Replacing rigid fuel line - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By LMJD
  • 1 Post By oldrebuiltdodge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacing rigid fuel line

Thought I should start a new thread for replacing rigid fuel line. Line has a hole from rubbing against oil pan. The length of line runs from just forward of selection valve to the lift pump where it transitions to a short section of hose with hose clamps attaching to lift pump. I'll take the advise of replacing with new 3/8" brake line. What's the easiest way to match all the bends and how do I get it back in place? Looks like 5' or so of line. Also is there a way to keep fuel from siphoning out of the tank? It's been dripping for 3 days while I've waited for temps to rise to a working level. Now it's in the mid twenties and dripping 60/min. Happy holidays everyone, I really appreciate the knowledge and experience.

'88 f-250 NA zf5 4x4 208k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 05:36 PM

My Photos: (27)
I'd just pull the line, cut it in two at the hole, blow out any debris, and put it back together using a brass pipe union.
oldrebuiltdodge likes this.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

What's the deal with the clips on top of the selector valve? Figured it would be easier to remove line there after not seeing how to undo plastic/metal fuel line junction. I can get enough room to cut along frame rail. Bad idea to cut there also and have two couplers?

'88 f-250 NA zf5 4x4 208k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 10:29 AM

Don't know about the clips, it's 9 so no way I'm crawling under my truck. By couplers if you mean pipe unions, you can use as many as you want. They're used under the dash for air powered wipers, and every where else for air valves on big trucks using 120 PSI air pressure so they'll be trouble free on a low pressure fuel line.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Don't know about the clips, it's 9 so no way I'm crawling under my truck. By couplers if you mean pipe unions, you can use as many as you want. They're used under the dash for air powered wipers, and every where else for air valves on big trucks using 120 PSI air pressure so they'll be trouble free on a low pressure fuel line.
They also make tubing unions with compression fittings, that fit right over the tubing, no threading or sweating. Just cut the bad spot out and put the union in its place, then tighten the nuts till they crush the ferrule. No muss no fuss. There are even 90* unions so you can make a corner without using a bender. They all work well, and hold enough pressure that you should never have any trouble with your fuel line.
LMJD likes this.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrebuiltdodge View Post
They also make tubing unions with compression fittings, that fit right over the tubing, no threading or sweating. Just cut the bad spot out and put the union in its place, then tighten the nuts till they crush the ferrule. No muss no fuss. There are even 90* unions so you can make a corner without using a bender. They all work well, and hold enough pressure that you should never have any trouble with your fuel line.
Yessir, that's perzactly the type I was referring to.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 12:18 PM

Another option is hard nylon tubing, which is what Ford used/uses on many other vehicles. It's inexpensive, flexible, durable, & easy to work with. Bends can be made semipermanent with a common heat gun (or torch with fan shield). It will just slip onto the correct-sized hose barb, & seal without any clamp - just a drop of motor oil for lube.

(phone app link)

That's how Ford connected it to early ('84-91) plastic, brass, & stainless EFI fittings operating between 30-100 psi of gas, so it will easily handle 10 psi diesel.

(phone app link)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve83 View Post
Another option is hard nylon tubing, which is what Ford used/uses on many other vehicles. It's inexpensive, flexible, durable, & easy to work with. Bends can be made semipermanent with a common heat gun (or torch with fan shield). It will just slip onto the correct-sized hose barb, & seal without any clamp - just a drop of motor oil for lube.

(phone app link)

That's how Ford connected it to early ('84-91) plastic, brass, & stainless EFI fittings operating between 30-100 psi of gas, so it will easily handle 10 psi diesel.

(phone app link)
But that would require you to replace a steel line that only has a hole rubbed in it. Much easier, and faster to just make a permant patch.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 04:00 PM

The clips you referred to are located at the selector valve and are a part of the plastic casing that the fuel line goes into. They are easily removed if you push the fuel line into the casing and at the same time pull the clip out. It's plastic and it is u=shaped shaped like a horse shoe but much smaller. The clip itself applies pressure to an o-ring and prevents fuel from leaking after the line is installed.

If you go this route, draw a diagram of which line goes where as they are two different sizes and colors. You can also get diesel fuel line on Amazon.

1994 F250 HD, IDI Diesel, 3:55 gears, K&N filter, Hayden Tranny Cooler, Monroe HD SensaTrac shocks, dual pillar pod with temp & tranny guage, poly fuel tanks,aluminum racing radiator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in