Manual tranny options for swap on my '86 6.9L IDI - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.9L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Manual tranny options for swap on my '86 6.9L IDI

I’ve picked up an 86 6.9 with a full bio diesel conversion kit and a 4 speed! It gets outstanding fuel mileage but I don’t like the high rpms I’m running on the highway! What’s my options? Would prefer the fastest swap as this is my daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 07:02 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Find out what rear end gear ratio you have and then find a higher one. Swapping the rear end out would be close to the fastest bolt in that you could do.

A different transmission isn't going to do very much for you unless you go to a overdrive unit and then you are fighting drive line lengths.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 11:38 PM

My Photos: (0)
I agree - I'd be looking for a higher (numerically lower) RAR. Higher gears are physically stronger, anyway.

But this shows a few older stickshifts that might fit:

(phone app link)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 10:07 AM

My Photos: (39)
The easiest bolt-on would be taller tires. You don't list a location so watch the emission laws.
If you have the 4:11 rear-end then the 3:55 is a bolt-in option.
Ford offered an option of a ZF-5 transmission for the 1987 6.9 and the later 7.3's. Like your T-19 4-speed, the ZF-5 needs to be for a diesel engine, but it is a bolt-in option.
Take note, in addition to the gas and diesel versions, the ZF-5 came in 2-wheel and 4-wheel versions.
Then there are the auxiliary transmissions like the DNE-2 I have, it adds an over-drive to each of my 4 gears.

Red 86 F250 Supercab XLT: Longbed, 6.9l, 4 speed with DNE-2 Overdrive, 2WD, 10.25 Sterling 4:11, Reclining Highback Captains chairs with arm-rest, Holly Red pump, push-button glowplugs, Racor 645 water separator with fuel heater, K&N Air Filter, Headlight Relay Upgrade, Fog Lights, lots of extra lights, Isspro EV series: Pyro, Oil Pressure, and Voltage in a Autometer 3 pod A-pillar. Bulldog Security System with remote entry. Offset Mirror Upgrade, Remote lube TOB. Road Watch System coming soon. PB PS PW PDL CC AC IW
BOOB man - Brotherhood of Oil Burners

1995 Toyota Camry DX: 2.2L, Bolt-action 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC.
135,016 miles: Rear-ended and totaled by an uninsured kid having a temper-tantrum
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1999 Rav4 AWD 5-speed, AC, PS, PB, CC, Sunroof.

Last edited by Joe Mc; 10-08-2018 at 10:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in