Need help with diagnosing my issue - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help with diagnosing my issue

I have a 1994 Ford F-350 7.3 idi turbo diesel. When I got it I had to put an fuel line on it and after I did that it ran for a day and I drive it around with no issues till that evening then it died on me. So I had it towed home since then I’ve replaced two injectors a fuel filter a mechanical fuel pump and the serpentine belt and it was running down the road for about a mile then it would die. Now I can’t get it to start at all and when it does start it blows white smoke because of a lack of fuel. I know hardly anything about diesels I’m 17 and In over my head this is my first diesel truck. And I need help to figure out what the issue is so I can hopefully fix it and sell it. Any ideas on what may be wrong...or things to try that don’t cost an awful lot of money. I don’t have money to spend in all honesty because I don’t have a job because I don’t have a vehicle to drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:00 PM

How much of this work have you done yourself?

89 F250 XLT Lariat 7.3idi C6 4WD
92 F250 XLT Lariat 7.3idi E4OD 4WD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

I’ve done all of the work myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

I have also bled the fuel lines
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:54 PM

Ok, good. I just wondered how much of this you would be able to do on your own. Most kids your age, nowadays wouldn't know a wrench from a pencil. LOL

Ok, first, stop. Take a step back. Collect your thoughts. You are smarter than this truck. You CAN not only find the problem yourself, but you can fix it yourself.

Go back to the basics. I know you already replaced parts. I know you already bled the lines. But what you are describing is a fuel delivery problem, as far as I can tell.

So you need to go back to the basics. Crack the injectors and crank it. If fuel comes out of every injector, I'm not sure where to go from there.

If none comes out... Tighten them back up, and move on to the feed line to the injector pump. Crack that one, right at the nose of the pump. If you have fuel there, you may need to replace the injector pump.

If none comes out at the IP feed pipe at the nose, move on, to the fuel filter and housing.

Can you see the path, there? Just keep working back until you find fuel coming at a reliable rate. Heck, it could be as easy as a plugged line back further toward the tank. Or the tank switch is going bad...

Whatever you find, there is one other piece of advice I'd like to give you. The cheapest vehicle, is the one you already own. These trucks are extremely reliable. Learning to take care of them, or fix them is nowhere near the learning curve it is for gas engines, and more modern trucks and cars. If you fix this and sell it, then buy another... you are just selling problems that you know about, for someone else's problems that they probably won't even tell you about...

89 F250 XLT Lariat 7.3idi C6 4WD
92 F250 XLT Lariat 7.3idi E4OD 4WD
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:09 PM

^^^ What he said. I would add You said that you put a mechanical fuel pump on it. Did anyone warn you about making sure that the lever for the pump went UNDER the cam? It is possible to get that lever above the cam. It will even run for a short while, but since the pump is then operating backwards, it will stop pumping. I would check at the outlet to the fuel pump and see if it is putting out. What line did you replace? Is it hooked up so that it doesn't leak? Remember, air will get in where fuel won't escape. Since it ran for a short time, I would look at the fuel supply before the injector pump

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in