Realistic Towing Capacity - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Towing and Hauling Towing and hauling with Ford diesel trucks and vans.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Steve83

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Realistic Towing Capacity

Hey everyone and thank you for having me.

I currently own a 99 F250 extended cab single axle with the 7.3. By far the best truck i have every owned.

I have a question regarding realistic town. I'm a small farmer and the truck carries a single round bale of hay off my spear anywhere i need it to go. I am currently shopping for a round bale hay hauler gooseneck, and am wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I don't want to overload the truck, and don't plan on driving cross country,. max 3-4 hours one way. The truck is complete stock with standard trans. I want to buy the round bale hauler that best fits the truck.

Appreciate any guidance with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:47 AM

My Photos: (8)
Soooo, if it can tow the load for one hour it will do fine for 48 hours(to some people 4 hours is cross country)!!! If you want to be legal you are looking at around a 12,000 lb load including trailer. If you are are not pushing hills and do not need to pass any one it will pull more but it will be over the legal GVWR. How about some more info. Total miles on truck and tranny/auto or manual/ what part of the country/ any mods to the truck/early or late model 99?
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 AM

There is no "towing capacity" or limit - the truck can pull a battleship, for a short distance & at a low speed. The only hard limits are the legal ones when on public roads. If that's what you're asking, it's explained in the owner's manual:
http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/

If you're asking what you'll be comfortable towing regardless of legal technicalities - only you can say. The more you drive the truck, the more you'll know how to tow, and the more-comfortable you'll be. So to start, stay low, and work your way up slowly. Don't jump from a single bale to 20.

If you're asking what will hurt the truck - that depends on how well it's maintained, and the quality of the towing equipment you use. You can certainly find a brand new cheapo trailer; and you can find a well-built one, which will probably cost a little more (because it'll be a better design, with thicker steel, and stronger suspension on better tires). Same for the hitch. I don't have one, but if I get another big pickup, I'll put a B&W Turnover Ball on it.

So to give you more-specific answers, you have to supply a LOT more-specific information. It's better for you if we can see it all in your signature so we can review it every time we want to reply, without having to ask or go digging back through your old posts or threads. Look at DENNY's signature, and read this caption:

(phone app link)
85351ho likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

I will get more Information for you all in the morning when I get back to to house. Never thought about the signature idea but I'll get it done make it easier. Thanks for all the input.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 04:05 PM

Steve83 gave you the link to the owner's manual, repeated here.
http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/
Go to the diesel supplement page 16, where it gives your GCWR of 20,000 lbs. for gooseneck. Weigh your truck, and subtract that weight from the 20,000 lbs. That is the maximum weight of your trailer and cargo. Subtract the weight of the trailer to get the cargo capacity. Weigh your round bale to see what it weighs. Divide the cargo capacity by the weight of one bale to get the number of bales that you can carry. Look for a trailer that can carry that number of bales. Also check the driver's side door pillar to see what is the GVWR of your truck. A gooseneck trailer carries about 25% of its weight on the hitch. For example, a 5 bale trailer with two 6,000 lb axles would carry 12,000 lb on the trailer axles and 4,000 lb on the hitch. A 4 bale trailer with two 4,500 lb axles would carry 9,000 lbs on the trailer axles and 3,000 lb on the hitch.

2001 F350 XLT 4X4 crew cab, dual rear wheels, long bed, black, 7.3l turbo diesel, automatic transmission, 4.10, shift on the fly, running boards, sliding rear window, 38 gal fuel tank, Odyssey extreme 65-PC1750T batteries, Michelin LTX-MS2 rear tires, Sumitomo Encounter front tires, Shell Rotella Ultra elc, 11,500 gvwr, 20,000 gcwr, 7500 gvw, completely stock, 114,000 miles when purchased, now has 250,000 miles, repairs so far: two starters, batteries, cps, brakes, tires, alternator, ball joints, locking hub, wheel hub, AC compressor, serpentine belt, power steering pump, driver's side window, ignition switch, o-ring, Spectra premium radiator, water pump, fan clutch, fan blades, thermostat, thermostat housing, tensioner. Stolen twice so far, but recovered both times with major damage.

2005 Nomad Rampage toyhauler made by Skyline. 11,500lb gvwr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Towing and Hauling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in