Trouble starting 1992 7.3 IDI, 227,000 miles - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:46 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trouble starting 1992 7.3 IDI, 227,000 miles

Hello, I am having non turbo IDI problems on a 1992 F250. I shut it off with the key one day and never ran again. I have replaced my starter and fuel pump, trying to get this truck with 227,000 miles to start and run just a bit longer. The starter is an $85 starter and I have heard they can cause problems and that the ones that are $220 at Advance are much more reliable. The sales reps looked for 30 min and only found an 11” starter and mine is like a 13” so I had to buy online. The starter seems to crank fast, maybe 150-200 rpm, sounds as fast as the old when it worked right. I can not count the revolutions. WTS stays on about 8 seconds, tach does not move, no smoke upon crank, crank battery is new from Sept 2019. Aux battery is 2018 and fully charged, tested good at Advance. I installed brand new glow plugs. I was told to unplug both connectors on FPS and if it clicks when I plug them back in then it’s good. The weirdest thing is I hear an air pressure/compression sound while cranking, sounds almost like someone pumping a weed sprayer and it also sounds almost like I am cranking it with straight pipes, giving it that fast whomp whomp, whomp whomp sound as air is pushed out but truck has a recent full custom exhaust that has a “y” out the back so I guess I am really hearing the sound coming out of the air breather. I am pretty sure I don’t have any exhaust leaks, never heard any when truck was running. There had also been a whooshing sound that sounded almost like air or fuel was being forced back into the fuel tank so I thought blown fuel pump diaphragm. Before replacing the fuel pump I had no pressure at Schrader valve, now with the new fuel pump fuel shoots out about 1 1/2” -2.” I would says it’s got the 3-4 psi it needs to start. Have you ever experienced these problems? I couldn’t think of any better way to describe the sounds. I hope you can help me. Thank you!

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Not sure what happened, some how text got messed up, was suppose to say that I have a 13 inch long starter and they could only find me an 11 inch long starter so I ordered online. Also I was trying to say I am pretty sure I don’t have any exhaust leaks, is a full custom system with y out the back. Also I do not have access to fuel pressure tester or compression tester, just FYI. Thanks!

Will
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2019, 01:59 AM Thread Starter

Also notice any words it is, do not and could not are also messed up, this is retarded. I have never been on a site where I had to spell everything out to avoid random text in my posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 09:42 AM

If you didn't have any fuel coming out the schrader valve before you changed the lift pump, it is likely that the injector pump is air locked. Crack the nuts loose at each injector and crank the engine until it puts a little squirt of fuel out of each of them. It will probably start before they all get fuel, just tighten the rest of them after it starts. The injector pump can only build pressure if there isn't any air in the lines going to the injectors.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in