THE TRUCKWITH THE FRANKEN-FLYWHEEL - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
THE TRUCKWITH THE FRANKEN-FLYWHEEL

So I am changing the clutch/pressure plate in my truck. I noticed that there was a broken spring in the dual mass flywheel, so since I had one from an exact same truck that only had a little use before the truck died, I decided to use it. Then I discovered that the 7.3 engine used two very different flywheels, at least where the pressure plate mounts. Things being a little tight right now, I decided to swap the outer plate of the flywheel with the one that I had pulled off. It fits, bolts up right, rocks like it should, and looks like it belongs there. Before I stab the transmission, since what I did isn't a common practice, I need to know: Does anyone know of a reason this won't work. While I would like to save a little money, I also don't want to break a crankshaft either.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

What! 120 of y'all have looked at this, and I don't even get a smart-ass remark

35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:21 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you sure that you didn't put the spring in backwards or upside down?

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

No springs ever came out other than the broken one. I know it was broke because it was in two pieces. I saw that before I ever took anything apart. The reason I wasn't going to use the old flywheel. As far as difference, it was the bolt pattern on the clutch plate of the replacement that wouldn't match up with the pressure plate, internal parts all looked the same. I swapped clutch plates, all of the springs stayed caged where they belonged, never moved. I made sure that nothing moved while I was replacing the clutch plate (mostly because I didn't feel like eating flying springs). I used the base of the replacement, and the clutch plate from the original. Torqued all of the bolts down to 50 LBS/FT, with blue locktite, crankshaft, and clutch plate bolts

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:56 PM

You say exact same truck, but to be sure were they both non turbos? The balance is different between NA and turbo. Can't interchange.
Otherwise, I'd say go for it.

93F250 XLT Lariat 7.3NA 4X4
4.10s LS reg cab
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:57 PM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrebuiltdodge View Post
What! 120 of y'all have looked at this, and I don't even get a smart-ass remark
Personally, I've never had mine apart. And it appears to be a mysterious "dead spot" when it comes to any information on the dual mass flywheel ass'y in IDI shop manuals. I've got a FoMoCo 7.3 engine and trans, etc, manuals plus a Navistar 7.3 engine manual and no mention or even a pic in any of them.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250dream View Post
You say exact same truck, but to be sure were they both non turbos? The balance is different between NA and turbo. Can't interchange.
Otherwise, I'd say go for it.
Both non turbo.
Based on what everyone said, I'm going to run it. I'll post updates when and if something happens

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

The balance is different between NA and turbo. Can't interchange

It has just occurred to me, that they put turbochargers on non-turbo engines all of the time, but I have never heard of anyone ever changing the flywheel, nor have I ever heard of any damage because of that.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:35 PM

For some reason that doesn't make any sense since they are basically the same engine.

For LMJD perhaps the reason that the manuals don't speak of repairing them is that the flywheel is considered a one time use only and not intended to be rebuilt.

Hope it works out for you
LMJD and oldrebuiltdodge like this.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrebuiltdodge View Post
The balance is different between NA and turbo. Can't interchange
It has just occurred to me, that they put turbochargers on non-turbo engines all of the time, but I have never heard of anyone ever changing the flywheel, nor have I ever heard of any damage because of that.
You are absolutely right, I installed my ATS kit at 30,000 miles on my non-turboed '91, got 249,000 on it now and never touched the flywheel, clutch, and no engine or clutch vibration. Back in the day when these IDI's were fairly new and installing aftermarket turbo kits was REAL common with a lot of members here, there was never any mention of a balance problem. Like some other forum "revelations", probably something somebody dreamed up to sound more knowledgeable than the next guy. Plus after all these years I've still got my ATS installation instructions which are real complete and informative and there's no mention there either of a balance problem.
bugman likes this.

Last edited by LMJD; 03-19-2019 at 09:42 AM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
For some reason that doesn't make any sense since they are basically the same engine.

For LMJD perhaps the reason that the manuals don't speak of repairing them is that the flywheel is considered a one time use only and not intended to be rebuilt.

Hope it works out for you
Trust me if ANYTHING doesn't look or feel right, it WILL be coming right back off. I've rebuilt many engines, and seen quite a few strange things, besides the one 7.3 broke crankshaft I already had because of a failed flywheel (that one just flat wore out). Just saying I know what flywheel vibration feels and sounds like. This is just a get-by until I can rebuild an engine to put in this truck anyway, but I want to get by until I'm ready to change it out.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:34 PM

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to factory turbo's vs NA. The engine internals are different on the turbo engine, different balance from the NA. The factory turbo's flywheel has a different balance. Turbo itself makes no difference, and I've never heard anyone say that. Hope that helps.

93F250 XLT Lariat 7.3NA 4X4
4.10s LS reg cab
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I guess I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to factory turbo's vs NA
That's what we're referring to. Most of us are aware of the internal differences of the factory turboed engines, Keystone rings, larger wrist pins, etc. However, hundreds of us have installed aftermarket ATS, Banks, and Hypermax turbo kits on our factory non-turboed pickups over the years with original non-turboed flywheels and there's no problems whatsoever after doing so, balance wise or otherwise.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

It made smoke today. No abnormal vibrations, or unusual noises. I have discovered that I am getting entirely too old to be doing that sort of thing. I think I'll leave that for those young bucks who think nothing of bench pressing a transmission. Still can't drive it yet, bleeding the clutch, and while I was in there, I must have knocked something loose under the dash, no start from in the cab. I also replaced the power brake booster, so there is bleeding the brakes too.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:43 PM

I have found that with age comes wisdom.

I have found a great mechanic and he loves working on OBS trucks with the 7.3 in them. He was a dealer mechanic before he opened up his own shop.

I have also learned that I am beyond muscling a transmission up and back into place not to mention pulling it out. I have also found that I like the skin on my knuckles and clean fingernails. Not to mention that I don't need anymore tools than I already have. So when a job comes up that I just don't want to do I take my truck down to the mechanic shop and let him have at it.

I then load up my other vehicle and go fishing.
oldrebuiltdodge likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in