Smoke Issues - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoke Issues

Hey ya'll just bought a 89 f250 with the 7.3 idi about a month ago. had nothin but issues since i got it. also this is the first diesel i've ever owned or worked on...

First off when i brought it back i changed out the oil. turns out there were only 3 qts in the pan. the guy i bought it from said the "water in fuel" light has been on since he bought it but turns out there was a lot of contaminated fuel in the tanks as well as water. (the fuel filter that WAS on it had no water seperator either.

I took it in the shop about 3 weeks ago because it was havin this real bad smokin issue. (billowing clouds of white smoke, especially from a cold start. but continued after warmed up and drove) I had bad injectors so i had those replaced as well as had them rebuild the injector pump.

Got the truck back and wouldn't ya know it about a day later I had the same amount of smoke comin out the pipes. So my question is.... what's up with the smoke? I dont wanna take it back to the shop since i just dropped them 1500. this smoke have something to do with bad components down in the pistons or something?

Also while I'm posting, yesterday I was drivin from a light. pushed the clutch to switch to 3rd and the clutch pedal stuck on the floor. now it just wobbles back and forth. i know its got somethin wrong with the hydraulics but i dont really know where to start checking. just the hydraulic line from the tranny to see if theres leaks? should i purge it first? (and how do i purge the hyd line) or you reckon i should just replace the hyd master cylinder?

Any advice on both these issues would be great. If anyone wants to tell me to ditch it and get a powerstroke go ahead. i wish i could now.

Thanks again,
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 PM

have a gander up under the dash and make sure everything is still connected the master may be shot but usually there is a spring that will over center and either pull it back to top or hold it to the floor, the slave cyl is more likely to fail
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

preciate the reply 92F250-7.3GUY. got the clutch fixed today. that push rod lookin thing worked its way out of the master cylinder.. got it replaced.

anyone know anything about the smoke??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in