The Diesel Stop banner

Non turbo to turbo

6K views 47 replies 9 participants last post by  79jasper 
#1 ·
I have a 1991 F350 XLT Lariat, I have the opportunity to install a turbo. I would like to know your recommendations and insight on this task.

#2 ·
I installed my complete ATS system back in '93 in 2 8 hour days. That included re-torqueing the heads (highly recommended) and installing the complete ATS 3" exhaust system. As far as brands, there's valid reasons why FoMoCo chose ATS over the other 2 back in the day.

#4 ·
claims that this truck is a turf
I don't really know what a turf is. If you're using the truck to run around empty making noise and smoke then a turbo doesn't do much good. If you tow a decent load like what these trucks were made for, then a turbo increases the pulling power by a lot.

#5 ·
*turd*

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: jmshawii
#6 ·
Put a turbo on it and hook up to 12.500 pounds of fiver, tow it from one coast to the other and back...then try to call it a turd

It aint fast, but it will move a mountain.

#7 ·
The trucks my daily driver, I tow a tractor around time from time and pull the occasional buddy out of a mudhole, and my dad meant it's a turd, but I plan on doing milwrite work later in life, my uncle used to use this truck for his massive tool box, he recently got a 12valve Cummins and gave me this truck after my wreck, it was supposed to be a graduation gift. I heard a turbo also helps with fuel mileage, I already get 19.7 but I call it 20mpg

#8 ·
I wouldn’t look for a big increase in mileage.

#9 ·
I wonder if a person puts a turbo on if shouldn't also put the turbo injectors in it too for better power. I have a 93 dually with a factory turbo , stick , gets like 15 empty. Pulling almost 20000# pretty regular , does a fair job of it.

#10 ·
Yep, time to do more research into things. Lol like "turbo injectors." Lol
Don't plan on it lasting forever, especially turbo'd....

#11 ·
IIRC member Snotzalot had a factory turbo in his ambulance. He had to quit when the body rotted away at 780,XXX miles. I would call that forever.

Reactions: oldrebuiltdodge
#15 ·
Definitely add a turbo. I put an aftermarket turbo on my IDI van back in 2015. Complete difference.

Prior to turbo: moderate acceleration, unable to pass without 3 miles of roadway, going up a >6% grade was maxing at 45mph (loaded or unloaded.)

After installing turbo: Accelerates like a car, keeps up with traffic, passes with ease, maintains 75mph+ without issue, increased MPG, and tows like nothing. Pulling up a 7% grade maintains 70mph or greater speeds.

do it.

The only downside to having a turbo, is you'll get faster speeds and acceleration, which means you need to keep your steering slop in check. Don't want to have a sloppy wheel while going 80mph.

#16 ·
Most guys I talk to say put a 6.0l turbo, I'm straying from that idea because a buddy of mine has a 97 7.3 PSD he slapped a 6.0 turbo on it and has major oil leaks from the heads and blew his rear end what can you tell me about other aftermarket turbos and what I need to put one on my truck is a 91 naturally aspirated

#19 ·
IDI is built to take no more than about 7 pounds of boost. The 6.0 turbo produces well into the 20 pound range. AND the 6.0 turbo uses variable vane technology that requires computer and programming....no computer on the IDI unless you count the one for the automatic transmission.

Only differences in a factory NA and TURBO engine are the injectors and exhaust valves.

#17 ·
R&d idi performance or conestoga diesel would get my business.. .

Reactions: genscripter
#18 ·
I won't say that you can't use a turbo from a 6.0 or a 7.3 DI but you would spend more money doing it than buying a kit that actually fit the IDI engine. ATS uses to make a kit for the IDI trucks, you might want to do a google search for them.

The turbo would have nothing to do with the oil leaks from the heads or blowing the rear end of your friends truck. That is unless he didn't replace the O rings on the turbo or forgot them completely.

#22 ·
Some of you old codgers need your reading glasses checked.

#27 · (Edited)
Well I've only got 10k miles on it (unless its rolled over before) and as far as me n my uncle know that's the correct mileage, the past owner bought it new and used it on a farm before he wrecked, replaced the front body cap with a 93, only the radiator and condenser was really damaged beside body parts, more of a fender bender

Attachments

#29 ·
Besides that, there was this fact that the above poster chose to overlook:
Not so much lately, but dozens of guys on this site have installed turbo kits on fairly high mileage IDI's in past years and had no problems whatsoever later.

#32 ·
A turbo will actually quieten it down a bit.
I would go straight pipe, then add a muffler if you still want one. If you do, look into the FTE resonators or Walker btm.

#33 · (Edited)
Wasn't referring to you, WesEdwards. My ATS 3" exhaust including ATS muffler isn't too loud but it has a hell of a rap to it coming downhill under compression and high RPM when towing, sounds like a big truck jake brake. It's a straight through Walker muffler furnished by ATS, still got the part number. The turbo whine out the exhaust on the original very first ATS 093 kits was so loud it was embarrassing. I was told by the seller I probably bought the first 093 kit available in the western states. I later talked to the ATS owner and he said they were developing a computerized replacement that would drown out some of the whine. He shipped me a new replacement (the Walker I have---mellow, not too loud), with the understanding I'd ship my original back.

#36 ·
Machinist is a trade that is extremely uderapreciated. The good ones have twice the skill as a mechanic, and as a rule make about $10 per hour less. I never understood that.

Reactions: LMJD
#37 ·
That is true, my grandfather has immense knowledge and understanding of mechanical issues and electrical ones, does alot of gunsmithing where tight tolerances are abundant. I watched him hone cylinder walls and re surface pistons on our old late 70's early 80's Ford tractor. Between him my father and my schooling I'm drawing up plans to rewire my truck, who ever owned it before my uncle, used alot of wire nuts and tape, yuck! I dont like those things in automotive applications

#40 ·
Those old timers seem to almost always go within a year of "retirement."
It's odd, like the body is used to working.

#42 ·
Usually the ones that pass away quickly after retiring don't have hobbies that they enjoy more than work.

I've been retired now for 10 years and am going strong.

Reactions: 79jasper
#43 ·
Yup. When I retired the average lifespan of a retired corrections officer in Ca was 5 years. I retired on Halloween 2008, you do the math. I am actually working as an RV tech part time and lovin it!!

#44 ·
I have seen way to many people retire and just waste away, they have no idea of what to do every day without having to go to work.

Since I have retired I've made hunting trips to British Colombia, South Africa, along with quite a few in other states besides here in Colorado. Everyone knows that between August and December they are lucky to find me at home much longer than a few days at a time.

Reactions: LMJD
#45 · (Edited)
One of the main things I love about retirement is not waking up to the alarm clock unless you want to. After I retired I was training horses and a guy whose colt I was riding talked me into driving truck for him, (back to the damned alarm clock). Ended up driving for him full time for 3 years, but there again it was by choice. He knew my background so I told him I'd drive, but don't expect me to work on the damned things on weekends. He had 3 nice long nosed Petes and him and son-in-law did minor repairs on weekends. I finally got him hooked on teamroping so the local Peterbilt dealership got a lot more work on Saturdays. :)
Before I retired, we had a welder at the shop that couldn't make up his mind whether to retire or not. The shop morale was in the toilet due to a succession of brain dead shop foremen making goofy decisions and I told him, you've got your remote control airplane hobby plus there's nothing wrong with sitting around on your butt all day as long as you're out of here (the shop). He bailed out a month later.

#46 ·
Along the lines that some have mentioned pertaining to how powerful these beasts are with a turbo and towing. What do you think a good meaty one of these is comfortable/capable of towing comfortably? I have the big beast, '89 F350, crewcab, dually, E4OD, diesel 7.3 idi-supposedly with about 68K on it original. I tinker with a lot of cars and have even gotten my dealer's license to try to start experimenting with the business, and have a partner in CA that has his own dealer's license out there. We keep looking at good cars to buy out there to bring back here to rusty MI to sell, but shipping is the biggest expense. So I have talked about trying to run a couple of loads of my own. I've looked at some wedges and a variety of other trailers, but always wonder what I should really consider to be the safest max weight I could shoot for. And, also, of course, about the need for a turbo if I do. Any input on the maximum weight you guys would think one of these is REALLY safe/meant to tow? Someone mentioned 12.5K, someone said 15K and someone said they tow 20K with their rig, so just wondering what the more experienced in many ways members of this crowd think. It has a goose neck ball, although I could go fifth wheel if there were opinions on that as well.

#47 ·
I went coast to coast in 2009, towing a fifth wheel that weighed in at about 12,000 pounds dry. My truck made every hill and mountain pass but it wasnt fast. Would I do it again? Not with that much weight. I have 5 gauges on the pillar and I was pushing the limits of the engine. EGT of 1100 was common, trans temp of 220 and coolant 210 all day long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.