what is this gizmo? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question what is this gizmo?

This gizmo on my '88 7.3 IDI started smoking the other day and blew the glow plug fuse, so I chucked it out and now I wish I hadn't because the cold timing advance doesn't kick in and starting is kind of hard. It said Eaton Controls on it. Does ANYONE know

(1) what it is called?
(2) what does it do? Control cold timing?
(3) where can I get another one?

Basically this thing is a hockey puck with a cable plugged on the side and a single vacuum hose on the flat side that goes to the IP. It's near the fuel filter tower on the right wheel well. It seems to be for opening/closing a vacuum line which I think is connected to the cold timing advance on the IP. Mainly I just need another one, or some alternative solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gizmo 4.png
Views:	35
Size:	871.7 KB
ID:	126602  

Name:	glow plug control 1.png
Views:	22
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	126604  

Last edited by dirtyBob; 02-10-2019 at 09:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:39 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
We may never know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM

Still no picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:51 PM

The first few posts in this thread explain how to post pics anywhere regardless of post count:
How do I post pictures, sounds, and or videos? | SuperMotors.net Forums | SuperMotors.net

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Bump. Doesn't anyone know what it is?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 06:52 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

what is this gizmo?

Take a picture where the hose goes. Looks small to be a vacuum canister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM

I wonder if clouds ever look down on us and say, "Hey, look - that one is shaped like an idiot!"
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

It's not a canister. I broke the old one open and it had this spring in it, thermal type of spring. There was a diaphragm too if I recall. Here's the hose. A vacuum hose routing diagram would really help. Without this mystery gizmo from the 80s of the ford diesel pickup truck world, starting the truck is very hard. It needs the cold timing advance to start. You can start the engine but without the timing advanced its hard on batteries. This thing apparently controlled it. Does anybody know what this thing is called and what one can do to replace it when it burns up, as did mine? It's like out of production by 20 years at this point I am guessing. And yeah, I know I need a newer truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GIZMO (1).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	126610  

Name:	GIZMO (3).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	485.2 KB
ID:	126612  

Last edited by dirtyBob; 02-10-2019 at 09:23 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Here's a picture of the missing gizmo. This is from a 1985 with the 6.9.

what is this gizmo?-gizmo-5-.png

This close up pic was taken from a 1996 7.3 powerstroke engine bay. Apparently this mysterious highly confusing strange bizarre wonderful missing mystery gizmo was used to control timing advance from about 1982 to the late 90s. Nobody owns one?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gizmo 6.png
Views:	17
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	126616  

Last edited by dirtyBob; 02-10-2019 at 09:48 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:04 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
It needs the cold timing advance to start. You can start the engine but without the timing advanced its hard on batteries. This thing apparently controlled it.
Not true, back in the day FoMoCo stated the cold advance and cold fast idle are strictly to lessen cold engine smoke complaints. Bought my pickup new in '91 and disconnected the timing advance about 2 weeks later. With the advance on, it sounded like the pistons were going to fly through the hood. Can't be good on an ice-cold engine. And with starting, glow plugs and fuel system in A-1 shape mine will start in 3 seconds at 10-20. According to the shop manual, the component you have circled is the low vacuum warning switch.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:10 AM

My Photos: (1)
I believe it to be a barometric pressure switch...it's purpose is to adjust air mixture relevant to the elevation your at.

1992 f-350.4x4 srw.rebuilt e4od.rebuilt injection pump. no soup bowl,no muffler,straight pipe.. 8 foot power angle Artic blade/7 1/2 ft p/a Fisher blade. 280,000kms and counting.Paint to come.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnose View Post
I believe it to be a barometric pressure switch...it's purpose is to adjust air mixture relevant to the elevation your at.
I'd be interested in knowing just how that works??

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Not true, back in the day FoMoCo stated the cold advance and cold fast idle are strictly to lessen cold engine smoke complaints. Bought my pickup new in '91 and disconnected the timing advance about 2 weeks later. With the advance on, it sounded like the pistons were going to fly through the hood. Can't be good on an ice-cold engine. And with starting, glow plugs and fuel system in A-1 shape mine will start in 3 seconds at 10-20. According to the shop manual, the component you have circled is the low vacuum warning switch.
Ding ding ding. That's it. Part identified (thank you). Apparently it is wired to the idiot light for brakes so you know the vacuum is low if it is. I just don't understand why the cold timing advance is not working now, but maybe it's because when I threw out this smoking low vacuum warning device, out I also left the vacuum tube disconnected and the cold advance is run by that. It's nice to know it won't make the engine easier to start (thanks). Probably mine has air in the lines despite trying every trick known to man to cure that, return lines, olives, washers, on and on, also probably a somewhat worn starter and weak-ish batteries now. I might try and replace the (now identified) low vacuum warning switch since power brakes are handy on these trucks. I bet I'm headed to the junk yard (120 miles round trip) for one.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:26 AM

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnose View Post
On a diesel? How would that work?

On a diesel the airflow into the engine isn't controlled, it's wide open all the time. Power is controlled by how much diesel is injected. The injection pump is all mechanical and is controlled by the cable from the accelerator pedal.

Mark
Former
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:59 PM

You're welcome.
Quote:
Probably mine has air in the lines despite trying every trick known to man to cure that, return lines, olives, washers, on and on,
Yeah, like I stated above, mine starts real quick, but it also lets me know real quick-like when I suddenly develop a air problem in the drainback system. I can't remember and I could be wrong but I think the cold timing advance is governed strictly by one of the 2 coolant temp senders like the fast cold idle is.
And if your starter is due for an overhaul, getting it rebuilt will make a big difference in cranking speed and quicker startup.

Last edited by LMJD; 02-10-2019 at 05:02 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyBob View Post
...to the junk yard (120 miles round trip)...
Put your location in your profile - someone might be close enough to help you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in