New Banks Turbo Kit. Exhaust Installation Problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

7Likes
  • 1 Post By BajaBruin
  • 2 Post By caseyj
  • 2 Post By LMJD
  • 1 Post By LMJD
  • 1 Post By BajaBruin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Banks Turbo Kit. Exhaust Installation Problem

Hi,

I just completed this past weekend a Banks Sidewinder Turbo Kit installation on my 1991 F-250 IDI. It was tough but got it done. Now, this kit did not come with the exhaust system. I went down to a ďreputableĒ shop in San Diego and the guy said he would NOT install an exhaust citing the proximity of the downpipe (that i specifically bought from Banks) to the side of the transmission and brake lines. I nearly became unhinged, mainly because this is the final step, and taking time off work to get this done AND the guy was so rude about it. I pleaded with them to do it because of my trip tomorrow out to the desert. The turbo kit was installed to spec. I wrapped the downpipe in heat wrap blanket. Heat is always a concern to me going up and over the serious pass east of us here. Guys break down all the time on this hill (but i will note, i've never seen an IDI on the side of the road). While traveling to and from Iím always on pins and needles with my Lance Camper in the back.

Is this guy right??? Why would Banks have the downpipe at a position to screw up my tranny??? I'm going to start calling exhaust places shortly here but you guys know these trucks better than anyone.

I'm trying to get this done correctly and asap. I appreciate your insight and time.

Thanks.

1991 F-250 XL 7.3L IDI 4x4, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, Automatic E4OD, 3.55, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 3" Straight-Piped Exhaust, Hayden Transmission Cooler, Hughes Performance Deep Aluminum Trans Pan, Bilstein Shocks, 1994 Lance Squire 8000 Cabover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
PS.

i should note he was also citing the proximity to the tranny dipstick too.

1991 F-250 XL 7.3L IDI 4x4, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, Automatic E4OD, 3.55, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 3" Straight-Piped Exhaust, Hayden Transmission Cooler, Hughes Performance Deep Aluminum Trans Pan, Bilstein Shocks, 1994 Lance Squire 8000 Cabover
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:31 AM

My Photos: (27)
As I recall, he's right. It's like the ATS turbo system only more so. You have to pry in a section of the firewall (right side) plus with an auto trans there's some dipstick modification if I remember right. Some guys have mentioned having to saw off a corner of the bell housing. I don't know if that's absolutely necessary or not. Slide underneath and you'll see there's a clearance problem. Plus if your Banks is like my ATS, the exhaust is 3" rather than the stock 2 1/2" making clearance even more of a problem. An exhaust shop is an exhaust shop, you can't expect them to do the firewall, dipstick and other work that's involved.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you LMJD. i should have been more specific. there is clearance, however, he said he wouldnt do it because of the heat it would give off to the tranny. it looks good to me to put a pipe on.

also, i already sawed the ear off the bellhousing, per the instructions from banks. dipstick is not in the way.
LMJD likes this.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:21 PM

Did your 3" exhaust make a difference in performance? I have a 3" y-pipe hanging in my garage that I keep putting off and I wonder if I should get going on it. It also came with the Banks air cleaner which I have installed but I have read that they don't compare with the OEM filter?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: Went down to another exhaust shop in the South Bay here and had success. He simply cut off the factory exhaust hanger underneath the passenger door which gave more clearance from the Transmission line that dumb$hit from the first Shop said was in the way. (By the way there was plenty of clearance already. He was clearly having a bad day and didn't want to do it). The guy that installed it sucessfully had a good idea of going to a tranny shop and getting another transmission line that goes low vs. high. that way that line doesn't get hot. I will put a lot of heat wrap/blanket on before the trip today.

Looks great and sounds perfect. Kept it straight piped and it has an old school look. It dumps right in front of the passenger rear wheel. On the drive home i definitely felt more power than stock.

CaseyJ: I did not drive it with (only) a new 3 inch exhaust with the original non-turbo'd engine. I went to the 3 inch exhaust after the turbo was installed. When it was all buttoned up last night with the new 3 inch exhaust installed, it was noticeably better. Smooth and did very well with a lot of weight in the back from that Lance Camper with several hills on the way home. Stayed in Overdrive when the truck has a tendency to go into 3rd on minor hills.

The big test is this afternoon on our way out to the desert. I will update you guys on how it does. But as of this morning, I'm so stoked. Have a good Friday and weekend.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:01 PM

Thank you for your response. If I decide to go ahead with this project what can I expect when removing the current exhaust? I would assume that I would have to treat the bolts with BP Blaster or something similar. In the event of a bolt breaking what is the recourse? You said that you used a straight pipe and I don't really want a lot of noise and would like more of a Hollywood throaty sound. Suggestions? I know this is a lot of questions but any answers would help. Thank you for any responses.

1994 F250 HD, IDI Diesel, 3:55 gears, K&N filter, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Monroe HD SensaTrac shocks, dual pillar pod with temp & tranny guage, poly fuel tanks,aluminum racing radiator
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyj View Post
Thank you for your response. If I decide to go ahead with this project what can I expect when removing the current exhaust? I would assume that I would have to treat the bolts with BP Blaster or something similar. In the event of a bolt breaking what is the recourse? You said that you used a straight pipe and I don't really want a lot of noise and would like more of a Hollywood throaty sound. Suggestions? I know this is a lot of questions but any answers would help. Thank you for any responses.
PB Blaster works well. And anytime I work on anything exhaust (HOT) related I slather all bolts with Never Seize---pays off in the future. If you hit me with a PM tomorrow to remind me, I'll look in my maintenance log and can give you the part number of the 3" straight through Walker muffler that came with the ATS Turbo kits. It sounds just right IMO.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:21 AM

Thank you LMDJ but I won't be doing this project until Spring. I have looked at many mufflers in the 3" category and most of them state "aggressive sound" which is not what I am looking for but again, I appreciate the offer. Well, I have stolen to much conversation away from the original intent of this thread and I apologize to the OP for it. I'll keep you posted.
LMJD and BajaBruin like this.

1994 F250 HD, IDI Diesel, 3:55 gears, K&N filter, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Monroe HD SensaTrac shocks, dual pillar pod with temp & tranny guage, poly fuel tanks,aluminum racing radiator
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I doused the bolts with PB Blaster for a few days and then attempted to loosen. Worked just fine. A long 1/2" drive extension helped a lot for accessing the passenger side bolts.

Update: Just got back from the desert. The truck did great on the way out there and stayed in 3rd gear while going over the pass. So happy about the turbo's performance and the transmission didn't overheat.

BUT, on the way back, half-way up the extreme hill the u-joint gave out on the (foward portion of the) rear driveshaft. Not fun. Fast forward and after dropping off the driveshaft yesterday the guy was pissed I didn't switch them out sooner. It was not making noise or vibrating and believe me, I was going to switch them out this week, just to have a new set for another run this weekend out there! I think it was a lack of grease. He said the yoke was scrap and he'd have to cut it off and weld on another. He went on to say the size of the u-joints are the same size on new F-150s and that it's only a matter of time for mine to fail again! He went on to show me a much larger u-joint I should be using but obviously that wasn't possible with my setup. I said well what do we do? He said, don't drive it! So, I searched several of previous posts for an answer to this and no luck. Is he right? I would rather not ever going through that experience again, especially with precious cargo. I love the IDI but is this a serious issue for the future? I get it, all he does is driveshafts and he sees it all, but safety is a pretty high concern here. I got no problem making another post but wanted to update you guys on the turbo/exhaust. Thanks for your time.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:52 PM

Got to respectfully disagree with your guy. I've also got a '91 F250 I bought new in Sept. of '91. The biggest problem is, Ford, taking the cheap way out, produced all their pickups for decades with no zerk fittings on the U-joints. That limits the life of them to 60,000-80,000 miles before you see scoring on the trunnions. I replaced all mine at the above mileage with greaseable ones and with lubing them about every 25,000-30,000 they're still good at 249,000 miles. I've worked on mostly heavy trucks and equipment but done my share of pickup joints too and don't buy the theory that any factory joint was designed too small for a certain pickup. I wouldn't be surprised if all 3/4 and 1 ton pickups didn't use the same Spicer part number when it came to U-joint.
oldrebuiltdodge and BajaBruin like this.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
LMJD, thanks for the comeback. Very helpful. I will install and drive with more confidence after what he claimed. Thanks again.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:40 PM

You're welcome, I assume you got joints with Zerks? Lube them about every 4th or 5th time you change your oil and they should last forever.
BajaBruin likes this.

Last edited by LMJD; 12-18-2018 at 03:44 PM.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Spicers with Zerks. 4th or 5th oil change...good tip. Thanks LMJD. New OEM center bearing is going on too with all the pieces off. It is time. 58 bucks total.
LMJD likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in