F350 Bed length for 5th wheel - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By wpetko

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F350 Bed length for 5th wheel

Since I am researching the F350, I figured I should find out if the short bed can do 5th wheel. In the Order guide for the F250 it lists that the 5th wheel base is only on the long bed, but haven't really seen anything on the F350. More than likely it will be on a 15 or 16 Platinum, unless by some miracle a 2017 Plat comes my way with a really good price on it. Just want to make sure that a few years down the road when I go to get my first 5th wheel RV that I would be stuck not being able to tow due to bed length.

DD 2018 F150 Platinum 3.5 EB
Tow Baby, 2012 F350 King Ranch SRW SB. Rolling Thunder III
Sold due to neglect
U.S.N. Paradise BB91904 '99 F350 CC LWB DRW
Mods, SuperHyper Improbability drive stage II.
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 04:10 PM

My Photos: (2)
A short bed can work but in order to gain the benefit of a 5th wheels turning radius when backing up, you would need to install a slider hitch if you pan to install the hitch in the proper location. If it's a manual slider, then you will need to remember to use it or risk losing your rear cab window.

Personally, I would suggest you base your decision on how much time the truck will spend in parking lots. If it's mainly used for highway use and pulling, a long bed wins every time in comfort and stability. But I don't have to tell you that, I see from your sig your 99 was a LB.

I have never owned a SB and probably never will but I also usually take the car when I'm going into town shopping... a 172 wheelbase can be a pain in small parking lots.

2007 F350 SRW 6.0L Auto, 3.73LS, 172"WB 4x4. Viper Alarm/RS, WD pillar Guages,AutoEnginuity, 100gal polished alum fuel tank.
All Sold: 99.5, early03 , 2004 - all were 172" wb 4x4 lariat's.

My Worklog - *Updated 8/18 with Edge CTS2 install click here =>*:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

If a SB works with the proper hitch, then that makes it easier locating the right truck as most are SB that I found. I would love another Dually like I had. I felt like I was back in a big rig when I drove it, but like you said, parking lots are a pain, and parking garages, forgetaboutit! Of course even a SB SRW can be a pain in garages. Thankfully my garage is large enough for a Dually Screw LB with room to spare.

Sold due to neglect
Hypermax 5" turbo back system, triple pillar guages, Heater core shutoff. AEM Brute Force intake. 3.73 gearing. DP PCM with 80HP Installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 10:59 PM

My Photos: (8)
A slider hitch will make a short bed work just fine.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Revisiting this thread now that I found the right truck, right in that the price was right and it is in very good shape, and we like it. It is a SB, and has a CURT Q20 installed already. I don't know what they towed with it, but no dents in the cab. Is there a specific way I should take measurements for when I research trailers? If I can make the existing hitch work with a trailer we like, great, otherwise I can look into replacing it with a slider instead. I would prefer not to if I don't have to.

Sold due to neglect
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:57 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Some 5th wheels have pin boxes that jut forward quite a bit, which might negate the need for a slide hitch. That was the case for my last one that I sold about 4 years ago. I had a slider that I never used...the pin was almost a foot in front of the trailer front panel, IIRC.

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/rebuilt 4R100, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods, lakes and streams if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 08:23 AM

I have a 15 SB and pull a 32' Montana. I have a B&W companion hitch without a slider works fine. I never found a need for a slider. I have towed my 5th wheel over 30,000 miles so far without a issue. I have mine one hole back from the forward most hole and as low as I could get it. I could move the hitch back one more hole if I need to but so far we are golden.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I downloaded the manual for the Q20 so that I have it when shopping.

Sold due to neglect
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2019, 10:52 AM

My Photos: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1377 View Post
Some 5th wheels have pin boxes that jut forward quite a bit, which might negate the need for a slide hitch. That was the case for my last one that I sold about 4 years ago. I had a slider that I never used...the pin was almost a foot in front of the trailer front panel, IIRC.
Some fifth wheel RVs, Heartland products particularly, have a curved front cap that allows an angle of nearly 90 degrees without the front of the trailer getting near the cab of a truck with a short bed & no need for a slider hitch. Having towed 5th wheels for many years, I can’t imagine ever needing to get to an angle like that. You might want to wait & see if your eventual 5th wheel has such a front cap before you just bail off & buy a slider hitch that you don’t need.
ACD2 likes this.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.

Last edited by wpetko; 11-18-2019 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Spelling & punctuation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in