2019 F350 Trailer Battery charge stops - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By specialtystruct

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2019, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2019 F350 Trailer Battery charge stops

Greatings,

I have owned a few 2017 and earlier models, and am familiar with the sequence in getting the trailer charge wire to power up. I now have a 2019 F350 with factory installed tow package, gooseneck hitch and bed harness. It seems that the trailer battery charge line will ONLY stay on when the brakes are applied. As soon as you release the brake pedal, the charge stops. I have the trailer batteries set up to monitor the charge from the truck, shore power, and solar. I plug into a 2017, and it works great. The charge stays on after release of the brakes. The 2019 stops charging once released. Any ideas on the issue? The same trailer worked fine in my 2017, but not the new truck. Possible bad module? Truck has 130 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 10:01 PM

Not trying to hijack your thread.

But im trying to get my 2019 f350 to charge our rv also.

But this brings up a new test for me. To push the brakes while i check the battery charge. Ill test this tomorrow and report back.

Subbed!
Old 09-02-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Problem Solved

Thanks! After I posted this thread, I figured it out. For the 2019, and maybe similar for other years prior, you will need to add your trailer to the trailer section of your dash menu. In order to get a signal from the 7 pin connector, the engine needs to be running, and vehicle in park. Using the brake controller, apply the brakes and release. You might just need to apply the foot brake also, but not sure. The drivers door needs to be CLOSED. DO NOT leave the door open, and then try to check the signal at the connector. You will not get a positive reading with your test light with the doors open on the truck. It must be a safety feature with Ford to end battery charging when the drivers door is open.

Also, if you have key-less ignition (push button start), leave the key fab IN THE TRUCK. If the horn honks twice when you close the door, its still in your pocket.

If your truck is equipped with the factory installed trailer tow package, then you will not need to add the fuse in the engine compartment. Your truck will have the module installed that eliminates the added fuse.

I use a flush mounted led volt meter on my 5th wheel that I can view from my drivers mirror to monitor voltage to the trailer. (similar to the light on reefer trailers that truckers need). Its attached to a diode that keeps the trailer battery from back-feeding the led when the truck isn't charging the trailer.
ford_doctor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2019, 09:39 PM

Funny you found this too.

I too found out the drivers door must be closed to get it to charge.

I had my fifth wheel programmed in and i guess its been chargeing all along.

But yesterday i was trying to figure it out.

When you open the door with it chargeing you open the door and the relay clicks. Close the door and it clicks to start back charging.

Wierd i know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in