World Record Shipping on 7.3L-N/A- IDI Gear Reduction Starter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 8gitmusik1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
World Record Shipping on 7.3L-N/A- IDI Gear Reduction Starter

Hey ya'll,

Just another story, from the "Deep South Georgia 40"....

So, after much stress on my wallet from Big Box stores, and online price and availablity and core charges, but in the end, I ended up having to give in and I ordered a Gear Reduction Starter from DB Electrical. And, what happened next.... blew the doors off my neighbors Pinto, lol.

Here's the DL......

Its going on a Early 1994 E350 7.3L N?A IDI DIESEL Cargo Van. Did my research, no bad press I could easily find on this company out of Tennessee, called DB Elecrical, they do NEW starters, Alternators and such, so anyway, I called em and an ol dog, said he'd been ther 4ever, spoke to me kindly, knew his stuff and got my name right so I pulled the trigger on the part at 11:30am Tuesday, yep, yesterday for all ya'll just tired and gettin' home from the grind.

Anyway, faster than you can say, 240 Gordy its here, yes sir!?!

Snafu, kinsu, kungfu, its at my door....

Hardly believable but true, 24hrs. later! At 11:30AM, on Wednesday, today, from Tennessee to just above Tallahassee, FL in little Thomasville GA., it was delivered. WOW!

And, the kicker, FREE SHIPPING, YEP, believe it, on a BRAND NEW Gear Reduction Starter with NO CORE charge! Wow, WOW, WOOAAOOHH!

Blew me away as all I can say. Take this with a grain of salt, but, amazing to me from Tennessee to just above Tallahassee, FL in lower South Georgia in world record shipping time.

Hope this info helps others here, and hopefully, others have the same great shipping and customer service experience I had.

YMMV

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:23 AM

My Photos: (27)
Hope the starter is long lasting and don't mean to rain on your parade but like all the other online, parts house, production line starters they don't have the best rep. I was going to order all the components from them to overhaul my starter and found their parts were the "off shore" stuff. Most any experienced mechanic will tell you for an alternator or starter overhaul you get the best rebuild with the best components by taking it to a local auto electric shop.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:41 AM

I have gotten a couple of starters from them they worked out ok . Did you get a three or two bolt one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Hope the starter is long lasting and don't mean to rain on your parade but like all the other online, parts house, production line starters they don't have the best rep. I was going to order all the components from them to overhaul my starter and found their parts were the "off shore" stuff. Most any experienced mechanic will tell you for an alternator or starter overhaul you get the best rebuild with the best components by taking it to a local auto electric shop.
LMJD,
Thank you for your input Right now. I hope this starter lasts more than the warranty period of one year. For under $100, that would be acceptable to have it fail in 1-1/2" to 3 years which is what the overseas starters designed failure rate, which is average from some data I read somewhere on a heavily used starter made in Asia. Since its not a OEM Arrowhead which is what came stock and lasted a VERY long time but for OEM, costs $358, I agree, you get what you pay for usually. The good thing is TODAY its NOT raining! I got it FAST, needed it NOW and is what I could handle financially.

So, for the price and availability the starter, the company DB ELECTRICAL and the shipper UPS are a WIN for me and as to what I was able to afford TODAY, I am honestly just GRATEFUL just to be getting my van back on the road.

LMJD, as for as their reputation, do you have ANY specific details I can go read somewhere, when you say "They don't have the best rep"?

I would REALLY appreciate a more lengthly explanation, for myself to know more info and so others here that may read this thread may get the best information and make the best decision for themselves. Or, do you just say this from YOUR "opinion"?

Or, is that statement, from YOUR personal experience or use? If its just what you heard, thru the grapevine, then, I would really like to read facts that I can prove, so, if I got a "piece o' crud" from a company that will treat me like "crud" then I'd like to read about it and prove it to myself before the warranty period is up.

If not, I don't want a bad rep. given to their product, without documented proof from actual use and failure timeframe. I think thats only fair, don't you?

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy 4614 View Post
I have gotten a couple of starters from them they worked out ok . Did you get a three or two bolt one?
Randy4614,

Thanks for your input

Glad to hear that you had a good experience with them (DB ELECTRICAL).

When you say, "they worked out ok" could you please explain a little more for myself and others who may read this now and in the future and provide MORE IN DEPTH DETAILS?

How many starters, what type and was it a Gear Reduction have you had experience with and how do they work, react in cold weather, provide more info on longevity with them, "in use"?

Did you get a good deal, what did you pay, how fast and how good was your shipping experience?

I had not heard of them before stumbling across them while doing research on price, warranty and availablity.

Oh, BTW, to answer your question, I got the 3 hole gear reduction version starter for 88-94 Ford 7.3L Non turbo, IDI diesel engine.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:35 PM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
LMJD, as for as their reputation, do you have ANY specific details I can go read somewhere, when you say "They don't have the best rep"?
Just the fact that various guys have said they only lasted a few years. The originals on the '91 era trucks were Mitsubishi and mine finally got overhauled after 19 years and with 242,333 miles on it. And then the only component that was really worn out were the brushes which is to be expected after all that time. I was going to overhaul mine myself, but the local auto electric guy where I was going to buy the parts convinced me otherwise because the factory brush wires are spot welded in rather than held in with small screws. His bill for a complete rebuild was $104. The 2 other brands that came on these pickups were Delco and Nippondenso. The only bad ones were the Delco, they had a high early failure rate, but Ford wised up because they were only on the very first couple years of Ford diesels, like '83 and '84.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.

Last edited by LMJD; 02-14-2019 at 12:47 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
Just the fact that various guys have said they only lasted a few years. The originals on the '91 era trucks were Mitsubishi and mine finally got overhauled after 19 years and with 242,333 miles on it. And then the only component that was really worn out were the brushes which is to be expected after all that time. I was going to overhaul mine myself, but the local auto electric guy where I was going to buy the parts convinced me otherwise because the factory brush wires are spot welded in rather than held in with small screws. His bill for a complete rebuild was $104. The 2 other brands that came on these pickups were Delco and Nippondenso. The only bad ones were the Delco, they had a high early failure rate, but Ford wised up because they were only on the very first couple years of Ford diesels, like '83 and '84.
LMJD,
I appreciate your time and feedback. Glad to hear that various other guys (who, where, what application, conditions, lots of variables that effect use and longevity) have said they got a few years use.

Personally, I'm ok with a few years, as the starter isn't that hard to replace, and for $96 shipped for free (built in shipping cost of $25.00 by UPS, based on my shipping charge from other companies when I placed their starters in their online shopping cart at checkout).

This translates to me to costing me $71 for a BRAND NEW more heavy duty and more expensive, GEAR REDUCTION STARTER.

The big PLUS is, I got to KEEP my ORIGINAL Arrowhead starter. I plan on getting that rebuilt LOCALLY and then put it on a shelf as a BACKUP.

For me, like you, the original starter lasted a LONG, LONG time and it was icing on the cake to be able to keep it for rebuild as a backup for future use.

LMJD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 7.3L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in