Won't start after bleeding lines - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Had my head up my ass and ran out of fuel, I added 5 gal, bled the lines and she still fails to start, any suggestions? All she does is turn over. I went ahead and changed the filter to, she still just turns over and over, fuel is coming out all 8 injectors. She worked fine. I pulled a 98 Chevy k1500 outta ditch the other night and drove 14 min away and back to the store, the next day she died in my driveway. I added another 5 gal and only thing that's changed is my new batteries are in need of a charge soon.

Last edited by WesEdwards; 08-09-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: More info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesEdwards View Post
Had my head up my ass and ran out of fuel, I added 5 gal, bled the lines and she still fails to start, any suggestions? All she does is turn over. I went ahead and changed the filter to, she still just turns over and over, fuel is coming out all 8 injectors. She worked fine. I pulled a 98 Chevy k1500 outta ditch the other night and drove 14 min away and back to the store, the next day she died in my driveway. I added another 5 gal and only thing that's changed is my new batteries are in need of a charge soon.

You are saying you are getting fuel out of the injector lines? Or did you just bleed the fuel system up to the filter head?

If you didn't purge the air from the injector lines, it'll never start up. How to Crack Injector Lines and Purge Air on a 6.9 / 7.3 IDI Diesel Engine ? IDI Online

If you did purge the air from the injector lines and you are getting fuel from the cracked lines, then you might have a low battery. I always need at least 12.1V on the batteries to get enough speed to start the engine, but it'll turn over and over and over if it's less than 12.0V

Another problem could be you have a bad cell in the battery. Once one of my batteries got a bad cell, and it wouldn't start even if I jumped it. Really odd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Yes fuel is seeping from the injectors while I bleed them, they are new batteries as well, I will try recharging them, if it fails I'll have them tested and so on and so forth.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 01:22 PM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
Yes fuel is seeping from the injectors while I bleed them, they are new batteries as well, I will try recharging them, if it fails I'll have them tested and so on and so forth.
That could be some residual fuel, first and most important, did you fill the new filter with (clean) fuel?

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Yes I filled it with fuel, I just swapped out my batteries for brand new ones, I even tried a gas rag, still no go.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Yes fuel is seeping from the injectors while I bleed them,
Hmmmm.

Is it a lot of diesel or a dribble of diesel from the end of the injector line? Like if you put an empty baby-food jar under the injector line end (above the injector), how fast would it fill the jar?

If it's just a trickle, then you might have a stuck metering valve. I had this happen to me a few times (coincidentally whenever my tank ran dry or if i put in a dry IP from the shelf) and the only thing that seemed to get more fuel to the injectors was fiddling with the IP's metering valve:

How to Manipulate the Metering Valve on 6.9 / 7.3 IDI Injector Pump ? IDI Online

There is a video kind of explaining how to do it, but it's a long shot. It's also the kind of thing that a noob shouldn't fiddle with, so unless you have some moderate mechanical experience, you should likely leave this alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

It's more of a steady beat I doubt it will fill out a jar anytime soon. I guess I'll try and see about messing with the IP. I have a good amount of mechanical experience I do most of my work at home or with my dad or a buddy, I'm usually the guy who fixes others vehicles, I'm just new to diesel. I'm just hoping I don't have to replace the IP those things are $400 under my discount at O'Reilly's but I digress. My uncle owns a 7.3 PSD he believes the problem could be my glow plug relay. we both do understand that the 7.3 IDI & PSD are two different animals just sharing the same displacement.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:10 PM

I doubt your GP relay died at the same time as you running out of fuel, but maybe it could be a coincidence. If your GP's are not charging, then you could have a hard time starting it. You can check them rather quickly. Just put a multimeter on one of the GP leads and turn the key. It should start up the GP relay and WTS light, and then you should see some voltage flowing thru the system.

Don't use one of your O'Reilly injector pumps. Buy from a reputable rebuilder, like R&D IDI Performance, conastoga diesel, etc.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Update, it seems like nothing is coming from the shrader valve. Not even air, ima keep trying as soon as I can get a reliable second hand. To my understanding, all my pumps should be mechanical, hence why i can't find a pump relay, although a repetitive whirring sound comes when the key is flipped on. I've also found a small vacuum line that seems to be detached but cannot seem to find where it goes. He kinda flops around under the Fuel Filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15338553786336686109486504135687_1533855402850.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	125137  

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Won't start after bleeding lines

I've also found this guy, no idea what he is or what he does, but looks important.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15338622095194283618271499969557_1533862248010.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	125139  

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 08:09 PM

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That part isn’t your problem. If your not getting any air or fuel from the schrader valve on the filter header, make sure the tank is at least 1/2 full. Then if you still have nothing at the valve change the lift pump. It’s on the bottom of the block on the passenger side.

Until you get fuel TO the injector pump, your wasting your time.
LMJD likes this.

1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually

ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler:

2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure

Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns:

PM please not visitor message
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Update, it seems like nothing is coming from the shrader valve. Not even air, ima keep trying as soon as I can get a reliable second hand. To my understanding, all my pumps should be mechanical, hence why i can't find a pump relay, although a repetitive whirring sound comes when the key is flipped on. I've also found a small vacuum line that seems to be detached but cannot seem to find where it goes. He kinda flops around under the Fuel Filter.
Those plugs are not important. The first one under your filter is for the older style filter, to detect if you have water in your fuel. Since you are running a newer style filter, you couldn't plug it in if you wanted to.

If you are not getting any fuel out of the schrader valve, then follow these instructions: What to do if no Diesel Fuel is coming out of the Schroeder Valve on a 6.9 / 7.3 IDI ? IDI Online

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:18 AM

Your lift pump might be airlocked. Hook a mighty vac , or something like that to the filter head, I use the port where the sending unit screws in and pump on it till you get fuel. Saves the batteries, then crack the injector lines until you get a flow there. What you have done so far is completely empty the injector pump, because there isn't aything feeding the filter

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Okay so I've made advancement I have changed the lifter pump, my old pump would rattle when I shook it, the lever was seized and the two lines were bent at the large tubes that the lines attached to I put a new mechanical lift pump on there and I now have fuel coming out of the Schrader valve but I'm not sure if it's supposed to gush out as if it is an old-style well it streams then it stops in a streams and it stops excetra or if it's supposed to be one current stream that doesn't stop
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:17 AM

Just purge the air out of the fuel lines (a lot easier on your starter if you use a brake-line bleeder or other vacuum type tool), then crack the injectors, and purge the air out of the IP and injector lines.

How to Crack Injector Lines and Purge Air on a 6.9 / 7.3 IDI Diesel Engine ? IDI Online

If you are getting decent flow out of your schrader valve, then you are pretty much good to go with that new lift pump. It's not going to be a super-soaker... it's more or less going to be somewhere between a decent dribble and a low pressure flow of diesel.

As long as you have fuel getting to 4-6 injectors without air in the lines, it should turn over. Make sure your batteries are topped up, so put them on a charger over night.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in