Rear Tank @ 1/4 full, engine dies - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear Tank @ 1/4 full, engine dies

Hi all,
Iím new to ford trucks and Iím not sure if this is normal or not it seems like Iíve hear people talk about this problem before but not sure. Was driving on the rear tank and was about at the 1/4 mark on the gage and all of a sudden the engine stopped. So I switch takes (good thing the front was full) and cranked a few time to get the air out and started up and ran fine. So is this a fuel pickup problem on the rear tanks or is it a gage problem? Or is it a ford thing? And is it fixable?

Eric P.
Certified A&P Aircraft Mechanic

First Ford - 1990 F-250 xtr cab, 7.3l IDI, manual hubs, E40D trans, 10.25 rear lim splip, borg warner xcase. 134k miles estamated. could be 234k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:30 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Fuel tank 1/4 full...

I have a '90 F350 that went thru that on both tanks... there is a plastic gizmo on the end of the fuel pickup tube that has a redirect tube with a flapper valve that is supposed to allow the truck to continue to run if the end of the pickup tube becomes plugged; if yours dies at 1/4 tank the end is either plugged or like in my case, apparently plastic dissolves in diesel after 15 years... mine just had a bunch of plastic chunks floating in it, I couldn't even tell what it was supposed to be. Your options are to go to Ford and buy a new fuel pickup tube/sending unit assembly, or if you don't need the whole assembly, buy the whole assembly, get the part number off of the plastic gizmo with the flapper valve, order 2 of them (the front tank will do it next week) and when they come in take the assembly back. The Ford parts dealers I talked to didn't admit to being able to find the plastic gizmo, but if you call them with the Ford part number that's stamped on the plastic gizmo on the assembly (which has a different number) they can order just the plastic gizmo... The plastic part is only $20, I think the assembly was about $180 (I bought an assembly, dropped one tank, noticed the other part number and wrote it down, then a week later the back tank ran out at 1/3, and I ordered just the $20 part). Keep in mind there is the option that some jelled fuel or junk plugged the lower part on the original; it might be worth the time to try to gently blow some compressed air or pour some kerosene in the line before you go to the trouble of dropping the tank...

90 Ford F350 Crewcab dually, Banks wastegated turbo, JDM intercooler, GearVendors gearsplitter, performance-built E4OD, Dacus billet torque-converter, pulls a 14000 lb 2004 Montana Big Sky and anything else I want to move...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 02:39 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the info.

Eric P.

First Ford - 1990 F-250 xtr cab, 7.3l IDI, manual hubs, E40D trans, 10.25 rear lim splip, borg warner xcase. 134k miles estamated. could be 234k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 AM

My Photos: (5)
Most dealers won't take back a special order part and if they do they'll charge the typical 20% restocking charge.

Regards,

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 92,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:37 AM

My Photos: (109)
If you try blowing air into the pickup line you may damage the upper bypass valve in the pickup.... on the return line there is also a check valve, but pressure must be limited to 5 PSI max in the return lines..

93 F250 7.3 IDI S/C XLT 4X4 E40D 3.55LS, Captains chairs, Tutone Mocha, Leer 48" Hiboy cap, FR & RR hitches, full DeeZee running boards. Factory ordered/delivered Jan 93

Toys: 2006 37' Triple E Embassy coach (powered by Cummins), 18' Sylvan Pro Fish with Mariner motors.

Proud Canadian BOOB man too!!

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE only!! ...
Please DO NOT.....visitor message me...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 12:14 PM

My Photos: (13)
Before you go dropping the tank and spending money on parts, did you just make a fast stop, or a sharp turn right before the thing quit on you?
If so, keep your wallet closed. These tanks are wide and long and depending on which tank and the offending driving situation, you can starve a healthy pickup at 1/4 tank by slamming on the brakes when the fuel sloshes forward starving the pickup, or when pulling a hard turn the fuel sloshes to one side starving the pickup and in rare cases( had this happen one time trying to get out into heavy traffic) when standing on the throttle REAL hard it can slosh the fuel to the rear of the tank starving the pickup. Driving on an incline can get you in trouble in a hurry. Rule of thumb, never let it get below 1/4 even when everything is working , not easy with the pitifully small tanks on these things( reason I have a 150 gal tank in the bed

It is to an extent a ford thing, if used to driving GM vehicles, they always have a massive reserve below empty, I have never driven a ford vehicle where E didn't mean E and usually a bit before E meant break out the comfortable shoes.

'92 F-350 Crew Cab dually,7.3 5 spd+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie, Solid Flywheel w 12 1/4" Kevlar Clutch, ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl induction, MS Tech Fan Clutch, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator, 4" Exhaust, Air seat, Western Hauler bed.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks for info rldsl but i was just driven through my neighborhood @ 25mph on the rear tank when she died

Eric P.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 04:18 PM

spartanamt

I would suggest lifting the bed off if you have some sort of lift. I personally used two come alongs attached to beams and lifted it off that way. Its only 6 bolts, four screws and a couple electrical conections to disconnect.

I have done it both ways and to me it was EASIER to lift the bed off. That way you have acess to both tanks and can trouble shoot easier ie the tanks are simultaneously accessable....my head crew chief also does it this way.....(he works on Kiowa Warrior helicopters for a living).

Good Luck!!!

2003 F350 6.0 Lariat Crewcab 4x4 SRW 285/75 16's Treadwright Retread MTG's

Sold:
1994 F350 XL Crewcab 4x4 SRW 7.3 Banks Turbo
Dana 60 Sterling 10.25 3.55, ISSPRO EV Guage and Pyro

PICS of my rigs and random stuff:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in