Joining the crowd... Fuel Sending unit - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.9L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Joining the crowd... Fuel Sending unit

Well it is finally my turn... My rear fuel tank developed a leak, leaking a full tank of fuel in the driveway. The fuel gauges haven't worked correctly in a long time. I picked up a new steel 19 gal tank. I figure it will last me as long as I own the truck, and if this is the original, it will likely out live me... lol. I removed the tank and fuel sending unit, and of course the shower head was indeed disintegrated. I broke the plastic electrical connector, trying to get it unplugged... and one of the fuel line slide clips ... Dang it!! In my internet search for a new sending unit, I see the MTS gastankdepot.com sells new ones, while Tri-Starr can rebuild what I have. Does anyone have experience with the new ones from MTS? Are they reliable and dependable? The picture on their web site does not show the showerhead. Do you know if this is included? Or, would I need to get one from Amazon? Is it recommended to use this showerhead strainer, or is there a mod out there, as in a simple rubber fuel line for a pickup tube? I am going to replace the filler neck hose as well, as it was pretty dry rotted and cracked in several places. Are there rubber o-rings on the fuel line connectors that I should also replace? Appreciate all opinions, and thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3228.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	125792  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:57 AM

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A few owners, maybe on the other site, had complained about the quality of the Oem style pickup. I believe one installer said the new pickup had disintegrated in a short time. So, I used the fuel hose mod with star like cuts in the inlet. I used the submersible, diesel rated hose- inner and outer rubber rated for diesel. Not much more money than a regular diesel hose. Everything with the fuel pickup has been fine since.

The full loathe honey, but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 06:55 PM

DogDare, you will get more help if you include a descrption of your truck. Look at how others post this information and do the same

1993 F250 7.3IDI Turbo (factory) 2X4 ZF5 4.10 Diff, Floating axle, Extended Cab Long Bed ZeeDee running boards, 185K miles, Second Owner

1999 Victory V92C Overdrive Sprocket, Power Commander, High Compression Pistons, Performance cam. Slash Cut pipes, Corbin Seat, Factory windscreen, Highway bars.

*Commercial pilot and certified aircraft mechanic by choice, Ford mechanic by necessity*

Most iconic aircraft ever built? Ford Tri-Motor of course!! Take a virtual tour
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2019, 07:07 PM

I just put one in my 90 IDI from gastankdepot.com , works just fine and was a good price. Looked like a good unit, time will tell. Does not come with the showerhead .

https://www.gastankdepot.com/ford-ga...ing-units.html this link takes you right to the diesel ones and they have the shower head too.

Last edited by Randy 4614; 01-19-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in