Turned off running truck, immediately no horn, no lights, no power to cab - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
6.9L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes) Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 6.9 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Turned off running truck, immediately no horn, no lights, no power to cab

I have extensively searched this and other forms (including the evil overlord google) over the past few weeks and have found no answers, not even close, just a lot of 101 basic stuff. I may be overlooking something or missed some secret wording but here goes.

OK, so-far on this trek.

1986 F350 6.9 IDI

** Not the first time these symptoms have happened. **

Truck was running and charging last night, had intermittent issue with floor dimmer switch which needs replacing. Turned off headlights, then the running truck and immediately no horn, no lights, no power to cab! However, there is 12.5volts in the engine compartment, and the engine will crank over if relay solenoid is triggered with small wire.

• New batteries (two weeks ago),
  • New cable ends, all four (two weeks ago),
  • 12.5 v DC in engine compartment (last night)
  • Checked the 5 fusible links on curbside finder well near relay, all have power on both sides of link (last night).
    -- Yes I sealed all puncture marks with liquid tape --
  • Checked power on both sides of all the quick disconnect harness fittings that were visible. (last night)

Suggestion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Update

A couple weeks ago I boasted that I had an EMP proof truck, I should have know better than say something like that. LoL

I got tired of fooling around with the grounds, opted to buy a ground cable from parts store, went straight from the street side battery ground to the bolt where the Stanadyne filter was. The bolt was still shiny, used dielectric compound and snugged her up. No Joy. I pulled fuse block, evidently there is no QD on an 86, just the wire harness passes through a rubber boot in the firewall and branches out / connects directly to fuse block. Nothing Exciting I can find.

Ok, while I was wandering aimlessly in the wiring by impulse pulled the Emergency Flasher and they worked! Nothing else. Hmmm

Guess what's left is the ignition switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > 6.9L IDI Diesels (Not Power Strokes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in