Is there a way to tell if the wheel bearing is bad. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there a way to tell if the wheel bearing is bad.

Is there someway to tell if the wheelbearing is bad with out tearing thw wheel all apart, 91 f-250 4x4, I have some noise in the right front, told at a front end shop it is the wheel bearing, he did not rase the truck to check the wheel, I want home and jacked it up, I am a big guy and I think a bit tuff, buy I could not move the tire top / bottom from top, or in & out from the sides, I was thinking it may be something in the hub has want, I had to use the 4x4 two days ago, and I could hear a bit of a sound like metal to metal, but when I took it out I did not hear it, any ideas guy.

Thanks so much for your time, and smart minds.

2003 Ford F 250 Super Duty 4x4 6.0 Power Stroke auto, 132,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 PM

first of all pull your front hubs out before you check for wheel bearings. if it is the stock ford hub you will find it has piled up inside. you were right to jack it up but instead of tring to lift it get a long pry bar and place it under the wheel and a small block under the bar so you can push down( yhis also works for checking king pins and front ball joints) you will feel with the bar when it travels and stops. Im going to say most likely it is the front hub.

1993 7.3 IDI, crew cab, long box, 4x4 and a half, XLT with ATS turbo.
Glowshift Boost, Trans, Pyrometer gauges with glow shift pod.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank You Devdg, I will try that this am before I start ripping it all apart, Thanks and have a Grate Day.

2003 Ford F 250 Super Duty 4x4 6.0 Power Stroke auto, 132,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:36 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Is there someway to tell if the wheelbearing is bad with out tearing thw wheel all apart, 91 f-250 4x4, I have some noise in the right front,
Actually there's no way to tell without inspection. You can have pitted races and pitted tapered rollers and still have no excessive play---that's no foolproof bearing check at all. Also if a bad bearing has been run long enough to make noise chances are a race has spun and ruined the spindle and/or hub. I've seen a few galded to the hub so badly in bigger trucks that you had to weld a bead around the surface of the race in order to shrink it so it could then be driven out.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 02-04-2013 at 08:40 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 AM

My Photos: (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
I've seen a few galded to the hub so badly in bigger trucks that you had to weld a bead around the surface of the race in order to shrink it so it could then be driven out.
Ever try dry ice? I've heard good things about using it for cold shrinking auto body but I don't know about anything more substantial.

1992 F250 XLT 4x4 Super Cab 7.3 IDI E40D 3.55 ATS 088 4"R.C 360k
1982 MBZ 300SD W126 California model w/Sunroof, no EGR
1997 Audi A8 Quattro 225k Warm/Cold packages
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 PM

I didn't mean it was a fool proof test your perfectly right it very well could be a spun bearing and pitted races and bearings. but isn't the front 4 wheel drive hub the weak link in the front ends for fords? I personally would not trust a shop that wouldn't even look at it and just spout off a cause. I have never tried dry ice but CO2 works wonders.

What kind of noise are you hearing I have a clunking noise from my front axle but I need to rebuild my front axle. have you checked your brakes? many possibilities for noises and many different reasons for it.

1993 7.3 IDI, crew cab, long box, 4x4 and a half, XLT with ATS turbo.
Glowshift Boost, Trans, Pyrometer gauges with glow shift pod.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 07:24 PM

every bad wheel bearing i've dealt with the o=noise would go away if you turned one direction and get louder turning the other direction. not sure about trucks though(i've only had bearings go bad on cars).

just my $.02

91' dakota 3.9l 4x4 103k ~ scrap
89' f250 7.3l 4x4 140k ~ toy/hauler
81 Kawi kz550 12k ~ resto project
98' intrigue 3.8l 185k ~ dd(definitely disabled)
R.I.P. my brother Andrew O. 12/12/1990-9/26/12
R.I.p. love of my life Sarah G. 4/12/1990-8/3/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in