Advice please on setting up my tongue weight - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice please on setting up my tongue weight

When I initially set up my 18’ Fish & Ski behind my ‘02 F350 i bought a drop hitch to get the trailer back to level. I have been surprised on the amount of hitch bounce I get on rough uneven roads. I would like to check my overall weight and tongue weight.
How do the CAT scales work at the truck stops?
There is one located close to home in Litchfield IL close to where I fish sometimes.
What’s the best way to measure my tongue weight.
The boat trailer is rated 3500 lbs. max (single axle trailer)
With the 2 stroke 150 Merc, 24 gallons of fuel, and 3 12V batteries at the transom it puts a lot of weight behind the axle. Plus loaded with gear and it’s a heavy wood core fiberglass construction. Interstate, highways, and city roads, I never notice the boat behind me but with the airlift 5000 rear bags (5#) and new Rancho 9000 shocks I was kind of surprised to feel the boat bouncing the rear of the truck on bad roads.
Sorry for the novice questions on the scales—never towed anything big yet.... thanks!

(2002 F350 CC DRW 4WD 8’ Box)

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:58 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
There are good links to be found but the gist of it is you weight it twice with the rear tires on the same spot each time. First with the trailer and then w/o. The difference between the rear tire weights is the tongue weight.
You might want to drop the tongue lower and/or move weight forward is my guess.

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Thanks 69mach! I looked this morning and found a trailer tongue scale for sale on etrailer.com, I want to find out the weight first—then I have room to move the winch post forward a few inches which will move the whole boat forward...... if still not enough then I guess I’ll loosen the axle and move rearward. There’s really no way to shift any weight load inside the boat (still amazing that this heavy a boat will plane out and WOT to 60 mph, but the Merc is a XR4–supposedly equivalent of 165hp.
Eventually I’ll stop at the CAT scales or one of our local feed/grain services to see what my truck weighs.

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in