1987 Ford F250 Turn Signal Issues - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.9L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1987 Ford F250 Turn Signal Issues

I have an '87 F-250 that has turn signal problems. I turn my turn signal on as if I were to turn left and I notice that my driver's side front turn signal is not flashing but the driver's side rear tail light turn signal flashes just fine. Both turn signals on the passenger side work. I find it a little odd that the rear flashes but not the front. It's not the bulbs because my running lights work, so I'm kind of confused as to where to look first, any thoughts?

--

Vince

The Average Mechanic
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube Channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Owns a 1987 Ford F-250 Lariat Extended Cab with a 6.9 International Diesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 PM

The most-likely suspect is the turn/hazard switch. This failure can often be remedied by simply cycling the hazard switch repeatedly. The terminals are designed to self-clean with use.

If that doesn't fix it, the turn switch is likely burned internally. Click this & read the captions:

(phone app link)

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:02 AM

My Photos: (27)
Quote:
The most-likely suspect is the turn/hazard switch. This failure can often be remedied by simply cycling the hazard switch repeatedly. The terminals are designed to self-clean with use.
No it's not other than the wires going directly to the light itself, they're two separate circuits with each having their own flashers and of course separate switches (this isn't a bronco). Self cleaning??
La_Grua00, the first thing to check, which is the problem 99 percent of the time, is a poor ground between the T/S light housing to the body panel.

Heavy truck and diesel mechanic (thankfully retired after 30+ yrs)
'91 F-250 SC 4X4, 5spd. ATS Turbo, 3:55 diff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:14 AM

is the signal/park light double filament bulb?

early 99 f250 auto 190000 miles ts6 chip, riffraff frx, 6637 filter with riffraff cover edpv delete 4in exhaust tru- cool max,dedc tow mirrors with lights/heat,glow shift boost,egt,trans, fuel, gauges. hopkins agility brake control,pyle backup camera,firestone air bags,marinco plug, 265/75r 16 cooper discoverer a/t3 tires sinister diesel coolant filter,Bilstein 5100 stancor gpr.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 10:19 AM

Unless I'm having a brain-fade which is entirely possible, park light and T/S are two separate filaments. Not so decades ago if I remember right. It's easy to tell, turn on park lights and a turn signal, if the turn signal is way brighter then two filaments.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMJD View Post
...the wires going directly to the light itself, they're two separate circuits...
The circuits separate AT the turn/hazard switch. The hazard switch combines them. So if the hazard switch contacts are dirty, some of the circuits don't work, like he's describing.
Quote:
...and of course separate switches...
No, the turn/hazard switch assembly is for all 4 light circuits, and both flasher circuits.
Quote:
...this isn't a bronco...
Do you think the turn/hazard wiring is even slightly different? Other than the lengths of the wires?
Quote:
Self cleaning?
Yes, most switch contacts are designed to self-clean by abrasion. The window & lock switches are notable exceptions.
Quote:
...a poor ground between the T/S light housing to the body panel.
The turn housing is plastic - it doesn't ground to anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
is the signal/park light double filament bulb?
Yes. Turn/hazard/brake on the bright filament; park on the dim one.

Last edited by Steve83; 03-16-2018 at 11:32 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
No, the turn/hazard switch assembly is for all 4 light circuits, and both flasher circuits.
Have you ever even opened the door on a pre '91 (or any) Ford diesel? They have two totally separate switches and two separate flashers. As for the rest, not worth a comment.

Last edited by LMJD; 03-16-2018 at 11:42 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 06:41 PM

Yes - several. Have you ever looked at the wiring diagrams? Are you saying the diesel steering column or turn/hazard switch is different from a gasser's?

No comment about grounding a plastic light housing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in