Anybody tow with a detroit truetrac LSD or ARB and what do you think of it? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By BS Hauler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anybody tow with a detroit truetrac LSD or ARB and what do you think of it?

I need to replace my limited slip and I want to upgrade from stock. I am on road almost all the time and do not want rubbing or vibration/chattering in turns. I need some guidance here.

2002 F-250, PSD 6-speed, CC, short bed, 4X4, Toreador Red w/ Silver accent, A.R.E mx cap, Weld Super Single II and 33s in the summer, x-springs, F-350 blocks and badges, AIC, proflaps, ITP intank mod, AirDog with 3 micron filter, isspro guages and TTM, scangauge, husky liners, alarm, xm stereo,stull 5399-p grille, centramatics, ccv mod, AIS Air Filter, Southbend CON O, Detroit Truetrac LSD, coolant filter, 203 stat with billet housing, blackcloud intake heater plug/boost fitting, reese titan hitch, fabcraft PTO cover/temp sender port, prodigy brake controller, ITP Boost Annihalator, oilguard bypass filter, Mag-Hytec rear dif, bilsteins, hellwig rear stabilizer bar, ATS housing, non-ebpv pedistal and exhaust flange, magnaflow 3.5dp exhaust, ITP reg return, turbomaster wastegate controller, and ceramic coated bellowed up pipes, PHP 50t and 80p, currently 127,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 08:36 PM

My Photos: (6)
Re: anybody tow with a detroit truetrac or ARB and what do you think of it?

I've been using a Detroit Locker for a number of years. And no noise whatsoever. But it does tend to wear tires faster than normal. I've towed a 26 foot travel trailer with although I've read they don't recommend it. I don't know if you can get a trutrac for the rear. There are a number of very good limited slips for the rear of the Ford that's way better than the stock unit.

I'm not sure if I'm gonna go with a Detroit on my 08 as I will be towing a large 5iver and don't want issues but living in Canada the Ford LS is useless so I'll probably opt for a high performance unit. Auburn makes some good units.ARB is great except for you need to install a compressor as well.

Here's a link that might help you.

http://reiderracing.com/auburngear.htm

2007 F350 crewcab Lariat shortbox Diesel 4X4, Retrax Roll Top Cover, Newer tailgate with camera and step, Airaid Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Cortex tuner on mileage setting, Edge Insight CTS Monitor, Upfitter Switch Kit, Sinister Diesel Coolant Filter. Warn 12000lb Winch with Stainless Transformer setup and a pair of 150 Watt Stainless KC Daylighters. Ford Blue Spring Fuel Pressure Regulator Upgrade Kit. 200 Amp Alternator.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 PM

My Photos: (0)

towed with a detroit locker in rear of bronco, and it sucked. but traction was great. could really feel locker locking in and releasing. arb would be awesome. traction when you need it, good road manners when unlocked

'02 f-250 cc srw 4x4, auto, 4" exhaust, pillar pod w/ post and pre turbo egt, trans temp and boost, black brushguard/bumper, chrome step tubes. bully dog trans kit, ts performance 6-pos chip, stock, high idle, 50, 75, 100, 140, volant air intake

'08 f-350 cc drw 4x4, auto, mini max, 5" downpipe back exhaust. black ranchhand bullbar bumper, S&B intake.

both trucks bought in texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 08:42 PM

ARB will be going in mine. On when you need and want it...of when cruising the highway. You will spend a little more, but if you plan on keeping and using your truck, I would go the ARB route.

I have a locker in my Jeep, and the road manors are horrible. Now, with the longer wheel base of a truck it will not be as noticable.

2007 F350 White King Ranch Crew Cab 4x4
7" EDGE 4 Link Suspension, Fox Remote Reservoir Racing Shocks all the way around with Duals up Front, and Dual Steering Stabilizer. 37" Toyo MT's on 20" wheels.

Fully polished MBRP T304 turbo back exhaust finshed off with a 6" x 18" tip from ITP Diesel...Thanks Dennis!

Future mods, DePricol White Faced Gauges and a 24 volt inverter and power supply mounted in the bed,
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (5)
re: Anybody tow with a detroit truetrac LSD or ARB and what do you think of it?

The truetrac is not really a locker, it is a geared LSD. I know that I do not want a true locker, that would be too rough on pavement. An arb air locker is a thought but an adequate lsd would be fine.

2002 F-250, PSD 6-speed, CC, short bed, 4X4, Toreador Red w/ Silver accent, A.R.E mx cap, Weld Super Single II and 33s in the summer, x-springs, F-350 blocks and badges, AIC, proflaps, ITP intank mod, AirDog with 3 micron filter, isspro guages and TTM, scangauge, husky liners, alarm, xm stereo,stull 5399-p grille, centramatics, ccv mod, AIS Air Filter, Southbend CON O, Detroit Truetrac LSD, coolant filter, 203 stat with billet housing, blackcloud intake heater plug/boost fitting, reese titan hitch, fabcraft PTO cover/temp sender port, prodigy brake controller, ITP Boost Annihalator, oilguard bypass filter, Mag-Hytec rear dif, bilsteins, hellwig rear stabilizer bar, ATS housing, non-ebpv pedistal and exhaust flange, magnaflow 3.5dp exhaust, ITP reg return, turbomaster wastegate controller, and ceramic coated bellowed up pipes, PHP 50t and 80p, currently 127,000 miles.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:24 PM

Oops, sorry for not reading, my bad!

the nice thing with the trutrac is it is a gear driven device...no clutch packs or friction disks to wear out and replace. ALso uses no additives. It will provide a definate increase in traction over the stock unit...which IMO is worthless.

It will still spin one wheel if the other is really hung up...as for towing with it, cannot say.

Just noticed you are in NY. I am sure you see a great deal of ice in the winter time. the TT with the added traction to both wheels will allow the rear to slide out easier.

2007 F350 White King Ranch Crew Cab 4x4
7" EDGE 4 Link Suspension, Fox Remote Reservoir Racing Shocks all the way around with Duals up Front, and Dual Steering Stabilizer. 37" Toyo MT's on 20" wheels.

Fully polished MBRP T304 turbo back exhaust finshed off with a 6" x 18" tip from ITP Diesel...Thanks Dennis!

Future mods, DePricol White Faced Gauges and a 24 volt inverter and power supply mounted in the bed,
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 11:06 PM

Clydesdale, see my response to your pm. Thanks to global warming [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img], I haven't towed in ice or snow with my truetrac LS, so it really hasn't been tested towing on road. I have noticed, on one turn onto an entry ramp most everyday, that the inside wheel gives a bit of a 'clunk' when the truetrac locks up and shifts torque to the outside, 'traction' wheel. Good road manors, but I'm still pretty slick on wet pastures, thanks to my 'road' tires.

2002 F350 Supercab Lariat 4x4 7.3L 6 spd. B&W gooseneck, Prodigy brake controller, PAC exhaust brake, WARN manual hubs, Ford AIS, Bilsteins, Michelin LTX, Line-X bedliner, 203F t-stat, Cat ELC coolant, by-pass coolant filter.
Wife's Ride: 2006 Mercedes Benz E320 CDI
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 09:27 AM

I have detroit truetrac differentials in my truck. I tow a boat and trailer weighing around 9000 pounds and it's great. I haven't noticed any noise with mine at all. One thing though, I have them in both axles of my truck and it does make for an interesting ride in the snow. It almost feels as if all 4 wheels are engaging and disengaging all the time. You don't hear any noise, it's just that it seems that a different wheel is pulling all the time and when under anything more than moderate acceleration the truck wants to be all over the road. In short, there great for driving around (in 2wd) and great off road, but not so great in the snow (that may be because of the one in the front end, don't know).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96F3504X4 View Post
I have detroit truetrac differentials in my truck. I tow a boat and trailer weighing around 9000 pounds and it's great. I haven't noticed any noise with mine at all. One thing though, I have them in both axles of my truck and it does make for an interesting ride in the snow. It almost feels as if all 4 wheels are engaging and disengaging all the time. You don't hear any noise, it's just that it seems that a different wheel is pulling all the time and when under anything more than moderate acceleration the truck wants to be all over the road. In short, there great for driving around (in 2wd) and great off road, but not so great in the snow (that may be because of the one in the front end, don't know).
Hello, Just wondered what kind of life you got out of your truetrac diffs. I'm thinking of adding one to my 2wd F250. Thanks!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 01:21 PM

Garage
The true-trac should last the life of your truck. I myself like the Detroit locker myself. Especially if you have a 2wd truck.
Just remember that the D L is like a spool any time that you put power to the rear end. Once you let the truck coast it unlocks and is like an open rear end. You will learn to let it roll thru turns so it unlocks.
Now the Detroit true-trac is a gear operated differential that applies the same amount of torque to the rear wheels all the time that you put power to the rear end.
So lets say you get stuck with the true-trac and you have one wheel on dry pavement and one wheel in the mud on the shoulder. You have a 2wd truck.
If it takes lets just say 5,000 # of force to move the truck. The wheel in the mud only can hold 500# of force before it spins. You are still going to be stuck because the true-trac can only put 500# of force to the wheel on the dry pavement and 500# to the wheel in the mud and the rest of the force is going to used to just spin the tire in the mud.
If you have the Detroit locker or they are called a No-Spin. You would be able to drive away because it is going to put the same force to each wheel no matter what. With a DL you could actually break an axle off of one side and still drive it home because it is going to act like a spool in the differential as long as you are putting power to the rear end. The military and all the state trucks run Detroit lockers. They are just bullet proof. I ran one in a GMC dually pickup for years pulling a cattle goose neck trailer and we weighed over 30,000# all the time. It was all GM installed in the trucks back in the old days from the factory
NYB likes this.

02 F350 Lariet CCLB 4wd Dually 7.3 6sp M. 122,000 miles, Manual hubs and transfer case.
Stock as of yet. So far have bought
4" MBRA turbo back with muffler
GTP 38R BB turbo and WWII wheel and high flow housing, Non EBV pedestal, Adrenaline HPOP.
New IH up-pipes, Aluminum intake plenums, 203* Therm with aluminum housing, Boost relief valve, all new boots, FPRx and HPRx. Coolant and Trans Filter kits. Max AC Assist control Valve. 8 gauges,
Boost,Pyro,Fuel,HPOP,LPOP pressure. Water,Oil and Trans Temp. Need tunes and injectors yet.
03 26' CM 4 Horse trailer and 25' GN flat bed.

06 F-350 Lariet CCSB SRW 4wd Auto 6.0 78,000
miles. Atlas 80 with Ed's lifetime, Blue spring, MBRP 4" turbo back with muffler, Bully Dog for monitoring. So far no problems.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the reply, BS Hauler. Problem is that I tow a short 5th wheel TT and often need to power through uphill hairpin turns on pavement. Can't let off the juice. Where I really need the extra traction is for gravel roads. Maybe I should retrofit with an electric locker?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickReichert View Post
Maybe I should retrofit with an electric locker?

I think so. I have the factory E-Locker in my 2012 F-150 and it works great. When it's unlocked, you have an ordinary open axle. Mine is unlocked 99% of the time. But mash the button and you have both rear axle shafts tied together, so both rear tires are going to turn at the same speed. No good on dry pavement, but great for snow or ice or mud on relatively straight roads. On gravel roads, you'd love it on relatively straight roads, but one tire is going to slip when negotiating curves or turns. So you wouldn't want to be going too fast when driving on a curvy gravel road.

The electronic locking rear diff was available on 2011-up F-250, so you can get it from Ford parts counter for a bunch of money. I don't see it on fordparts.com or tousleyfordparts.com, but they do have the limited slip for over $1,100 (list price over $1,500), so I'm sure the e-locker diff will cost your firstborn son from the parts counter. I don't see an electric locker for a 2011-up F-250 on the Randy's website. They do have an air locker which would work the same except you'd have to have an air compressor installed to make it work.
Randy's Ring&Pinion Diff Wizard

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 11-27-2015 at 11:32 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 04:51 PM

Garage
I have two ARB lockers front and rear, ARB 44 Accessories | Air Lockers & Accessories - ARB 4x4 Accessories, these seem to be the way to go for the earlier models.
Like Smokey said no good on dry pavement, but great for snow or ice or mud on relatively straight gravel roads, you will need a small compressor though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3ltr 4R100HD rebuilt, 160,000 Klms
GTP38R , Turbo-master , IH Bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff CAC boot kit, AIH delete, .
4" Turbo back exhaust ,Banks power elbow, LPG (Gas over diesel) DP F6 tuner, 40hp tow, 60hp tow, 80hp tow, 60hp, 80hp, 120hp race, Decel, 1200 RPM.
RiffRaff 6637 intake ,pre filter, Snorkle
Custom made trans cooler with twin thermo fans ,water to oil cooler
Scangauge 11,AutoMeter Trans temp, pyro ,Water/Oil temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost.
Longrange 120 ltr fuel tank and transfer pump, 15,000 lb winch, Warn winch bar, Lightforce HID spot lights, HID headlights, Black Widow Drawer System, Snugtop Canopy with gull windows, Fr & Rr ARB Diff locks, Hornblaster Train horns, Post fuel pump filter, RiffRaff FRx and HPx , Bilsteins x4, Onboard compressor , Air tank and water traps, Billet door handles, Alpine headset, Alpine overhead DVD player, Rockford Fosgate sub, Alpine amp and CD changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in