the fluids and belts and hoses. After I get things right I'll worry about cosmetics. The pics make it look in better shape than it is. But she is pretty straight and virtually rust free.

I'm mostly going to use it to pull my toy hauler for camping trips.

I'd post pics but apparently I need more than one post.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Made some progress this week. Sorted a bunch of loose wiring and although it doesn't start with the key the gauges work and the key shuts it off. I'm in the process of tracing the ignition wire that goes to the solenoid. I replaced the ignition switch but now I'm suspicious of the neutral safety switch.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 03:34 PM

My Photos: (2)
Welcome aboard The Diesel Stop!

I've sorted through rats nests of wires before on my old '85, I remember the headache that was. Best of luck to you. There is a wealth of knowledge here to assist you if need be!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 F250 XLT 4x4, 6.0L.
Sinister EGR Delete Kit. Up Pipes / Y-Pipes. 3" Pro Comp Leveling kit. Diablo tuner. 4" Cat Back Exhaust.

I work in the medical field. Dx = Diagnosis, Hx = History.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronP. View Post
Welcome aboard The Diesel Stop!

I've sorted through rats nests of wires before on my old '85, I remember the headache that was. Best of luck to you. There is a wealth of knowledge here to assist you if need be!

Thanks Cameron. I am very curious about a part that looks like it should have a 3 pronged relay under the hood. But can't find it on any diagrams. One thing that makes this tough is it's an 87 cab on a early 94 frame. I don't know how many posts I need to be able to put up pics but when I do I'll put them up in a build thread.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:44 AM

You're just going to have to trace it back to its origin and determine where to go from there. Trucks with cab swaps don't always go as planned and you end up with 'extra' wiring. If you find where the wires go to, you should be able to figure it out from some diagram. Even if you don't have a 3 prong connector on the wires you can always buy replacements.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2005 F250 XLT 4x4, 6.0L.
Sinister EGR Delete Kit. Up Pipes / Y-Pipes. 3" Pro Comp Leveling kit. Diablo tuner. 4" Cat Back Exhaust.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronP. View Post
You're just going to have to trace it back to its origin and determine where to go from there. Trucks with cab swaps don't always go as planned and you end up with 'extra' wiring. If you find where the wires go to, you should be able to figure it out from some diagram. Even if you don't have a 3 prong connector on the wires you can always buy replacements.

Yeah I ended up ordering a toner for tracing wires. It should be here today. Then we will see where exactly the wires go.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

That's the beast, she looks better in pics, the paint is pretty rough close up. I got the toner and a power probe, so I'm going to get the wiring sorted soon I hope.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 07:59 AM

A little elbow grease and she'll be looking like new! That's a nice rig you got there.
morgankshaw likes this.

2005 F250 XLT 4x4, 6.0L.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

I traced the tone from the starter solenoid all the way to the switch. Tested switch with a test light and it works. But somewhere the 12v isn't getting to the starter.

I've got a 93 specific manual coming soon so maybe that will show me where I'm losing power.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I meant starter relay. But anyway..

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

So I've updated on oil burners but not here...

I've been busy gathering parts.
I got everything for a zf5 swap! Steering column, pedals, tranny, shifter cover, clutch reinforcement, gauges and scored hydroboost off the donor truck. Still need to but master slave combo.

I also need to order a water pump and thermostat and heater core.

I've changed the oil and hoses but there is still gunk I'm going to flush out before I put in the new pump!

My next step is going to be to remove the bed and clean the rear of the frame and add new electric fuel pump, fuel lines and brake lines. Re paint and re install.

I've got a pile if parts and even scored a really cool winch bumper that I'm going to fix up.

I'm only a few projects away from moving the whole thing into my garage and going to town on it.

The trans had a crack in the bell housing so I'm waiting for that to come back from the welder that should give me time to prep everything else.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Trans is welded up, almost ready to go in! I did electric fuel pump, new belts and hoses, new radiator, starter, alternator, heater core and fuel return lines. I've been collecting parts and looking to put big tires and wheels underneath her. I found a ten year old thread where Briansshop put huge 38's under a dually rear end and they looked awesome I'm going to do something like that but maybe with military 37's possibly?
Been doing a majority of my build posts on oil burners but I'm trying to remember to update here too. Wish me luck!
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:24 AM

Good luck looks like a good project.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:48 AM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nice looking truck. Where abouts in Cali are you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in