Problem getting TPS adjusted. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem getting TPS adjusted.

Ok, so my tranny has been shifting crazy so I decided to change the throttle position sensor (now I think my problems are more related to my tach sensor that I know is also bad), the info I got online says to warm up the engine so the high idle is off then with key on and engine off set the sensor so idle voltage is 1.2 and full throttle voltage is 4.5. problem is with idle set at 1.2 full throttle was about 3.8~ so I set full throttle right at 4.5 and then idle was 1.5+(a little over 1.5).
It's a new Napa sensor.
Any suggestions on how I should set it up?
I left it at 4.5 at full throttle, figured it was safer to have more line pressure that way. The tranny is better but after more reading I'm almost certain my problem is more related to my tach sensor and I've got a new one on the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 04:31 PM

There is only one side you can set, I don't remember which one, but the other voltage is where it is going to be. You can probably look up the proper way to set it. Look up some of Mark Kovalsky's old posts, it should be in one or two of them. I have never seen where he gave any bad advise.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

I googled it and every place I found said you needed to adjust both idle and wide open. I think the info I was going on was a Ford service bulletin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I looked at some of threads on this sight, I guess I'm only supposed to set the idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in