Shifter on Column Jammed - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.9L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shifter on Column Jammed

I noticed last time that I started the truck(the 85 with 3 speed auto in my sig), that I had to twist the key pretty firmly to get the truck to turn over and had to give it a little bump to get it to spring back to on. I thought the ignition switch might have slid a little on the column. I parked it and forgot about it until a few days later. I went to start the truck and the key would only turn to the on position and activate glow plugs, but not turn to the start position. I pulled the column down, pulled the ignition switch off the column, manually moved the switch and the truck started. I noticed that there was a lot of play in the rod that runs from the key switch to the ignition switch. I put the column back up with the switch hanging down so I could start and move the truck to a better location, but now I can't get it to shift past reverse. Any ideas?
How do I pull the steering column apart to get to the shift lever innards? I figure something has broken off and is obstructing the lever movement.

1985 F250 4x4 6.9 C-6
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 2.8
1997 F150 4x4 5.4
1972 Jeep Commando 5.0 304
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:33 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
My 87 has the same problem. I've removed the steering wheel but can't figure out what else needs to be removed to expose the shift rod. There was no "how to" vids available.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Jerry Heep -- 87 F350 6.9 Crew Cab, C6: K&N, Monster Exhaust + Banks Turbo. Truck name: Bad, Bad Leroy Blue.
-- 15 F250 6.7 Crew Cab. Truck Name: Yeti
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 02:23 PM

This is a very common problem on pre-'92 trucks & other Ford/L/M vehicles with the old-style column; especially those with tilt. Study this diagram & the NEXT, and read their captions:

(phone app link)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:54 AM

I have an SM on disk for my 87 and there is no instructions on how to disassemble the steering column without taking the column completely out of the cab. <sigh> Nor is there text as to how the shift lever is suppose to operate. I think my jammed shift lever is contacting some internal part that will not move out of position. I can move the lever back and maybe rotate a few degrees but that is it.

Jerry Heep -- 87 F350 6.9 Crew Cab, C6: K&N, Monster Exhaust + Banks Turbo. Truck name: Bad, Bad Leroy Blue.
-- 15 F250 6.7 Crew Cab. Truck Name: Yeti
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Heep View Post
...there is no instructions on how to disassemble the steering column without taking the column completely out of the cab. <sigh>
Right. You can't disassemble the radio or transmission without taking them out, either. And the SERVICE manual doesn't explain how the radio, transmission, or steering column works - only how to SERVICE them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in