Help with Diff in Model years - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with Diff in Model years

So I am starting to look at newer trucks and really do not know a lot about the newer Fords. I currently have a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Cab CTD SRW truck but I am looking at buying a 5th wheel in 3-4 years and need a rig that can pull a 22,000lb GVWR trailer. So the newer Fords and Dodges both will pull this trailer. I am looking at F450's and am curious about the differences between then 2016 and 2017 model years. I have found a few 2016's that I really like and then a 2018 that I like. So what where the BIG changes? What doesn't the 2016 have that the newer models do?

If anyone wants to get into this discussion what about the newer Ram 3500/4500 trucks? I've owned Dodges for the past 18 years and have had great luck with them. When I was looking for a tow rig back then I was also looking for a 7.3 Ford but found a Dodge that fit.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:39 AM

My Photos: (17)
I canít really answer your questions because Iím not familiar with the differences (if any) in the newer model year trucks. I will, however commend you for considering an F-450 to tow a rig as heavy as you described. Hey! Nobody ever complained about having too much truck.
I suggest that you & everyone else here read my article, ď Vehicles for RV Towing - How to Get It RightĒ which is published on www.thisoldcampsite.com. Please check it out along with my other articles & let me know what you think.
Good luck & let us know how this works out for you.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 04:43 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
One thing that you need to look into is the registration and insurance on a F450.

In some states it isn't too bad while others want you to register if as a commercial vehicle.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Yes I have already looked into that. No issue with the F450 for me.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpetko View Post
I canít really answer your questions because Iím not familiar with the differences (if any) in the newer model year trucks. I will, however commend you for considering an F-450 to tow a rig as heavy as you described. Hey! Nobody ever complained about having too much truck.
I suggest that you & everyone else here read my article, ď Vehicles for RV Towing - How to Get It RightĒ which is published on Please check it out along with my other articles & let me know what you think.
Good luck & let us know how this works out for you.

I can't post links yet.

I was a long haul truck driver and spent 28 years in the military so I understand fitting your rig to what you want to tow. Yes a F350 can tow the same weight but the F450 IMHO is the better option for putting a lot of miles on the rig. Now if someone can just help me to understand what the 2017 has that the 2016 doesn't.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:03 AM

The 2017 has substantially beefed-up underpinnings, a more powerful turbodiesel engine and a larger crew cab than the 2016.

The 2017 has a significantly larger fully boxed frame that's made of 95 percent high-strength steel. The 2017 hitch receiver is better integrated into the frame compared to the 2016, making it possible to tow conventional trailers up to 21,000 pounds without using a weight-distributing hitch.

The 2017 F-450's turbocharged 6.7-liter diesel V8 makes 440 hp and 925 ft-lbs vs 440 hp and 860 ft-lbs for the 2016. The 2017 has all-aluminum body panels to reduce the truck's weight, and larger crew-cab dimensions taken from the F-150 make for a larger, more comfortable interior.

The list of available technology new to the 2017 includes several new features, including LED headlights and foglights and adaptive cruise control. Towing-related technologies include an updated blind-spot monitoring system that can cover the length of the trailer, a seven-camera system that gives a 360-degree view of the truck's surroundings, a second rearview camera that greatly simplifies fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailer hookup, an integrated trailer tire-pressure monitoring system, and a backup camera that can be affixed to the tail of the trailer.

The 2017 Super Duty's road manners have improved compared to the 2016. The stiffer frame and revised suspension tuning combine to deliver more confidence-inspiring handling and a somewhat smoother unladen ride than that of the 2016.

What really sets the 2017 Super Duty apart from the 2016 is its technology. The Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera System includes a front camera with a 180-degree field of view that can come in very handy when pulling out of a street or driveway where visibility is limited. Two rearview cameras make hooking up fifth-wheel, gooseneck and conventional trailers a straightforward process, and four additional cameras provide a 360-degree top-down view of the truck and its surroundings that can be extremely useful in maneuvering in close quarters.

As far as the bed goes, the 2017 F-450 uses aluminum that is both 20 percent thicker than that used in the F-150 and backed by beefier crossmembers designed to stand up to more rugged use.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

Don,
Thank you for the reply. I have tried to do some searches and had not found out half the information you just gave. So if I am going to buy a newer truck it does make sense to go a head and get a 2017 or newer rig. And of course all this comes at a large price tag but I'll admit that some of these features would be worth the extra money.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 09:02 AM

My Photos: (17)
It just occured to me that you could Google up the Trailer Life Magazine Towing Guide. This will give you the towing capacities of all makes & models of trucks that are available is the US. Iím not completely sure, but I think that the on line guide may go back five years or so making it a good tool for comparing different year models.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in