Drove into tire shop fine, now she wont fire up - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.9L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By oldrebuiltdodge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Drove into tire shop fine, now she wont fire up

So truck has been running and starting perfectly for 3 years now. Changed all glow plugs, relay, voltage controller next to relay, and starter. Easy stuff for a reliable truck. So I went to tire shop to fix alignment today. They looked saw a bigger issue with tie rods and I decided to wait on the the fix. Tire mechanic jumps in truck says it wont fire up. This has not happened once since I put work into it 3 yrs ago. Coincidence? I don't think so...but hey **** happens.

My glow plugs are on a temporary switch, push button style on the dash. I told them this in case it got cold, and I think the tire dude may have pressed it far too long and somehow fried the relay and/or starter solenoid. I swapped relay and voltage controller out, nothing. Starter went from a dead click to no sound at all. I pulled starter and it is def dead. No response at all. Got new starter and installing in the morning.

Theorys on what went wrong? And how should I deal with tire shop? They were completely hands off mechanically. I spent 3 hours trying to fix this and swapping parts while the jerks started and laughed me off. Saying, it's an old truck man, that sucks. Ya..it sucks I came here and it got fried.

Frustrated, trying to care of this the right way though. Opinions and advice welcome.

This truck is only running bc of this forum so I have a lot of respect for this community. Thanks ahead of time.

1984 F250 XL 6.9L 4x4 200k original rebuilt 20k+ Frankendash, aftermarket turbo non functional, work truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 10:39 AM

It would be easier to help you if ALL the truck's details were in your signature as this caption explains:

(phone app link)

But my first guess is always BATTERY TERMINALS, as the captions in this photo album explain:

(phone app link)

Also check all the ring terminals on the heavy battery cables; especially the stack on the starter relay & the block ground:

(phone app link)

(phone app link)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:19 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

I don’t see how this was the tireshops fault exactly. Sure its probably more than a coincidence and I guess its possible they tried to start it without toggling the GP switch at all or toggling it too long but that is the risk when a retro fit switch is installed by the owner.

Best to just focus on the mechanical repair like you are doing.

Sounds like you need to get a charge on those batteries also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

84 250 XL 6.9 for the record. Still figuring out how to do signature.

Anyways, fixed it. Replaced starter relay, starter motor. Both fried. Guy overcranked ignition and let starter run till it burned out I suppose. Or perhaps it was an act of god. They are paying parts and repairs regardless.

Honestly, if they had offered one bit of help I wouldn't ask for a dime. Manners and respect for others property is more important.

1984 F250 XL 6.9L 4x4 200k original rebuilt 20k+ Frankendash, aftermarket turbo non functional, work truck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordansaia View Post
84 250 XL 6.9 for the record. Still figuring out how to do signature.

Anyways, fixed it. Replaced starter relay, starter motor. Both fried. Guy overcranked ignition and let starter run till it burned out I suppose. Or perhaps it was an act of god. They are paying parts and repairs regardless.

Honestly, if they had offered one bit of help I wouldn't ask for a dime. Manners and respect for others property is more important.
Thats great they ponied up the price of parts and you got it running.

Sorry to play the devils advocate here and don’t let what I say reflect on your opinion of this forum. Sometimes I am just an opiniated SOB as I get older but from my way of thinking, I would not want young guys who work at a tire shop wrenching on my vehicle except for lugnuts. Especially if they don’t know enough to not overcrank a starter as you indicate.
Besides, if I was their boss I would not let them assist you in any way because:

1: They get hurt and its outside of their scope of work. I am responsible. I trained them only to safely change tires. Not perform other vehicle repairs.

2: Any customer who is angry and just accused my guys of causing his vehicle harm once is very likely to accuse them of any future damage as well and a 25 year old truck can easily have additional old components ready to fail or failed. Bolts that are stripped. Wiring that is cobbled together like glow plug shortcuts, etc..

No disrespect but you just got free parts and you are still PO’ed and finding fault...which tends to support my concern that if I were the manager that no matter what I did to help an irate customer it was not going to be enough in their eyes.

2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Stancor GPR. Walker BTM. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 03-18-2019 at 05:15 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

It's a sick sad world. If they gave a crap I wouldn't care. But they didnt so f em
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:19 AM

I'm just glad that my town has a lot of tire shops. If one of them ever does something like that to me, I will go to a different shop the next time. But so far, I haven't let them do anything other than change the tires, and they have done a fine job of that.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 07:40 PM

If I was the tire shop manager, I would ask you not to come back please.
bugman and meteor56 like this.

1993 F-350 crew cab non-turbo 5 speed transmission
35 years a mechanic on large stationary engines natural gas and diesel fired, and other industrial equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in