Brake controllers - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:00 PM

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ah, thank you Mark! Looks like an old fashioned wire up job!

Regards,

Paul - Pocono Mtns. USA
02 E350 15 Passenger Cream Puff, 92,000 Miles, 5.4L Gasser

'90 E350 7.3L Ex-Ambulance High Top 420K Miles, No Turbo, Stock Stock stock, No ELC! (Extended Life Coolant) & 10 Oz. Bars Stop Leak. 10 wonderful cool years using Freeze12 without any AC system modifications. Retired with blown trans.

Drunk Driving - America's #1 Form Of Terrorism!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
There is a connector to attach a controller. It's located near the parking brake pedal.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 PM

My Photos: (0)
Anyone use the TruControl by Hensley?

I noticed that this electronic brake controller (with a twist) is not mentioned in this thread, nor in the summary that this thread links to.

Being that it is from Hensley Manufacturing, the makers and marketers of the Hensley Arrow bumper pull hitch, the Trailersaver fifth wheel and gooseneck Airride hitch, as well as Mckesh Towing mirrors... all said to be the at the top of their repespective catagories, it seems that their TruControl brake control should be considered in the mix.

According to Aaron at Hensley Manufacturing, Colin Connell hired an engineer from the now out of business Brakesmart company several years ago, and that engineer spent two years developing algrorithims that simulated the Brakesmart braking characteristics.

In other words, they found that there was consistency and predictablity in how the Brakesmart applied power to the trailer brakes given the inputs from the brake fluid pressure transducer, a lateral accelerometer, and other inputs. Apparantly, they graphed the power outputs in various conditions, and programmed response values into the Trucontrol to mimick the performance of the Brakesmart.

There is no need to adjust gain, as full power is available at all times, and the Trucontrol is designed to use it as required based on dynamically changing conditions.

So I was told, anyway.

I've never personally used one. I just called Hensley and asked about it, because I liked how much more brake and power information the Trucontrol Gold displayed on the digital display. It definitely looks different than the other controllers, other than the MaxBrake.

I'm not advocating TruControl, nor am I cautioning against them. It just seems that any sticky that is intended to provide a comprehensive survey of the trailer brake controllers on the market should probably include these Trucontrols that Hensley has been selling for the last 5 years or so.

2000 F-550 CC 4x4 7.3L 4R100 MSOF CNH4; Racor CCV3550-FRD-02, AIS, AIC, and NO deletes.
Banks Intercooler & Pipes, 3.5 down & out, Big Head, Quick Turbo & Wheel, and NO chips/programs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:55 PM

Location: I live on the Oregon coast in Winchester bay in a Motorhome on a private lot.
My Brake Controller

I recently purchased a 94 IDI and it has a brake controller. It has a red light that lights up when I step on the brakes. This controler has a brake line or hydraulic line connected to it. I have never seen this before can someone explain it to me? is it old technology or a better system I have only had a protogy before.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 06:21 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
It's old technology, but in my experience it works very well.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:38 AM

My Photos: (1)
The hydraulic line model like you describe has a very small cylinder and it has a pin that pushes a metal strip across a resistor. IF it pushes it all the way down due to high enough hydraulic pressure then you have full brake current. There is a preload spring adjustment to regulate the hudraulic pressure needed to get full braking on trailer.
When ABS was introduced on trucks these were discontinued and the reason widely touted was use of these with ABS would instantly condemn you to HELL. I used them for years on ABS equipped trucks and purposely braked to get ABS active and observed no ill effects. I got electronic units and scrapped them and went back with the hydraulic type until an electronic style with a pressure sensor that mimics this old style was introduced.
Keep using it until leaks. It even works with electric over hydraulic trailer brakes, something many electronic controllers, even factory fitted, can't claim.

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 11:37 PM

Location: I live on the Oregon coast in Winchester bay in a Motorhome on a private lot.
Thanks

It apparently is wired to the trailer plug because it lights up red when you step on the brake pedal tomorrow I will check the back plug for power with the pedal held down. Thanks to both of you.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:46 AM

Exclamation My F-350 4x4 dually let me down....

The brake controller said "trailer unhooked" and beeped constantly, then, after checking it out every time, we lost brakes while hauling our LQ with two horses on board. Luckily, we got it stopped by shifting down and putting ER brake on...

Fast forward.... dealer says nothing wrong with brakes. Sold truck back to them. Bought a small Kenworth to pull with. Done.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-28-2015, 07:01 AM

Likely you had an issue on the trailer with the wiring, probably the ground.. My 11' an 15' both are fairly sensitive to the issue, and will act as you describe.. I finally figured the issue out, the more i towed.. Hook the same trailer to my 99' gmc or the 03' ford, i had no issue.. Hook it to the 02' ford, it would act the same as the 11' and now the 15'.. One min you would have brakes, a mile down the road you wouldnt.. Simply attaching a set of jumper cables from the trucks bed to the trailer cured the issue.. Cleaning the ground wire for the trailers brakes was the fix..

the fleet; ferds ,02'f350,01'f450, 11' f350 the generals ,82'2500, 82'2500 4x4, 82' blazer, 86' blazer ,93'3500, 96'3500, and a 99' 3500hd with 12 valve cummins power. the goats, 90'd250, 91'd350 4x4, all are diesel powered. a list of bigger stuff, as well as gasser's, got lucky, wife comes from a family that collects junk iron too!
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 12:33 AM

How much weight did this Ford diesel trucks/van can carry? I am an factory owner and have purchased some machinery and want to ship them to my factory location at Melbourne, Fl. I am thinking of hiring a truck or van for hauling from an auto transport company.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 10:42 AM

I really like my Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller. I never had an issue. It has told me when there no trailer brakes working. I can adjust the boost level depending on the trailer I'm towing. I have the lowest boost level when towing an empty trailer. Then when I have a a heavy trailer like a dump trailer full of firewood or a car hauler trailer towing 6500+ truck. It does 1-4 axle brakes.

I have a trailer that one of my buddy's tried borrowing it and saying that it doesn't have brakes and when I drive the trailer I feel the brakes working. He's a big rig driver and he's trying to tow with F250 on a different controller.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 09:10 PM

My Photos: (2)
Time to replace my 20 year old controller and looks like it maybe the Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller. Really wanted to go with the Maxbrake but apparently Maxbrake is out of business as well as brakesmart, I can not find any current links or info on forums about them. Anything else that is comparably to the maxbrake on the market? I have been reading and researching different forums and threads and there have been a few I've never heard of so not sure about them. Often I find the same info when I research the other companies, either not much info or all the threads are old and I cant find any info on them.

Truck is a 97 F350 dually crewcab, 7.3 with a few minor mods, 4:10 rear with a manual 5 speed.

trailer weighs 5000lbs empty and it usably tips the scales around 11000lbs loaded. tandem axles with 4 brakes.

I'm open for suggestions. Thanks guys!

97 F-350 2wd crewcab dually-5 speed-3" down pipe-4 postion chip-lit up like las vegas and a few other little tweaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in